Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
OK Administrators, NOW is the time!

The MOC forum could be great and for the most part it just about meets that level. However ... I for one have just about had enough of the discussions which center around everything but our Montanas, RVing and subjects very closely aligned to those two. I'd like to see the Administrators immediately delete any subject that strays off very narrow guidelines. There's far too much posted on the forum about things totally non-related as to why we're on the site in the first place. Dump them before they get going! Guns, religion, politics, racial inequality, unemployment, indigestion and so on and so forth all have other sites and forums where those discussions are expected and welcomed but here on the MOC forum, they're not welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Let's get back to the purpose of the forum as described in the MOC mission statement which is "To Provide Montana RV enthusiasts a calm and inviting atmosphere to exchange valuable information, and enhance their general RV-ing experience."

Let's make this the last post which doesn't reflect the mission statement!

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
So many things to say here. Guess I will be quite for a few minutes.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Gee, I thought "Sitting around the camp fire" was a place for chit chat and any thing not related to RV's & RV'ing. Maybe Moutard2, you should just avoid this area. Announcements from our members should be open to death and illness notices as we are interested in showing support to our MOC family members in a time of need or sorrow. Not wanting to start an argument but JMHO.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For me and many others MOC is a family of people we have met thru RVing and care about. Since we may only get together once or twice a year and the rest of the time are separated by many miles, deaths, illnesses and other things besides the size of lug nuts when you change to IS also have importance. If the forum wasn't intended to cover the issues that seem to upset you they wouldn't have included "sitting around the campfire" as a thread topic. On the other hand it is easy to not open threads posted under "Sitting around the campfire" and thus not be offended.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Neil.M

Gee, I thought "Sitting around the camp fire" was a place for chit chat and any thing not related to RV's & RV'ing. Maybe Moutard2, you should just avoid this area. Announcements from our members should be open to death and illness notices as we are interested in showing support to our MOC family members in a time of need or sorrow. Not wanting to start an argument but JMHO.
Perhaps if the non-RVing topics were restricted to "Sitting around the Campfire", it wouldn't seem as if they're everywhere which at the moment they are. And you're right, they'd be easy to avoid.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Hum...... I'm with Bigmurf on this one.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
I haven't been on this forum long, however I am struck by the fact that many of the people who frequent this board are friends who have formed their bond here. They share their life and experiences from travel to repairs to heartburn and family issues - I think it's great!

I see posts that don't interest me, but I just move on. Why the big deal to just scan and if its not for you, move to the next one?

Why be critical of a forum that offers such useful information? Any question I have asked has been met with a quick and spot on reply! See it for what it is and enjoy or move to another forum more suited to your tastes, that are many out there!

JMO and I hope your day is bright!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I have seen the administrators do a good job of intervening when things seem to get bad. Thanks to them for guiding with consideration. I believe that this forum is one of the best things about having a Montana. Have many good friends here. Have learned to trust the administrators. No, not perfect, but miles ahead of most. Thanks for the good work, you certainly earn you're pay!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
So first we have a thread that is lamenting censorship, and now we have a thread that is promoting censorship. Guess it just provides evidence and justification that this is a great "melting pot" that we live in that allows us to express our opinions freely! The only thing I disagree with is the opening statement that "The MOC forum could be great", I believe that the MOC forum is already great, has been that way for the years that I have been proud to consider myself a "member", which is the reason that the MOC is the only RV and life-related forum that I monitor on a daily basis. So to put it in simple terms, why would someone want to change something that is not broke, simply because their definition of "valuable information" (from the mission statement) differs from someone else's. Again, I am sorry for the soapbox rambling, but unlike bigmurf and Trailer Trash 2, I could not bring myself to be quiet for a few minutes.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree. I enjoy the many facets of the MOC. I learn many things here and not all of it is strictly about Montanas only. I for one enjoy the MOC just the way it is.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

I haven't been on this forum long, however I am struck by the fact that many of the people who frequent this board are friends who have formed their bond here. They share their life and experiences from travel to repairs to heartburn and family issues - I think it's great!

I see posts that don't interest me, but I just move on. Why the big deal to just scan and if its not for you, move to the next one?

Why be critical of a forum that offers such useful information? Any question I have asked has been met with a quick and spot on reply! See it for what it is and enjoy or move to another forum more suited to your tastes, that are many out there!

JMO and I hope your day is bright!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I second Bingo's comment. I enjoy reading about the folks I met, and the ones I haven't met, I look forward to meeting them.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
X-2 Bingo comments, well said.

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Sorry moutard2, but I agree with the others posted before me. I have learned how to make some fantastic chocolate chip cookies and wonderful soups here. I have learned some tips on keeping the Montana waxed, lug nut torque and some weight issues. I have looked at some really neat vacation pictures of places I have been or want to go.
There are topics I don't care about so I merely just don't look at them which is what I suggest you should do, and that's mho!
I feel honored to call my MOC friends "family" and want to keep it that way. And yes, it is already great.
And moutard2, isn't your post a discussion about anything but Montanas, that's what makes this forum a great place to visit and share your feelings and not get deleted because someone else doesn't want to read your discussion.
Again, mho!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with Bingo and the others. This is the only forum that I monitor on a daily basis and have gleaned a wealth of information from it on a wide range of subjects. If there is a thread that doesn't interest me, I simply don't participate in it. The administration of this forum suits me just fine and I see no reason to change it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

So first we have a thread that is lamenting censorship, and now we have a thread that is promoting censorship. Guess it just provides evidence and justification that this is a great "melting pot" that we live in that allows us to express our opinions freely! The only thing I disagree with is the opening statement that "The MOC forum could be great", I believe that the MOC forum is already great, has been that way for the years that I have been proud to consider myself a "member", which is the reason that the MOC is the only RV and life-related forum that I monitor on a daily basis. So to put it in simple terms, why would someone want to change something that is not broke, simply because their definition of "valuable information" (from the mission statement) differs from someone else's. Again, I am sorry for the soapbox rambling, but unlike bigmurf and Trailer Trash 2, I could not bring myself to be quiet for a few minutes.
Bingo
I agree! Just proves you can't please all of the people all of the time. Many of the things mentioned - religion, politics, etc., aren't allowed and the moderators are normally quick to remove them.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I like the forum as it is. The moderators do a good job in filtering.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
When I read the Original Post it appears the intent may have been to prompt thought and consideration of others differing opinions, which is a good thing. In addition to "all things Montana" this forum is a good place to read about others life experiences and make and enjoy life long friendships.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
It is like anything on the Internet. You have to filter through the information that is not of interest to you in order to get to the information that peaks your interest. Emails, Facebook, Google +, etc. all have various forms of information and you must filter them out. Filters are everywhere. Junk mail is a perfect example. The administrators do a great job of trying to filter our various topics. Some slip through and take more than a few days to be correctly categorized, but for the most part, it is done. If some slip through or do not pass your expected filtering, then we must do our own filtering. The topic subjects allow me to filter what I want to see and what I do not. It only takes a second to hit the "back" button if the subject is not what I expected. We live is a filtering world. Some is done for us and some requires us to take a little action. Not everything in life is going to be as perfect as you expect it to be.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I like the social, information and update posts. Forum does not need to change. If a subject is not of your interest don't read it. Problem solved.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As with any food or reading material a person has to digest what has been taken in, then comment wheather they enjoyed it or not.
The topic in my views was a person rambeling on about things that are part of the agreement that he or she has agreed to before becoming a member of the MOC.
Sometime a topic can be looked at in other ways ( such as writing a topic without proper punctuation )but not in this case, it can be read many ways. maybe Moutard2 had a bad day and was venting, or a post he liked was locked.
I dont give to much input to comments as the one starting this post because they always end the same. a bunch of he said she said stuff.
If I dont like what I have read I can always take it to the moderator and they can do what they want with it,or not comment on it at all.
You can call it what you want, " censorship ???? " in no way. It's called RULES and REGULATIONS.