Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
AC Question

We are seriously considering a 2018 3121RL. We love the floor plan and features. The biggest thing that is stopping me from making the jump is concern with the AC system. I have been looing at this forum for some time, and have seen what seems to be a common problem with inadequate cooling. I have also read posts of potential fixes (adding return and supply registers, inserting PVC pipe in the return ducts, trimming supply register inserts, etc). My question is, is this a common problem, or is cooling sufficient in most 5ers? Second question is, on those units that have had cooling problems, have the "fixes" actually fixed the problem (are you happy with the AC now)? Has Keystone been of any help (also read a lot of complaints about Keystone warranty)? Also looking at a Solitude, but is about $5k more.

Thanks in advance for any responses. Especially from any 3121RL owners.

Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Well I for one have had to reseal around the registers and add pvc pipe to the return ducts but have to say my ac's work just fine with these mods. I live in the central valley here in California, and summer temps routinely get to 100+.
If you are concerned about the ac, then make it part of the deal to have the dealer prove to you that everything is sealed and works to YOUR satisfaction.
Just my 2 cents
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
Well I for one have had to reseal around the registers and add pvc pipe to the return ducts but have to say my ac's work just fine with these mods. I live in the central valley here in California, and summer temps routinely get to 100+.
If you are concerned about the ac, then make it part of the deal to have the dealer prove to you that everything is sealed and works to YOUR satisfaction.
Just my 2 cents
Thanks fatcatzzz, that's a good idea, will make that part of the agreement if I go with the Montana. Other than the AC, have you had any other problems? Would you buy it again?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
I had quite a few small problems (trim loose, scratches in the J panel, etc.), but my dealer has corrected all. Best thing I can say about buying any new trailer is to CHOOSE YOUR DEALER WISLY. Can't stress this enough. Choosing a good dealer will go along way on limiting the stress on you. That being said, you will need to allow time to fix any items you find. I have made 5 trips back to the dealer and one more is planned. Keystone will not fix anything without being checked out by the dealer. And Yes I would buy another Montana.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I also trimed the air vents and added PVC to it intake and the AC works great. That said I think I will add 2 additional vents to the system. I would buy another Montana in a hart beat.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The folks that took the factory tour at the Annual Rally this fall reported that the new return ducts they were installing were supposedly designed to end the collasping issue. We had a couple of major problems with our 2010 and Keystone stepped right up including allowing a non-RV dealer in Demming to fix a problem and a CW that didn't sell Montana's to fix another. Our new rig has had no problems at all after I put the PVC pipe in the AC and opened some of the ducts. We are another couple who would and did buy another Montana.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
I also added the PVC to the return ducts and it improved the performance somewhat. Really like the quiet cool feature which I believe is more restrictive than the conventional system with the AC return in the open ceiling making it very noisy. I also went on the plant tour this fall and saw the new ducting system and it appears to be a much better system, hopefully someone with a new unit will chime in and give you more insight on it. Although we have had a few issues also, Montana has been very cooperative at resolving any of our concerns and we will definitely buy another Montana when we want to replace ours.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
The a/c in our 3160 has no issue handling the AZ heat. If it has been out or towed in 105+ temps with no a/c running it will take 2-3 hours to get it cold inside but you are displacing a lot of stored heat.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Our cold and distribution has been fine even in hot and humid FL. We had a thermostat/mother board issue with one of the ACs, but that was fixed under warranty. It seems some units come out of the factory with some of these problems.

I recommend you do a complete PDI using one of the checklists you can find on this forum, BEFORE accepting the unit from the dealer, even if it takes more than three hours to ensure everything is working properly. In addition to other tools and a creeper to inspect the underside, have a thermometer to assess cooling and heating temps from the ductwork.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
The a/c in our 3160 has no issue handling the AZ heat. If it has been out or towed in 105+ temps with no a/c running it will take 2-3 hours to get it cold inside but you are displacing a lot of stored heat.
Do you know if your 5er has the new duct work system?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
There have not been any changes made to our ducts - they are as they came from the factory.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
There have not been any changes made to our ducts - they are as they came from the factory.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear with my question. Some earlier replies stated that Keystone was upgrading the ductwork on 5ers produced late summer or fall. I was wondering if your's might have the new ductwork from the factory. When was your's built?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Was built May 17. We have always had good airflow. Do not believe all the rigs had the duct issues. The 3120 replaced the 3160 mid year in 18.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Our 2018 3791RD built in September must have the new duct work. AC was working fine but pulled the grates and inspected and everything looked fine. I did go ahead and put pvc in them for good measure. We are full time and have been in the unit for 5 weeks now and have had zero problems of any kind. BTW this is our third Montana.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote