Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same story here Mark.I know that at 110 PSI at the valve stem is 105 at the monitor so we go with that.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #22
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
My 507 is accurate.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
look like the TST system is not a good buy since they appear to be not reliable.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

look like the TST system is not a good buy since they appear to be not reliable.
Well, before one categorically denounces them as unreliable, one must define the terms of reliability.
As a pressure monitor, mine are not "reliable".
As a pressure "change" monitor or more accurately, a pressure "drop" monitor, they are very reliable!
I bought mine to warn me of dropping tire pressures, to head off a blow-out while driving. To that end, the system gives me great peace of mind. I know it is there, and working.
To give me an accurate tire pressure, of +/- 1 psi? Nope....They won't do it. They might be consistent, but mine are consistently reading low.

OK, no big deal in my mind. As long as it will alert me if the pressure drops, I'm OK with a low reading. I already know what the true pressures are, because before I started rolling, I checked every tire with a pressure gauge that I know to accurate. I will accept all my trailer tires reading 105 lbs. when I know for a fact they are 110 lbs.

If one chooses another system, one might very well be trading one problem for another.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #25
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Well, before one categorically denounces them as unreliable, one must define the terms of reliability.
As a pressure monitor, mine are not "reliable".
As a pressure "change" monitor or more accurately, a pressure "drop" monitor, they are very reliable!
I bought mine to warn me of dropping tire pressures, to head off a blow-out while driving. To that end, the system gives me great peace of mind. I know it is there, and working.
To give me an accurate tire pressure, of +/- 1 psi? Nope....They won't do it. They might be consistent, but mine are consistently reading low.

OK, no big deal in my mind. As long as it will alert me if the pressure drops, I'm OK with a low reading. I already know what the true pressures are, because before I started rolling, I checked every tire with a pressure gauge that I know to accurate. I will accept all my trailer tires reading 105 lbs. when I know for a fact they are 110 lbs.

If one chooses another system, one might very well be trading one problem for another.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
CWSWine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18254
How do you know if that data is current? I drove 40 miles home after dropping my 5er off at the dealer and it was still displaying the last settings. Looks like TST will display the last settings for at least 45 minutes so going down the road you don't know if you are looking at current data or data from 45 minutes ago. There should be a lost signal indicator show the data is current within a couple of minutes.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:27 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My pressure pro system that we used for 7 years was right on. I have no problem with the TST as I am aware of how it reads and adjust accordingly.If one reads the manual on the TST system it states that the higher the PSI setting the more error induced well OK but we have reports here that the reading is right on or within 1 or 2 PSI...does not make sense if those reading reports are at 110PSI..
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #28
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CWSWine

How do you know if that data is current? I drove 40 miles home after dropping my 5er off at the dealer and it was still displaying the last settings. Looks like TST will display the last settings for at least 45 minutes so going down the road you don't know if you are looking at current data or data from 45 minutes ago. There should be a lost signal indicator show the data is current within a couple of minutes.
It really is pretty simple to determine if the TST system is reading current tire conditions after you get underway. I do not start on a trip until all 4 trailer tires are recording, within a fairly short distance both the pressure and temperature will increase particularly on a cooler morning as these will both change as the tire warms up.

To those who do not feel the TST is accurate I find mine to be more than satisfactory...
I pressure up my G614's to 110 lbs cold, since I do not have flow through sensors they have to be removed to do this. Once back on they have always read withing a couple of pounds of the reading on the tire gauge, and I have used more than one gauge to confirm this.

There is a +/- error on all gauges as there is admittedly on the TST system but I bought the unit to alert me to a drop in pressure based on my low pressure settings and a increase in temperature that would seem to be abnormal.
The TST system does both of these very well.

If you feel the system is not performing as you think it should, I would suggest you contact TST, they are very accommodating and helpful in my experience. OR buy something else and see if what is most important to you is being delivered by a different brand.

The "only" dislike I have is that they seem to go through batteries quicker than is represented by TST otherwise I am completely happy.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have no problem with the TST as we adjust to the readings.We did expect it to be more accurate. The fact that some have no problem at all with accurate readings and others do seems to indicate a problem with the units.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #30
CWSWine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18254
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CWSWine

It really is pretty simple to determine if the TST system is reading current tire conditions after you get underway. I do not start on a trip until all 4 trailer tires are recording, within a fairly short distance both the pressure and temperature will increase particularly on a cooler morning as these will both change as the tire warms up.
After everything get the first reading from all the sensors and you are down the road 45 minutes how do you know if the data is current or 45 minutes old? Mine will look like it checking all tires but 40 miles away at home and there no way it still has a signal.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #31
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135

[/quote]

After everything get the first reading from all the sensors and you are down the road 45 minutes how do you know if the data is current or 45 minutes old? Mine will look like it checking all tires but 40 miles away at home and there no way it still has a signal.
[/quote]

I had an older version that had this issue also. I found out about it when I drove somewhere without the trailer with the TST still on and it still had readings a half hour later. I called them about it at the time and they acknowledged the problem.

I've since replaced the unit with the newer 507 flow through sensors and receiver. When it loses the signal for a given wheel, the unit generates an alarm every time the wheel that lost the reading comes up for display. It also displays a blank screen for that window.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #32
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drknapp

[/quote]

If you have traveled down the highway for 45 min and the readings are the same as they were when you left, then it is not current information and something is amiss, the pressure and temp will increase to some degree during that time, particularly the temp.
Stopping for a break in a rest area the pressure and temp drop some as the tires cool down and increase again when underway once again. The change is more noticeable in the temp than the pressure.

I had an older version that had this issue also. I found out about it when I drove somewhere without the trailer with the TST still on and it still had readings a half hour later. I called them about it at the time and they acknowledged the problem.

I've since replaced the unit with the newer 507 flow through sensors and receiver. When it loses the signal for a given wheel, the unit generates an alarm every time the wheel that lost the reading comes up for display. It also displays a blank screen for that window.

[/quote]

I have a 507 repeater and non flow through sensors, prior to the receiver communicating with the sensors the individual display for each wheel is blank, some take a bit longer than others to get the signal, if they are below the low pressure setting mine will beep when that one comes up for display but does display the pressure, only if it looses signal does it beep and show nothing, at least that is how mine works. Never really noticed if it holds the readings for a period when not hooked up to the 5th, as I generally unplug mine anyway so would not be a concern to me.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #33
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
I guess we are lucky. Our TST507 is spot on with our gauge.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #34
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Quick question. I looked on line at the TST 507 and 510, and when they showed the comparison, I am going to go with the 507 flow thru. My question is this. Does anyone know if the new RAM 3500 dually trucks come with any tire pressure sensors already displayed from the factory? My wife's new Buick Encore displays each tires pressure. So before I pay an additional $300 for the 6 extra sensors for the dually truck, I was wondering if someone could clue me in on the RAM truck? I am getting my new 2016 Ram truck in about 10 days. My Monty is coming at the end of July. Thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #35
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vipermanden

Quick question. I looked on line at the TST 507 and 510, and when they showed the comparison, I am going to go with the 507 flow thru. My question is this. Does anyone know if the new RAM 3500 dually trucks come with any tire pressure sensors already displayed from the factory? My wife's new Buick Encore displays each tires pressure. So before I pay an additional $300 for the 6 extra sensors for the dually truck, I was wondering if someone could clue me in on the RAM truck? I am getting my new 2016 Ram truck in about 10 days. My Monty is coming at the end of July. Thanks
my 3500 did NOT come with a TPMS. But then I bought it in 2013 so I have no ideas what changes have occurred since then.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just set up our TST 507 on the truck and Montana. The readings as I stated in another post were 3PSI difference at the Monitor.110 at the valve stem on the Montana reads 107 at the monitor.65 at the truck valve stem reads 61 at the Monitor. It has been this way since day one .We will be at a large rally this summer and TST will be there. We will use documentation posted here to prove we have a defective system.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #37
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
A RAM person just let me know that the 2016 Ram 3500 Dually does have it's own TPMS. :-)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #38
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vipermanden

A RAM person just let me know that the 2016 Ram 3500 Dually does have it's own TPMS. :-)
Be sure! I was told the same thing by my salesman. Nope... he was wrong. The 2500 had a TPMS. But not the 3500. They might have changed that since '13 though. Same thing about the seat belt warning buzzer. It only is on the driver's side NOT the passenger side I guess Ram doesn't feel the passenger is worthy of reminding?
Old 06-10-2016, 01:19 AM   #39
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
You might want to check your rims also. I just put the 507 flow thru on a 2012 Ford dually last night. They just fit in the hole on the rims that left no room to put caps on or the air chuck on to air them up. So even though they are flow thru I will have to remove them to add air.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote