Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2015, 03:39 AM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Calling all Model Railroaders!

How many of you are or have been Model Railroaders? Do you search for Model Railroad Clubs as you travel about?

I have been a Model Railroader for many years. I model in HO Scale and always carry a few locomotives and cars with us in case I find a club that allows folks to run their own trains on their layouts. The biggest regret with fulltime RVing is no place to set up my shop/work area to paint, weather and work on my cars and engines.

Scott

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:29 AM   #2
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
we play with a small HO setup as well...14' x 14'...but have never taken things on the road with us...usually too busy seeing everything else around...interesting idea though...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Hi Scott, as you already know, I am/have been a model railroader for many years. I do not usually search out clubs while traveling but we do seek out tourist railroad in the areas where we go. Sometimes, when we plan a relaxing, (not running everywhere) trip, I will bring along a tool box and some models to build or work on. It's very relaxing to sit under the awning with a cold beer and a radio and build something.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
I can not remember the name of the place or museum but, it is in Hamburg, PA. It is miniature city with railroads running all thru it. I have been there twice in my life time and do want to go, again. Perhaps the next time we get to the Lancaster area.

Hey! Isn't there a great campground near by? I think a plan is coming to mind.

Anyway, I do have 2 Lionel models packed away in a box in the basement that do work. I don't recall the gage but, the one is nearly 50 years old with the steam locomotive that puffs real smoke and has a headlight.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Scott, I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have an HO gauge set that I haven't had out of the boxes in literally 30 years or so. The set is the 'Silver Streak' with quite a few cars, also have the double engine 'Santa Fe' I think, which is just the two engines. All are in good condition and if I recall all are still in their individual boxes with quite a bit of track and maybe a few other items. I have no idea what it's all worth but it isn't doing me or anyone else any good sitting in the basement. If anyone is interested I'd be willing to entertain offers. Again, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Tim, I would love to look at your models and make you an offer BUT my wife said if I buy any more model railroad stuff she is going to pack ME inside one of those boxcars and ship me off somewhere I will not like!! I think she really means it this time too!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
Entertainment Junction about 20 miles north of Cincinnati, Ohio. 2 miles of indoor track setup. Simply amazing.
Katherine1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
As a kid I was quite the train enthusiast. I inherited an old Lionel set that belonged to my uncle when he was a kid. I received in when I was about 8 or 9 years old. By then the train set was already over 20-25 years old. That would have been around 1963 or 1964. I had that train set until 1982 when I lost it in a house fire.

I did have another full blown HO set I set up around 1979. It I had all the switches and turn outs working and the entire thing set up pretty elaborate to run 2 engines at the same time. My situation changed, and I ended up giving the entire thing to another little boy who was enthralled with model railroading.

My next endeavor to get back into model railroading was getting a couple of those larger scale Christmas sets that go under the Christmas tree. But they came out only once a year.

Meanwhile, I still had a love for railroading and model railroading. In our travels we visited many, many railroad museums whenever one was in any kind of close proximity to where we were camping.

One year for our 2 week vacation, we visited every railroad museum in the state of Indiana. We traveled to 4 different State Parks and made the entire trip all about railroading. It was truly a great vacation.

My next resurgence of model railroading was around 2007 after my daughter left for the Navy. We had an extra room then and I started building a new layout. This was great, and I got to work on it for about 4 years, and the AND HER HUSBAND came back home and while with us ... had our first grandchild. Well, as you can imagine, the train came down as we needed that bedroom back.

Since then, we moved into a different house. Between remodeling the old one to sell it, and remodeling the new one to live in it, and between working, camping, and lots and lots of other things that life threw at us, I've not been able to build a new set.

About the time (in the new house), I thought I could break out all the model railroad stuff and build a new layout, my son divorced and came home with is 1 year old boy and has been living back home with us for the last 6 years. As destructive as that little guy was, and with no more bedroom space, the train has just remained put up.

I'd love to build another layout, but simply do not have room with son and grandson living with us.

Here's a few photos of where my original layout was going. I had a DCC system, 3 engines and a non DCC system, call "John Bull".

My overall plan was to build a model railroad campground. So as i was building the layout, I was also building my world.

The first part of the assembly was to lay some basic track. Next, the people who work on the railroad had to have somewhere to live, so a small worker's campground was built for them.

My wife got into the "it" also and she started designing the "visitor's" campground.

I would absolutely love to start all over again with a new layout now, and maybe now I finally have time. It took 13 years, but just last week, I finally finished with the last bit of remodel in our current house.

Last year for Christmas, I did set this up. It was sooooo much fun. But it came down after Christmas. FYI, this is the John Bull engine.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #9
Starman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23643
O gauge railroader here. Run my trains at tidewater o gauge club in norfolk, Va. They have a huge layout.
The wife and I always look for train museums and train rides when we vacation. We’ve ridden a lot of trains on the east coast.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Bryson City

If you’re ever in the Cherokee, NC area, there is a mountain train ride out of Bryson City. The ride ticket includes a tour of an active model train museum.

There is an active video in the reference below.

https://www.gsmr.com/

These are some of the pictures I took on our tour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee, NC  - bryson city NCpPG (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	8146 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee, NC  - bryson city NCpPG (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	8147

Name:	Cherokee, NC  - bryson city NCpPG (3).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	8148 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee, NC  - bryson city NCpPG (4).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	8149

Name:	Cherokee, NC  - bryson city NCpPG (5).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	8150 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee, NC  - bryson city NCpPG (6).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	8151

Name:	Cherokee, NC  - bryson city NCpPG (7).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	8152
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #11
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
You could always make an Ntrak or HO module. Standards are out there to keep the juices flowing without taking up much room. I've considered it, but then, its more "stuff" to carry. Maybe when we come off the road... For now, still selling off my inventory on ebay.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote