Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
SherriPayne

M.O.C. #27455
New to RV Living

Hello - I'm new to RV life, and love it so far. Except that I seem to be having continual problems with my new 2020 Montana High Country 362RD. I've only had my RV since September.
Everything from minor details, to much larger ones. The most recent being that my fireplace insert is not working, my propane vents are extremely HOT, and my heat pump blows cold air. I'm in central Texas, so the issue of heat hasn't been a big deal, until the past week when temps were down around 26 degree's. I've called my service/dealer and continue to get a run-around. Any advice?

I want to LOVE LOVE this new little home of mine, but having to address issues every single week is becoming a little overwhelming.

SherriPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Sherri,

First - welcome to the forum!

Heat pumps in our RVs do not have heat strips and they typically quit producing warm air when it gets to 40 outside.

Have not seen a complaint before on the furnace ducts getting too hot. Maybe the airflow is low?

The fireplaces are generally fairly easy fixes.

You might talk to Montana to get authorization to use a mobile tech vice taking it back to the dealer. Even if you pay for it your self getting an opinion from a mobile tech could be worthwhile.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
When you say "my propane vents are extremely HOT," are you referring to the vents on the outside of the RV? They exhaust the furnace burner gasses (and heat) and will get hot. Installing bug screens over them helps insulate you from getting too close to them (and keeps the mud daubers out).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
SherriPayne

M.O.C. #27455
I honestly wondered if that may be the case with the heat pump.

Would you possibly have a contact number for Montana? I would like to try the mobile tech. I think I'm just frustrated that if so many things are not working now after only 3 months, what's it going to be like once my warranty is out.

But also, I don't like over=reacting either, so I'm trying to learn what's "normal" for a new RV, versus yea.....maybe I have a problem. Would you have any advice on this?
SherriPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome and congrats on your new Montana.

Heat Pumps? Absolutely correct. Mine starts blowing cold air around 43-44 degrees outside. It works great until temps reach those lows.

We can run two electric ceramic heaters and the fireplace, and it will keep the camper comfortable till about 35. Then they can't keep up. (Fire place in the living room - upper floor), heater on kitchen stove top, heater in bed-room. However, if the bedroom door is shut, the little heater will cook us out in that room, even when outside temps are below 32. I have themometers all over our camper.

So, keeping the propane on about 69 and the electric heaters and fireplace set on about a medium setting, and we stay comfortable.

We use our camper all year round for camping and at home. When outside temps dip to the teens and stay there, we move back in the house.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Our HC362RD heat pump quits blowing any warm air around 48/degrees outside, which is normal for the heat pump feature. Check your breaker for the fireplace. Are you using the remote, or the buttons on the fireplace. The outside propane vent is very hot and will burn you if you come into contact with it, and that is normal. If we can ever help you out with your HC362RD, you can PM anytime also. We love ours.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Sherri your issues don't sound bad. Both the propane vent and the heat pump operation are normal. It will take a while to get adjusted to all the aspects of a new trailer, and, I've never bought a new one without some kind of issue; just always hope it's not a bad one. Folks here can be a super resource for you if something comes up. The fireplace might just be unplugged but you may want the dealer to handle that under warranty if they will get you in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
On our MHC 331RL, the fireplace quit after one month, replaced under warranty. Heat pump wouldn't work at all, turned out the factory reversed the installation of the A/C units so the heat pump was in the bedroom with the thermostat that doesn't provide heat. Water heater only worked on propane - turns out there is an on/off switch on the heater itself, which the factory set to "off" and covered over with foil tape. We used it for 5 months, then took it to the dealer with a page-long list, had it back within 2 weeks including winterizing and adding slide toppers all around.
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherriPayne View Post
Hello - I'm new to RV life, and love it so far. Except that I seem to be having continual problems with my new 2020 Montana High Country 362RD. I've only had my RV since September.
Everything from minor details, to much larger ones. The most recent being that my fireplace insert is not working, my propane vents are extremely HOT, and my heat pump blows cold air. I'm in central Texas, so the issue of heat hasn't been a big deal, until the past week when temps were down around 26 degree's. I've called my service/dealer and continue to get a run-around. Any advice?

I want to LOVE LOVE this new little home of mine, but having to address issues every single week is becoming a little overwhelming.
Welcome. If you have 2 fireplaces, only one at a a time will produce heat and if both on they will switch back and forth. Propane vents are hot. The thermostat for the heat pump is in the heat pump setting? At low ambient temps, it won't produce very warm air.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Sherry, welcome to the forum. All of us were first time owners at one time so don’t worry about asking any/all questions.
Did the fireplace work when you did your walk through? Some of the units need to be held in the on position for a couple of seconds to work.
Good luck!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #11
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondragon View Post
On our MHC 331RL, the fireplace quit after one month, replaced under warranty. Heat pump wouldn't work at all, turned out the factory reversed the installation of the A/C units so the heat pump was in the bedroom with the thermostat that doesn't provide heat. Water heater only worked on propane - turns out there is an on/off switch on the heater itself, which the factory set to "off" and covered over with foil tape. We used it for 5 months, then took it to the dealer with a page-long list, had it back within 2 weeks including winterizing and adding slide toppers all around.

If it is a Furrion fireplace I'm not surprised. Mine is working like a champ (and we have used it a lot) but I have no faith in anything with the Furrion name on it "just because" and I've replaced most things. Seems like the heat pump issue should have been found on PDI just like the hwh - Suburbans have the 2nd, useless IMO, electrical switch on them.

My 331, like every other new trailer I have purchased, had/has issues. This is my 2nd extended trip in this one and I still have another list to be fixed under warranty when I return...out of warranty. Keystone has agreed to take care of them and that's what I like about them regardless of what you hear. RVs are what they are, the key is understanding that and navigating the "system".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #12
LisaC3500
Established Member

M.O.C. #26336
We got our Montana in December and started finding things wrong with it as we used it. On the advice of this forum, made a list (that ended up to be a full page) took it to the dealer and had them do the warranty work. Second list wasn't as long. At first I was also concerned with the stuff we found but discovered it's pretty typical.

Now, husband seems to be continually tinkering, fixing or installing something, which is fine because it keeps him busy and out of my hair.

Good luck with your new trailer; we love ours.
2017 Ram 3500HD Laramie, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4, SRW
LisaC3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Pretty sure your heat pump is working as designed. F/P is different story, could be as simple as bad connection or breaker. If it were me, it would be "challenge accepted" The propane vent... if you mean furnace exhaust or water heater exhaust then yeah it gets hot your burning propane... think tailpipe on a car. If you mean the fridge vents... you are extracting heat to keep it cold... so they will feel warmer, but hot? Not an expert there, we have residential fridge.

As for minor stuff, I'd rather fix it myself than have to go through warranty/dealer hell since I'm Full timing in it. I've had to fix crown molding that fell on the first long move of the RV, leak in the hot water line to the island sink, remount the ceiling fan to eliminate a squeak, temporarily patch microwave vent which was leaking will finish repair in the spring when I have the time. Reinstalled floor trim piece that came off on right before we did the MORryde suspension upgrade. Had mobile tech come and diagnose AC electrical failure and install new ATS that had failed. Could have done it myself but DW wanted it done by pro since it was a significant warranty item and we needed it done pronto due to family emergency.

BTW, we did a major inside revision of the bedroom of our 3813MS.... pulled out the front closet and put in a wall to wall custom crafting hobby center that looks built in. Also made two platforms that fit in the space between the bed and the front of the RV and at the foot of the bed near the dresser. This raised and removable floor really adds utility and safety to anybody walking or or working in that space. Both are pulled out (stored on the bed) when we move the rig. We repurposed much of the closet materials in the project and also used it to add shelves in the kitchen and bathroom and racking in the basement to store our inflatible kayak and popup screen room... which work nicely for our application.

My point here is DIY is the name of the game. Most stuff is easier to fix yourself than you think. And waaaay cheaper. Personally, I get a sense of pride when A DIY project turns out as planned. So far... our RV and our projects in it have lived up to our plans.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
For the Furrion fireplace, does it light up at all? Totally dead, doesn't blow air?
Dead, check the plug in behind it. Circuit Breaker.
In addition to the remote control they have manual switches on the top right corner.
For other troubleshooting it would depend on how handy you are. There are YouTube videos showing disassemble and repair.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #15
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Welcome to the world of rolling earthquakes! The joys will certainly outdo the sorrows! welcome
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
Arapier

M.O.C. #27816
New owners of the 3820fk

So glad I found this forum. Already have read really good information regarding our 3820fk. We just bought the 2018. Being that it is winter here, we had to just put it into storage. We bought it for our property up on the river. We fell in love with this 5th wheel when we saw it.. we are calling it our mobile cabin. Saw that a lot of people replaced the bed with a queen...great idea so you can get to those cabinets. My husband Chris also appreciated the comments in regards to the fridge and fan gremlin. Any tips and tricks are truly appreciated.
Arapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #17
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Angela and Chris,

Welcome to the forum! Its a great place to learn and share.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
Arapier

M.O.C. #27816
Thank you
Arapier is offline   Reply With Quote