Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
Marathon Tire recall action

Since there has been so much dissatisfaction with the Marathon tires, I'd suggest that those who have valid complaints do something about it. If you go to safercar.gov, you can file a complaint. You can also find information or file a complaint at nhtsa.gov

If we get enough people submitting complaints maybe someone will listen. I cannot complain as my tires have yet to fail. But those of you out there in MOC land who have negative experiences can sure try to make your voice heard.

I emailed my dealer, Bretz RV in Missoula, MT, and of course they had never heard of any complaints about the Marathon tires. Which did not come as a surprise to me. My next letter will be to Keystone.

denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Dennis,
You may want to search all the tire issues on this forum and what actions have been taken by our dedicated members. Then if you feel like picking this scab, go for it.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here is a new post from another forum today: Listening to Clark Howard this morning and he mentioned a recall resource website safercar.gov. It lists safety recalls for vehicles including 5ers, and also has a wealth of info on TSB for tow vehicles.

Ironically I noticed only 1 complaint for Mission tires. May not make a difference, but if you want to vent a little louder about your dissatisfaction with your tires - try here File tire complaint

Here was the "score" as I searched -
Mission ST - 1 compaint
Michelin XPS Rib - 1 complaint
Goodyear G614 - not found
Goodyear Marathon - 80 complaints

You are correct that we should be reporting incidents and aren't, but of the few who have reported do you notice a trend?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
A friend of mine with an Airstream told me yesterday that the Marathons were a big subject on their forum also.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I would think some law firm would jump on this!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by southern thunder

A friend of mine with an Airstream told me yesterday that the Marathons were a big subject on their forum also.
Airstream is not a cheap unit, they must be using the same tire as Montana.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I did not know about that .gov site. I had one bad Mission, then replaced them quick, but I guess I should have posted a complaint. Mission finally got theirs and eventually went out of business so their tires are available any more.

But Goodyear Marathons? They did great on a prior and much lighter trailer, but I now live with caution with these on my rig since I can't afford to buy another set of tires just now. So far, so good.

I think with 80 complaints, these tires on a trailer (where passengers don't typically ride) and blaming the owners negligence whether that's the case or not is falling on deaf ears. I have since read that many states allow passengers in a trailer (even in California, wow, I was shocked to find that out!). If these failures are now subject to injury or worse, who knows how long it will take to get action. In the meantime, all passengers stay in the TV when I'm towing.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
I was talking to a Newmar Dealer a few weeks ago and he told me that they had some blowouts with the Goodyear Marathon too and that Goodyear replaced them and also paid for the coach repairs. Not sure what year. His name is Dennis Walker at Walker Trailer Sales in Nora Springs Iowa. www.walkertrailersales.com He might be a good resource. I tried to upgrade the tires on the Montana I am getting and they quoted $1500; price of a new set of G614. Had to pass. Unaffordable.
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by denandannie

Since there has been so much dissatisfaction with the Marathon tires, I'd suggest that those who have valid complaints do something about it. If you go to safercar.gov, you can file a complaint. You can also find information or file a complaint at nhtsa.gov

If we get enough people submitting complaints maybe someone will listen. I cannot complain as my tires have yet to fail. But those of you out there in MOC land who have negative experiences can sure try to make your voice heard.

I emailed my dealer, Bretz RV in Missoula, MT, and of course they had never heard of any complaints about the Marathon tires. Which did not come as a surprise to me. My next letter will be to Keystone.

When I contacted Keystone a year or so ago about Marathon tires, I was told to contact GoodYear if I had any issues with the tires...I thought that since Keystone was putting these tires on their products, that they would have some interest in the tire's performance...not so. Your letter to Keystone may reap some good, but I would not bet on it.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
This what I got from Goodyear today. I will save this email.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our website.

There are no known safety issues with the Goodyear Marathon trailer tires.
If you have a problem or are concerned about your tires we would recommend
visiting your nearest authorized Goodyear retailer for an inspection for
your peace of mind.

You can locate your nearest authorized retailer on our web site or by
calling toll free 1-800-466-3932.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Apparently Goodyear needs the link to this website and maybe some others that have Marathon users...
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I did mention this website in my letter to Goodyear.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

Apparently Goodyear needs the link to this website and maybe some others that have Marathon users...
That's why you have to call customer service and talk to a real person. Goodyear has to post that sort of thing on their website or the legion of lawyers will descend upon them.
Just for example, if you look at the label on a box of Star Kist at a Dairy Queen you'll find these words "Caution product is cold and may stick to lips or tongue." If the company is putting it out in public, in writing, you can be bet it was approved by most of the lawyers in that state. Which of course says nothing about the truth of the statement.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

This what I got from Goodyear today. I will save this email.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our website.

If you have a problem or are concerned about your tires we would recommend
visiting your nearest authorized Goodyear retailer for an inspection for
your peace of mind.

You can locate your nearest authorized retailer on our web site or by
calling toll free 1-800-466-3932.

Got a similar letter from a GoodYear rep....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
A lot of reading but good tire info here from another forum. I hope it works!!!

http://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cfm...pging/1/page/1