Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Finally got the accurate measurement - 3750FL

After some astounding posts about the height of the rig, I had been looking forward (or dreading?) to the opportunity to actually get an accurate measurement. Using the forum documented method of a straight 2x4 in conjunction with a 48" carpenters level, the results are in. 13'8 1/4" from the mid-ship air conditioner (highest point) to the ground. Definitely good information to know and still a bit daunting knowing what is following us!! While we were at the mini-storage, went ahead and ran the on-board Onan to make sure the batteries are fully charged for next weekend. We had also purchased a cabinet-type shoe rack that holds 12 pairs of shoes and I put it together and put it in it's new resting place in the bottom of the wardrobe. We may have to put another one in the other side, since while we were at Lowes, I was put aback by the DW who stated that 12 pairs of shoe storage was not enough?? I politely inquired how many pairs of shoes are typically needed for a weeks camping trip, and was told in Imelda Marcos fashion, "at least a dozen, probably closer to twenty". I never even bothered to ask if that was just for her or for everyone, probably better off not knowing that answer!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Bingo,

Did you hook it up to the truck? Scary to think it may even be taller!

LOL on Cathy Marcos
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
So that means you are over the legal height limit in most states.
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
http://www.kellypipe.com/pdfs/limitations.pdf
Old 03-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's about what we are and we've been in a lot of parks where the rigs next to us were the same hight at least.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
I'm going to get out my tape measure.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Bingo that means now you have to have Cathy out ahead of you in the car with that big pole attached to make sure you have clearance, you know like they do with over heigth loads.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The measurement was hooked up to the truck, even though on our rig it does not make much difference since the AC is pretty much over the axles. It was at least comforting to know that the satellite dish was lower than the air conditioner. Good idea on Cathy leading the way with pole. I am not the least troubled about being over the heights a couple of inches since I have never seen the RV police out there actually measuring. We have been to Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina and a couple other places and still have the air conditioner cover intact! Oh, and I did get clarification on the shoe deal, the twenty pairs are hers and hers alone. Some long-winded story about different colors needed to coordinate with different outfits, that she doesn't know what she will need? I am smart enough that I answered, "That's interesting dear, and I fully understand."
Bingo
Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Yes this shoe thing is kind of strange, I was in the BR doing some work in the closet and there were 3 bags in the way. I picked the first two up and they were full of shoes, a lot of shoes. So i moved them aside and grabbed the next bag, what more shoes. So I checked all these shoes out and none of them were mine. I ask the DW about the shoes and guess what, I got the some answer as Bingo. My answer was a little different, I said I don't get it, then I was told to just leave them alone.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
In our family shoes and kitchen ware is treated the same. DW cleans out the closet and kitchen cabinets to make room for the new stuff she buys. Where does the old stuff end up? In the RV. At least until I go on a cleaning rampage.
I am going to measure mine within the next week. My truck has 20 inch wheels so the Monty rides a little front high. Don't know if that will make a difference.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Bingo,
In addition to the added height, will you have to re-weigh for the added shoes,... Errr... Cargo?
I don't say much to DW as I'm kinda the same way with tools.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I just had a funny image in my head of a Cathy version of the Long, Long Trailer with shoes instead of rocks..............

Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I told her about the thread and she insisted that I provide some additional information. There is no weight issue because the shoes are all flip-flops and sandals. Now, here is where my sense of fashion totally fails me, because I thought sandals and flip-flops went with everything? Evidently not, but it does strike me as odd, that I can get by with one pair of sandals and one pair of sneakers. Old school, I guess, I wear the sneakers until they wear out, then I buy a new pair. Average life expectancy well exceeds Chinese made RV tires.
Bingo
Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I told her about the thread and she insisted that I provide some additional information. There is no weight issue because the shoes are all flip-flops and sandals. Now, here is where my sense of fashion totally fails me, because I thought sandals and flip-flops went with everything? Evidently not, but it does strike me as odd, that I can get by with one pair of sandals and one pair of sneakers. Old school, I guess, I wear the sneakers until they wear out, then I buy a new pair. Average life expectancy well exceeds Chinese made RV tires.
Bingo

Yeah Bingo but they’re probably made in China too!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
There are two subjects never discussed in my house. Shoes and purses. Bingo if your wife's supply is questionable just go out and inventory your tools again. That will get your mind off of it.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #16
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

After some astounding posts about the height of the rig, I had been looking forward (or dreading?) to the opportunity to actually get an accurate measurement. Using the forum documented method of a straight 2x4 in conjunction with a 48" carpenters level, the results are in. 13'8 1/4" from the mid-ship air conditioner (highest point) to the ground. Definitely good information to know and still a bit daunting knowing what is following us!! While we were at the mini-storage, went ahead and ran the on-board Onan to make sure the batteries are fully charged for next weekend. We had also purchased a cabinet-type shoe rack that holds 12 pairs of shoes and I put it together and put it in it's new resting place in the bottom of the wardrobe. We may have to put another one in the other side, since while we were at Lowes, I was put aback by the DW who stated that 12 pairs of shoe storage was not enough?? I politely inquired how many pairs of shoes are typically needed for a weeks camping trip, and was told in Imelda Marcos fashion, "at least a dozen, probably closer to twenty". I never even bothered to ask if that was just for her or for everyone, probably better off not knowing that answer!
Bingo
All I can say Bingo, is don't come to my part of Indiana and try to go north on US-31 from US-50 as there is a low railroad bridge that semis just fit under. The height sign is just before it with no place to turn around. Good idea to know how tall you are.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Wow, that is scary. I have the same model and I have seen many 13' 6" overpasses. Looks like I need to measure mine. I know we have different tires, but that's a small difference.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
WOW! I was 13' 6" with the old sat dome, I thought i was the highest, with my new folding auto dish, it is lower now. Bingo, I think you get the honor of highest trailer! and maybe the most shoes...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #19
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Bingo, I said in another thread that my wife has close to 50 pairs of shoes in the Monty. I wasn't kidding! And now the purses are adding up--because don't you know the purse HAS to match the shoes.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by junglejim

Bingo, I said in another thread that my wife has close to 50 pairs of shoes in the Monty. I wasn't kidding! And now the purses are adding up--because don't you know the purse HAS to match the shoes.
Holy Moly Jim - how many pairs in the stick house??!! My wife does the purse and bag thing. I can never figure out why she needs a different bag - I can't see beyond it holds something, don't care what it LOOKS like...