Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
New rig, tire shread

Brought brand new 367FL home last week. Headed out over the mountain pass to eastern Washington last night on our first trip. We had a tire completely fail coming just over Steven's Pass last night.

As some of you may know, we have had a chronic fish-tail problem since leaving the dealership. As quick summary--yes, we are high (by 2") in the front. We attempted to lower the hitch point to bring the rig level; however, it has caused the over hang to connect with the truck bed.

We naively assumed we could operate the LIpert electric jacks like our former hydraulic jacks--but could not figure out how to independently operate to lift the rig. The Ford F350 jack was not strong enough to lift the rig--so we called for road side assistance.

I don't know if we have axle problems--but we are taking the rig to the tire center today and replacing all four tires with something with greater substance. Open to any and all advice here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	6834  

214skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You got lucky at least that it doesn’t appear you suffered any damage to the rig. If it were me, I’d find a Les Schwab tire center and have them install a set of Sailuns on your rig. I see you have 8 lug wheels, so you may be able to run them at 110 psi, but if not, run them at the highest pressure the wheels allow. If you are able to run 110 psi, you will need metal valve stems. I would also get the 285/85R16 which is a little taller than the 285/80R16 so you will gain a little more height to help with the tail dragging low.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
It looks like you dodged a bullet by not having any damage to your rv. Be sure you buy g-rated tires and if they are available i would buy the Sailun 235x85x16 tires. This will raise the rv 1/2'' if you have the 235x80x16 tires and you certainly need a little extra height at the axles. If your tire dealer doesn't have the Sailun tires then you could order them from Simple tire and have them delivered to your dealer. I am sure there are other good G-rated tires out there but the Sailun tires are by far the most popular out there at a reasonable price. Good luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
From what little I can see of the tread, it doesn't appear to have unusual wear. Do you have a TPMS? If not, it is very possible (likely?) that you picked up a nail/screw/etc and had a leak in the tire and ran the low tire until it came apart.

I arrived at a site years ago to find a rear tire on my truck low (no TPMS on that truck). Aired it up with a portable compressor and took to shop. Had a steel rod about 1/4" diameter and about 8' long stuck in the tire! Many more miles and that one would have come apart.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Good advice on the tires. I would be looking at how the fishtailing and the blown tire are connected. Look at all the suspension components for proper actuation. U bolts are known to be loose from the factory. Anything loose can cause grief. Keep chipping away you'll figure it out.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
From what little I can see of the tread, it doesn't appear to have unusual wear. Do you have a TPMS? If not, it is very possible (likely?) that you picked up a nail/screw/etc and had a leak in the tire and ran the low tire until it came apart.

I arrived at a site years ago to find a rear tire on my truck low (no TPMS on that truck). Aired it up with a portable compressor and took to shop. Had a steel rod about 1/4" diameter and about 8' long stuck in the tire! Many more miles and that one would have come apart.
I just inspected the tire in daylight. There is NO screw or nail in the tread. The tires are brand new (as the rig is too). This is our first trip.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
It looks like you dodged a bullet by not having any damage to your rv. Be sure you buy g-rated tires and if they are available i would buy the Sailun 235x85x16 tires. This will raise the rv 1/2'' if you have the 235x80x16 tires and you certainly need a little extra height at the axles. If your tire dealer doesn't have the Sailun tires then you could order them from Simple tire and have them delivered to your dealer. I am sure there are other good G-rated tires out there but the Sailun tires are by far the most popular out there at a reasonable price. Good luck.
Good advice. Our consultant at Les Schwab recommends the same thing.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
You got lucky at least that it doesn’t appear you suffered any damage to the rig. If it were me, I’d find a Les Schwab tire center and have them install a set of Sailuns on your rig. I see you have 8 lug wheels, so you may be able to run them at 110 psi, but if not, run them at the highest pressure the wheels allow. If you are able to run 110 psi, you will need metal valve stems. I would also get the 285/85R16 which is a little taller than the 285/80R16 so you will gain a little more height to help with the tail dragging low.
Ditto. Sailun 285/85/16
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #9
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Ditto. Sailun 285/85/16
Update: Sailun tires ordered at Les Schwab, rig goes up at 3pm today to be installed.

Having Les Schwab check all U-Bolts and activation of suspension to ensure everything in working order regarding "fish-tail" issues.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214skier View Post
I just inspected the tire in daylight. There is NO screw or nail in the tread. The tires are brand new (as the rig is too). This is our first trip.
Even if not a nail this time, I would still recommend a TPMS. Even new tires can pick up a nail. And valve stems sometimes leak. Might save you another similar occurrence.

That tire just has the look of a run flat rather than a blowout.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
I second, or third, the TPMS add! My son-in-law had a blowout that shredded and we were laying under his travel trailer at the campground trying to reattach enough wires for him to have AC and lights in the dark. I purchased for my rig before our next trip and the peace of mind is WONDERFUL!!
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I agree on the Sailuns and the TPMS. Just curious...Was the wheel hot at all? Could there have been little to no grease in the bearings? I have heard of that happening before and causing a blowout from the heat. Just wondering out loud.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
first question, are these G rated tires? if so were you running them at 100-110psi? the pic seems to show that they are not G614 GY. Saliun maybe?

as for the fishtail, that is a new one on me?
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #14
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Skier, can the folks at the tire store look at that tire and maybe get a feel for the cause of failure?

Your issue is odd to me, and I think the new tires may very well remedy the situation (I hope), but I had an issue once that this reminds me of. It was not with a trailer but I did buy a new car (back in 90) with Firestone tires on it. Within the first several months I had to replace them all due to the outer tread carcass separating from the inner tire...it was unbelievable. A tire shop pulled one of them and the tread would just literally move around on the tire....and it did cause some funky feeling driving. Doubt that is your issue but might be something to look into. It if was it might ease your mind about the other issues. After losing an OEM tire in short order on another trailer I don't trust any of them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #15
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Update: Sailun tires ordered at Les Schwab, rig goes up at 3pm today to be installed.

Having Les Schwab check all U-Bolts and activation of suspension to ensure everything in working order regarding "fish-tail" issues.

When they check the torque of the nuts on the U-bolts, make sure the rig is down with the weight on the tires and the springs fully supporting the rig. When the springs were attached to the axles by Dexter, they were torqued with the springs curved like when unloaded. Once the trailer weight is on the springs and they are straightened out, the nuts will be loose, and for some reason, the Montana plant does not check the torque on the nuts. Have them torque the nuts to 70 ft lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter torque chart.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	6835  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #16
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
IMO changing tires is not going to solve the problem. Your OE tires have/had plenty of reserves if properly inflated to the placard recommendations.

Whoever installed the hitch should have informed you they couldn't balance the trailer correctly. Make them fix it.

NOTE: If you're convinced the failed tire was the problem, save it and file a NHTSA report. There is enough of it left for them to pinpoint the cause of the failure.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Would sure like to have an update on how things went with the new tires, sway etc.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #18
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
Better...

Cautiously optimistic. We towed home 200 miles over Stevens Pass today. Sure seems less squarely and more solid underway and over bumps. The tires gave us at least 1” or lift overall. Feeling better on this issue.

Negotiating with Keystone to compensate us for the factory tires.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #19
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:

Negotiating with Keystone to compensate us for the factory tires.
IMO Keystone has no responsibility to compensate anything for failed tires, unless, the tires were the wrong size, the recommended cold inflation pressures on the certification label were incorrect or the tires have a recall history.

Reasoning; to just do the act on good faith would open the door for that action on all trailers built by them.

I'll be surprised if Keystone doesn't cancel all portions of their suspension warranty on your trailer for your action to go with larger sized tires, unless the larger size was offered as an option.

Bottom line: If proven to be a tire problem, your displeasure needs to be directed at the tire manufacturer.

With that much tire remaining from the failure, any well trained tire forensic expert can pinpoint the cause. Everything else is just conjecture.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
gave up

Fishtailing, now blown tire must be nerve racking for you and the wife not knowing if your in for more surprises on the next trip. If it were me , not telling you what to do or anything but I would cut Keystone and the dealer ( which will likely blame you ) loose and go to scales and weigh the pin and both axles independently and take this information to a professional truck trailer shop and have them do a comprehensive axle and frame inspection AFTER you put the proven Sailun tires on it. Pay for the fix and forget about it. You`ll get to use your camper for the rest of the season instead of leaving it at the dealer for months and will know you have an unbiased opinion and repair. Just the cost of ownership.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote