Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Very slow flow

I have a question? I spent a few days now, working to find our why the kitchen sink facet flow is less than the bathroom. I shut the water off and disconnected lines ran a piece of bailing wire up into the facet but nothing came out seemed clean. I have the 3485SA, my question is has anyone taken the facet out and if so is there a way to take it apart and clean it out, or would it be better to buy a new one? If the later where would be the best place to look, camping world, tweetys.com or other sites? Thanks.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
You have one if not two flow restrictors in the line. I took the two out in my line under the sink and pressure is now incredible. If I recall right, there was one in the line where the sprayer handle screws onto the line. The other was in the line below the sink.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I am glad somebody posted they have the same problem as me I always wondered why mine was low pressure too, my wife hates that! thats why I like this forum... Thanks The Weekenders!..Taking the resrictor out of the bottom of the faucet head where it connectes to the hose REALLY helps!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I am glad somebody posted they have the same problem as me I always wondered why mine was low pressure too, my wife hates that! thats why I like this forum... Thanks The Weekenders!..Taking the resrictor out of the bottom of the faucet head where it connectes to the hose REALLY helps!
Jimmy,

I took out two in my line a couple of years ago and couldn't believe the difference it made. Before that, the kitchen sink pressure was down to a trickle. Glad I could help!

Rick Jensen
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
There is a "thingy" that gets off kilter and removing it like Jimmy says solves the problem.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
MY wife said THANX too Rick!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Thanks all, I saw the one at the end of the spray faucet it seemed to have plastic extruded into a hole coming out under thread, I wasn't sure I should cut that. I guess it will not leak, since so many have taken it out right. If I get back a reply about this I will take my out. thanks again.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah I was worried it would leak after I popped it out but nope all's good, why did they put it in there in the first place????? it looks like it might be important
Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
bigskyjimmy Thanks that want the DW wanted to hear. I will operate on it tomorrow. Should be a good flow, its been this way for almost a year now.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Government water saving regulations cause them to be installed in the first place. Even when I had the stick house I took them out before I ever installed the faucet the first time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep that makes sense Dick, my friend just bought a SOB and was conplaining too and I'll let him know also
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
bigskyjimmy This morning I took the faucet out and drilled out the restrictor and still water is slow. The only one left is the cold water side going into the bottom of hot water tank. That line comes in from underneath to the tank not up to the sink. The line have connectors but don't seem to have check valves in them. So what would be your guess. I took off the screen at the water end of the faucet and only thing in there is a black rubber shut of, so the water can be deverted to the spray out little holes. I'm at a loss. Where else is there a check?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Did you check underneath the sink? My line you could screw apart there and there was another restrictor there.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Weekenders I had it apart yesterday or day before,but at that time I just ran a piece of bailing wire up toward the faucet to see if there was any minerals blocking the line and there wasn't it came out clean. So as soon as I get done writing this I will shut down the water and check both cold and hot water lines for them. Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Update on slow flow. I shut off water and pulled all lines loose. I found mineral build up around the small restricktor in the metal line running from the middle of the spray faucett. I drilled out the restrcktor and ran a piece of bailing wire the full length of the line and a little more mineral came out, Hooked all lines back up and viola got about three times the flow, thanks all I now am a hero with the DW. it's been three days of hunting for the second check valve. I think I'm working harder on the Monty while I wait for the next job to start in April. Been sanding all the small white screws in the slides outside and re touching them with white paint, and some of the black ones around the windows. The ladder in back that goes up on the roof have rusted. Next around the scare lights. I've been doing a little body work on the lower metal panels, from small dents put in them over the last five years. Its been a long while since I've had time to work on it. We work 40 to 45 hrs a day five days a week, so days off we go places to see the sites. This has been good to get the well needed maintenance done. Again all the advice was just what I needed thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Glad it worked out for you Randye!! My DW was pretty happy too after getting our kitchen faucet going!! Happy RVing!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
TN road dog
Established Member

M.O.C. #13347
I too had this problem and would like to share what I did to correct it.
In my 3400RL, our water flow was so bad, (when we purchased it), I removed the restrictor, it was better but still very poor. After examining the water piping behind the central connections I saw the water had to pass thru 3 valves and 12 90degree elbows before going out to the kitchen sink. I removed all the plumbing, made a cold/fresh water manifold. From the manifold cold water now goes directly to the cold water distribution lines. Water to the water heater only passes thru the bypass valve then onto the heater allowing use of the bypass feature. Over all, the 12 elbows were reduced to about 4. The three valves are still there but in line only to what is needed to retain all intended functions and features of the system.
This also made a difference in our shower as well as when operating from the 12 volt pump.
TN road dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Sounds like everyone above is correct but, unrestricted flow also means greater volume and a full gray tank faster. Just sayin'

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
TN road dog
Established Member

M.O.C. #13347
Walt,
Your right! You make a good point, and water conservation is why the restrictors are there.
Emptying the tanks more often is the price I'll have to pay.
However, the real problem with mine was the plumbing nightmare down below. Later, I had to replace the kitchen facuet and left the restrictor in and the flow is ok with the redesigned plumbing. the shower is so much better (and also still has restrictor in it).
TN road dog is offline   Reply With Quote