Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #1
ParryTack

M.O.C. #28656
Question Help Please

I just purchased a used 2008 (maybe 2007) Montana 3400RL that is really nice from my friend who’s father past away several months ago. Yeah for me!
I have owned several 5th Wheels in the past before my husband passed. And we lived full time for 9 years ending that stint with in a 45’ Dynasty Motor Home. So I’ve lots of experience with RV’s and traveling across the country.
QUESTION:
How do I close the slides??
I see ONE button in this RV that says Glide Room IN/OUT
In my previous experience there was always a button for EACH Slide.
There are 4 slides in this trailer. Do they all come in at once?
Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.
Today I purchased an adapter to turn the 5th wheel attachment to a gooseneck or ranch style hitch connection (I have horse trailers and a ball in the bed of my truck.
I’m having to move this trailer soon.
I’m at a loss....
Anita and 2 Bulldogs - in Tennessee trying to get back to Florida

ParryTack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In that era trailer (as is mine) there is just one switch. Press out and they will go out one at a time. Press in and they will come in one at a time. Usually lightest moves first followed by heavier ones.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Also be aware that the auto reset circuit breakers for the hydraulic pump were undersized and often prone to tripping. If you experience a situation where the slides start moving, stop for a few seconds, start again, stop, etc. etc. It is because of the circuit breaker. The original is typically 50 amp rated. Many of us have upgraded to 80 amp. Your previous owner may have already done that.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
ParryTack

M.O.C. #28656
Thanks Bill!
So this one doesn’t have a remote? She didn’t mention one.
Interesting that they all go in or all go out. I hope the newer ones work independently.
Anita.
Any other words of wisdom that might save me some time?
ParryTack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Have you pushed the button ? To try and pull in the slides, if your going to pull it back to Florida it would be wise to make sure all the wheel bearings, brakes and tires are all checked. Is the 12V battery any good.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Remotes came a few short years after our models I think. Although they were often problematic from postings here.

Newer models do allow you to selectively isolate slides with switches. Don’t know when they started that. Mine, and I am sure yours, does have a manifold on the hydraulic pump with knobs you can manually close to prevent a slide from moving if for some reason you wanted to do that.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Agree with BB_Tx. I had a 2006 that was that way.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you have a hatch at the left front of the trailer, there might be knobs in there that can turn off a slide or some of them. Not sure on yours if there will be a control on the outside.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:13 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Our rig has 5 slides, 3 Schwintek electric and 2 hydraulic. The 2 hydraulic ones are on the same switch and work as you describe. They also have 2 knobs inside the door where the level up controls are to lock out each slide for independent operation. The knobs simply open and close a valve in the hydraulic lines to prevent the slide from moving. When I need to open just the dining slide, like when I'm parked on the road in front of the S&B, I can lock out the kitchen slide. Otherwise, the kitchen slide opens into the street and will block traffic. I'm sure there are other times where it might be needed to operate one slide or the other, but that's the only time I need it.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Our rig has 5 slides, 3 Schwintek electric and 2 hydraulic. The 2 hydraulic ones are on the same switch and work as you describe. They also have 2 knobs inside the door where the level up controls are to lock out each slide for independent operation. The knobs simply open and close a valve in the hydraulic lines to prevent the slide from moving. When I need to open just the dining slide, like when I'm parked on the road in front of the S&B, I can lock out the kitchen slide. Otherwise, the kitchen slide opens into the street and will block traffic. I'm sure there are other times where it might be needed to operate one slide or the other, but that's the only time I need it.
Somewhere between 2006 and 2013 (my two units) they changed so there are switches on the outside of the rig near the front. ON the older models, it was inside the door on the front right by the pump and fluid container, I believe.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote