Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Winmagbar
Established Member

M.O.C. #18499
Flat TV in old tube TV cabinent

The old tube TV had already been removed in the 2003 3670 we just purchased. The Sony Bravia I just purchased fits very snugly into the space, touching the cabinet on both sides. I see a lot of posts and articles on mounting the TV but my thought is just to disconnect it for travel and lay it on the bed or another soft area. Am I thinking about this wrong? What have others done when moving from a tube to a flat screen in the older 5th wheels?

Thanks

Robert

Winmagbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I do not see anything wrong about that if the new TV fits in the hole but what I did on my old 2004 Monty because I wanted a little bigger TV (32 inch) that would not fit in the hole was to install the solid Mor-ryde bracket that Extends and tilts up-down and side to side it was a nice setup but then again it cost as much as the TV and then I traded the 2004 Monty for a new one 1 month later OH WELL somebody is enjoying my upgrade
Old 05-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Winmagbar

I see a lot of posts and articles on mounting the TV but my thought is just to disconnect it for travel and lay it on the bed or another soft area.

Thanks

Robert
Hi

That’s what we do. I removed the bedroom TV when we first got the Montana had a wood worker close the hole in the swing out cabinet and mounted a flat screen in place of it.

This lasted until about 8 months ago when I purchased the largest flat screen that would fit on the door without interfering with anything when it was closed or open. Because I don’t like the type of mount I had to use I don’t trust the TV to stay on the mount while I am towing so we just take it off and put it on the bed face down. So far no problem we travel about 200 miles a month. We even use it in the bedroom when we are in the house.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I took the old 27" TV out and replaced it with a 32" LED TV, the widest I could fit in the space available. I built in a cabinet behind the TV, but would have been easier to just mount a flat piece of plywood behind the opening to install the TV mount on.

Before

After

The mount

I made the shelf from a 1"x3" oak board for support. Not sure it was really needed. Later I added some velcro straps to secure the TV while traveling since it is on an articulating mount.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
When we bought our first trailer (used) I had them remove the big,old fat,heavy TV. I bought a pull-out swivel mount that I found online and screwed it to the bottom of the cabinet. The swivel allowed space for a larger flat screen TV than would have fit in straight,then the TV could slide back in and the original strap would secure it.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I just used a mount inside the existing space which tilts/pulls out/and turns. Mounted a 40"Vizeo there and it stays on the mount because it is bolted on. Did the same with the bedroom with another 40" Vizeo.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I like BBTX's solution. It's something similar to what I had planned for an earlier FW we owned. I was going to make a hinged cabinet door frame to which I was going to mount the TV, making a usable cabinet behind that would otherwise go unused. I have some woodworking skills but some folks might not be able pull it off.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote