Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Level Up

Over the last 2 weeks have set up the Monty 2 times in different locations and both times the site was near level. Both times the Level UP would attempt to level and then display "success" but both times wasn't even close to level. Each time, after I manually leveled and recalibrated it would them level just fine. Any ideas? BTW I will be at the rally and plan to discuss this with Lippert rep.

Today (9/10/12) was moving day. At new site in Chattanooga the Level Up worked just fine!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sounds like the Brain for the system is suffering from CRS. Seriously, I don't know what type of memory system they use, I do know that if you replace the keypad you have to recal the system. The original keypad they put on our Monty you had to play with to get it to turn on. So after the Rally last year we stopped by the Service Center and they changed the keypad and we were on our way. At our next stop, hit the Auto Level and it went through it's cycle and talk about lop sided. Well did a manual level, recaled the system and all was good. The point I guess is make sure you're not losing power to the system anytime during travel.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
On our Montana I was having a problem not leveling correctly front to back, front was to low so I loosened up the leveling sensor and put a shim under the front of it, tightened screws and all go to go now. If you are having a side to side level problem, maybe you meed to put a shim there also. Just my 2cents worth. Happy Campin...........Ron
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
ours is good thus far.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Ours is always low on the driver side so after auto level beeps success I have had to do some 3-5 second adjustment (hold button) to get it truly level. Otherwise our bedroom door was shut on its own. Front to back was perfect. I was told I need to reset the zero point calibration. Another thing to add to the to do list. The only problem with manually adjusting is I have had problems then doing the auto retract because it doesn't know where the auto level start point was anymore. I would be curious to hear what the Lippert rep says. I also want to know what 'Function disabled. Press Enter to acknowledge' means. I know it is an error code but in relation to what?!

Best of luck! I still LOVE the system! We are still level way faster than I was when we had to remember which way needed to be adjusted manually!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Hopefully we can get answers to these and other questions from Lippert at the Rally and then post them for those who can't attend.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Troubling when I read about the level up system. Seems like a lot of problems with them. I know, some aren't having any at all. But there is way to many that are. Would be nice to see if there was a common problem and it was corrected. It appears that the auto leveling is the biggest problem. To me that would be the brain of the unit not talking the right language. I am anticipating on putting one or the other system on my unit. Either the Level Up or the Big Foot.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I don't think there are any problems with those of us that had the system added on. Are the problems with those who ordered it as a factory option? If so, than perhaps that is where the problem lies.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Mine came from the factory and this is the first problem.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Our system came from the factory installed. We have had no problems with system. Well ---- Other than USER ERROR! And I'm not gonna blame Keystone for that! Granted Lippert could do a slightly better job of making the instructions "idiot" proof but other than that is is just a matter of using the system enough to make it truly an "automatic" system. But no matter how "idiot" proof the instructions are made there will always be someone who can't figure it out! Practice, practice, practice!

We love the new system. It has added some RVing years to this old body! Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana3800RE

On our Montana I was having a problem not leveling correctly front to back, front was to low so I loosened up the leveling sensor and put a shim under the front of it, tightened screws and all go to go now. If you are having a side to side level problem, maybe you meed to put a shim there also. Just my 2cents worth. Happy Campin...........Ron
(CORRECTION) to my original post. someone on here or another forum posted how to zero out the Levelup by turning the levelup off, pushing the up arrow quickly 10 times, then pushing the down arrow quickly 10 times then follow directions on key pad after that, well after getting home today and puting our Montana back in the shop on a level floor and the trailer being level front to back and side to side, then tried the Zero out procedure, it worked well, so there is no need to shim the leveling sensor as I origanilly posted...Ron
Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:

Quote:

(CORRECTION) to my original post. someone on here or another forum posted how to zero out the Levelup by turning the levelup off, pushing the up arrow quickly 10 times, then pushing the down arrow quickly 10 times then follow directions on key pad after that, well after getting home today and puting our Montana back in the shop on a level floor and the trailer being level front to back and side to side, then tried the Zero out procedure, it worked well, so there is no need to shim the leveling sensor as I origanilly posted...Ron
Be assured that I had no intention of shimming my Level Up. I have had to do the "zero out" procedure you described above to get it to auto level correctly the last 2 times. I described it as recalibrating in the original post.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Our system came from the factory installed. We have had no problems with system. Well ---- Other than USER ERROR! And I'm not gonna blame Keystone for that! Granted Lippert could do a slightly better job of making the instructions "idiot" proof but other than that is is just a matter of using the system enough to make it truly an "automatic" system. But no matter how "idiot" proof the instructions are made there will always be someone who can't figure it out! Practice, practice, practice!

We love the new system. It has added some RVing years to this old body! Dennis and Mary Kay
I've been using it since Nov last year with no problems. I believe I have had enough practice and I'm not doing anything different now. I don't feel like an idiot.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and Sharon,
I hope you don't think I was calling anyone (besides myself) an idiot. I was simply trying to say that the instructions to use the LevelUp system are less than easily understood. It's like they left out a step or two. So if I offended anyone with my remarks I apologize. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Quote:

Quote:

Be assured that I had no intention of shimming my Level Up. I have had to do the "zero out" procedure you described above to get it to auto level correctly the last 2 times. I described it as recalibrating in the original post.
Sorry but i was not asking anyone to shim up there level up, I just offered what worked for me as a suggestion possibly for others and this idea was offered before reading other posts. We have machinery that has auto leveling that you have to adjust the sensors from time to time........
Old 09-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks DQDick for offering to bring back the answers from Lippert to the rest of us who aren't lucky enough to attend the rally this year! That would be great! Although I love the system, and as a former 'Systems Engineer' that is saying a lot...however it is NOT intuitive in my humble opinion. For example, when you put arrows (up and down) on a leveling system the novice user is going to think to push them to raise and lower the trailer. NOT! It is just to scroll through the menu! BAD idea! BTW...when you put 'left' and 'right' on a keypad the average user is going to wonder from which orientation! So you end up 'dinking' to find out are they meaning driver side or passenger side. Once a user starts 'dinking' then trouble begins because we get ourselves into situations like lowering when we meant to raise!

Lippert needs to make their system more 'user friendly' (my polite term for IDIOT proof)! If you want the driver side to raise push the driver side button and push the up arrow because you want the driver side to go UP! They also need to make it so all of their error codes have a related situation to them so when it says Function Disabled you know why it may have been disabled and what to do about it.

I am going to have to wait to get to a fairly level location to reset our zero point. Driveway is a little too sloped. Best of luck! Once you get the hang of it AWESOME!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Carol, you don't need a level area to do a re-cal on the system. If you can get it level manually sitting in your driveway, do it. Then turn the system off and do the re-cal. You just have to get the rig level so the system knows where level is and stored into it's memory.