Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
DaveLong

M.O.C. #26929
Winegard gateway prewire

My 2021 3781RL is supposed to be pre-wired for the winegard air 360+ gateway wifi router. I removed the round cover from the bedroom ceiling and found wiring, 3 antenna wires with slide in connectors and a red/white wire loop. I called keystone to confirm this and they told me the wiring loop should be a green/white loop. After I explained that the red/white loop was the only other wiring in the ceiling and that is was bundled with the antenna wires with a tye wrap they said that was right and I should tap into the red/white loop. I did that, then measured the voltage and discovered 24vdc. The router only requires 12vdc so I can't use it. I could use some advice on where to tap into a 12vdc line or how to run a line into this ceiling.

DaveLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
M&M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27628
I installed the Winegard gateway this weekend. I didn't want to install the switch in the ceiling as recommended by the dealer using the installed power. So I pulled a 18/2 wire to the DC fuse panel and installed the switch in the control center with all of the other switches. It took a little work to find a path, but I'm pleased with the result.
Tools that made it easier were - fiberglass fish sticks, DEPSTECH wireless endoscope camera. The camera helped me find the path for the wire and the sticks to route the pull string.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Very nice. Ours is run without a switch. So far it is working well.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:19 AM   #4
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
I was told from dealer it plugs in to the ceiling there’s a socket it sides in to ??? What’s with a switch ???
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
M&M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27628
If you are talking about the GE-1000 gateway, “plugs” in is a stretch. It requires a splice into the supplied power.

Download the install manual from Winegard and it has clear instructions on the steps.

As far as the switch, I chose to install it so I could turn it off when running on batteries and no service for it to repeat. And I didn’t use the “splice into power” method.

Winegard manual Step 4 – Choose a location to install the supplied Wall Plate with Power On/ Off switch. When selecting a location, remember that a +12VDC power cable will need to be run from the Gateway to the switch.

NOTE: If the power wire was not installed, you will need to install your own power wire. It is recommended to use 18 gauge wire no longer than 50 feet with a dedicated 12VDC circuit and a 3A fuse. See the Air 360+ installation
Old 06-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
jbav

M.O.C. #28917
Hi, I have the same setup, mine is prewired with the red/white as well. Thanks for the voltage info...weird that the power to the 360 is 12v, I set one up in the shop (I have access to the product) be nice to tap into that but I wonder if voltage drop would affect things. Since i only use serviced sites, Im not worried about a switch as my battery wont be drained (minimal). Im checking with a elec friend if there is a way to drop from 24 to 12v...see what happens.
jbav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
jbav

M.O.C. #28917
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbav View Post
Hi, I have the same setup, mine is prewired with the red/white as well. Thanks for the voltage info...weird that the power to the 360 is 12v, I set one up in the shop (I have access to the product) be nice to tap into that but I wonder if voltage drop would affect things. Since i only use serviced sites, Im not worried about a switch as my battery wont be drained (minimal). Im checking with a elec friend if there is a way to drop from 24 to 12v...see what happens.
Spoke with Keystone service, there is no 24V wiring in their trailers...at least not in my passport...and they confirmed the color scheme as either pink/white (red I say) or green white...which comes from the panel and leads up to the power supply of the 360+ which is also powered by 12v...hope this helps...Im installing mine in the next day or so.
jbav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Lewynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #28266
We just bought a new high country 383th and was told it already has the gateway router installed and the windguard 360+. I had a little sticker about turning on the wifi service but can't find it. Does anyone know where the routers are located at? Seems I'll need to put a Verizon sim card in it? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #9
M&M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27628
Typically the router would be directly below the roof 360+ antenna.