Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 AM   #21
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Just a thought, but why not buy 100, 200 or 300 shares(whatever your ES contract budget is) of AT&T currently paying $2.00 per share in dividends per year instead of the ES contract. Just let the dividends pile up and withdraw them as needed for repairs to supplement money that should already be in your repair budget since ES contracts never cover everything ((deductibles etc). If you get a really big repair that you can't cover from the saved dividends and yearly added cash from your budget, you sell stock to cover it. You get a nice return, it pays for most if not all your repairs and if you are lucky money left over when all is said and done.

Just me but, AT&T is cheap at current prices and you'll likely get some price appreciation along the way. To heck with ES contracts... self insure. Buying stock is not scary stuff.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #22
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
WE have corner stone for another 3 years. already paid for itself. cooling unit went out after warranty. love it and will have it again.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes the warranty must be "exclusionary" and what is NOT covered will be clearly listed. The repair facilities also prefer to be paid by electronic transfer. It is also very important to read the contract as the most common reason for a claim being denied is the contract holder did not get prior approval.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:23 AM   #24
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Yes that’s right. I cancelled the extended warranties that Crapping World “helped” me buy (I know, I had to participate in the purchase too!). But, by canceling the $7200 (all of them added) I save that $7200+ the $7200 that pays down my loan + over $7000 in interest on the loan! ��
That was for a 4 year warranty, so now I am self-insured. Course I can’t really travel for 3+ years, til I retire! So I think will work out fine. Especially the $1100 tire warranty which will buy my new tires when I do hit the road! Live and learn.
They always want you to put it on your loan. We do not do that, Just in case we cancel we get the refund back in cash. If it is in the Loan, it goes back to the Bank to pay down on the loan. THEY NRVER TELL YOU THAT!!!!! So we pay cash for it to use the money to help pay for the repair they refuse to pay for. When buying an RV, at the end of the deal, if we decide to purchase an extended warranty, we pay cash for it. We have found that this is the best way to do that, or put your cash in a CD , interest rates looking pretty good now. Loan rates are sucking really BAD now! NOW AM JUST SAYING...….
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:36 AM   #25
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
that sounds about what i am being quoted. $3300 for 6 years.
don't do it. Buy stock or put money in a cd
Old 11-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
[QUOTE=barryn;1123039]don't do it. Buy stock or put money in a cd[/QUOTE

The DOW was about 8000 ten years ago now it’s about 26000. That’s over 4 X increase. If you had put the money in the bank the interest would barely cover inflation, if it did. And it’s been that way for the 40 + years I’ve been investing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #27
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
We just bought a 5 year old class “C” strictly for 2 years of Alaska & western NP’s
( Yes we’ve lost our minds) keeping 5’er also.
Wholesale Warranties was $1K less than Good Sam
for 3 years unlimited miles. GS 3 year 36 K miles
Before WW would underwrite they sent an independent inspector who spent 3 hours going over coach. This was the most through fine tooth comb deal I’ve ever seen! Had me real nervous cause we had already paid cash for motor home. If something fails it’s your expense to repair then reinspect to be included in warranty.
Inspection passed with NO issues!
Now this 5 year old motor home has a better warranty than it did when sold NEW !
It pays to check around!
PS we have GS 84 month warranty on 5’er it was $4400 ( they will negotiate $ on warranty)
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #28
LeonBlack
Established Member

M.O.C. #21807
I bought my extended warranty through Camping World as well. $7900 and change for 5 years. Today as I was reading through the comments concerning extended warranties I get a call from CW about the trailer I have in for repair. Seems my extended warranty company (Good Sam) has refused to pay a couple of claims based on lack of service on the trailer?? WHAT?? I asked, It seems because I did not get to use the trailer for the first year I had it that now... The extended warranty may be worthless because it was not at CW costing me more money??

Has anyone ever awoke from a nightmare so bad that it seemed real only to discover it was. You could not make the stuff up if you tried

I would like to pound the guy that said retiring in one of these was a good idea.. Wait that was me.. curses foiled again
LeonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #29
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryn View Post
don't do it. Buy stock or put money in a cd
CD is the only way to go.....through Credit Unions are Great...….get one for your RV, Truck, House appliances, TV, re-roof your house, water heater replacement....and if you make a CD for each item, when it comes time to use one, you won't lose interest gained as you would on just one CD to cover everything.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #30
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
Yes that’s right. I cancelled the extended warranties that Crapping World “helped” me buy (I know, I had to participate in the purchase too!). But, by canceling the $7200 (all of them added) I save that $7200+ the $7200 that pays down my loan + over $7000 in interest on the loan! 😲
That was for a 4 year warranty, so now I am self-insured. Course I can’t really travel for 3+ years, til I retire! So I think will work out fine. Especially the $1100 tire warranty which will buy my new tires when I do hit the road! Live and learn.
There is no way you should have paid 7200 for an extended warranty!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are looking at our Cornerstone extended service contract ultimate coverage as we type.We all know of course that if the Rv or the vendors product is still under warranty the extended service contract does not pay. What they pay or do not pay will be clearly stated in the contract .

It is a 4 year contract total premium 2595 100.00 deductible.That is 648.50 per year . We have used it on this 3402 4 times for a total of 400.00 deductible. Two failed holding tanks, replaced the cooling unit on the fridge and a failed wheel bearing on the 3402 that destroyed everything in the hub. The failed wheel bearing and the damage it caused was just short of 800.00 mobile repair service as we were along I-95 in Florida. We still have a year and 1/2 left on the contract. I do not know if we got our money back and we never expected to.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #32
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Sounds kind of like the Ben Dover warranty!!!

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:22 AM   #33
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
No extended warranty, warranty on RV's are a Sham. Get your money back as fast as you can an go buy yourself something nice. Like one member said, if your RV breaks , take it to a RV Repair guy. NOT a Dealership, they don't want to see you unless your buying from them! Been there and done that. The truth hurt me more than you, and on another note RV repair people can do a bitter job in most cases. And when it comes time to buy another RV, pay one of these RV repair guys to help you check the unit out!!! They can be a good help.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #34
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
With who ??? Plz
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #35
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
............I have a 7 year, extended warranty with a $50.00 dollar deductible for under $3500.00.
Ditto RKassl..............got a 7 year extended warranty on our 2020 Montana 3780RL with $0 deductible and it can used at any rv service center and on-site by mobile service technicians. Covers component and operator error failures.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #36
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
..............Course I can’t really travel for 3+ years, til I retire! So I think will work out fine. Especially the $1100 tire warranty which will buy my new tires when I do hit the road.............
Agree you should replace all your tires if the trailer sits for 3 years for safety insurance but 4 trailer tires will likely cost less than $1100. For example, four (4) 14 ply Saliun radial tires (ST235/80R16G mfg part no. 541960) cost $665 plus installation. That is what I did after returning from a 3 year overseas assignment, even though the trailer had limited use.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #37
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I get good prices and good service a CW. For that reason my last 4 units were bought there. When going into finance I hand him a paper with the interest rate from my lender, if he cannot beat it he calls them. In big bold print below that is written "NO WARRANTIES ~ NONE~ other than coming from manufacturer". By self insuring vehicles and campers I'm $30,000 ahead at a minimum. Besides, faster service by mobile techs and service centers.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:21 PM   #38
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
NEVER AGAIN..... GS said they cover slide outs... So my slides messed up... it need a brakes on one and a new gear box on another... I have a 500 deductible.. The braket was 70 and the gear box was 175.. The work involved "Aligning the slides " so they go in and out straight ..Good Sams REFUSED because under the motor home section the contract said it does not Cover Shocks, Ball joints nor Alignments.... They used this Alignment Clause on the Slide outs!!! " Sir, if you check in the motorhome section we do not cover alignments and this applies to aligning the slide outs".... What a bunch of MALARKY!!Oh Wait,
"malarky" is the Street next to FENWAY PARK...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #39
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
GS is not alone. No different than Nationwige or AARP ~~ all are insurance companies. Companies like all others to make a profit is their only objective. They spend millions to determine the most they can get you to spend with the least pay out. They are not in business for any reason other than to make the most profit possible. You bet you will win but the odds are NOT in your favor.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote