Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
jjfavret
Established Member

M.O.C. #8918
What to look out for.

Headed to the Tampa Show to replace our 2002 Montana. Not sure what I'll end up with but need feed back of what problems people are finding with new RV's. Example The loose electric studs in the panel box. Mine didn't burn up but sure melted some stuff. Thanks in advance. Feel free to jump in and add on. The more information I have when I take possession the better I'll feel.

jjfavret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
New Monty with "Big Sky Package" would be my choice. Several interesting new floorplans. Good Luck, Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Tires, make the dealer replace the Chineese made Goodyear Marathons.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

Tires, make the dealer replace the Chineese made Goodyear Marathons.
My recommendation would be not to even mess around with marathons but go straight to BF Goodrich Commercial TA or better yet Michellin Ribs.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
When at the factory tour, they indicated the level up system may become standard soon. 40-50% of the Montana's we saw being built had level up system.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
You mentioned loose wiring in the panel box. Yes it is an issue that must be checked. I also found the wire insulation in the connection ( connection tightened down on the insulation and not the wire) found 4 of them like that. Go for a second ac. Check the mattress really good, in our 2012 it was a real piece of junk. My wife could squeeze ours flat on the edge with her fingers.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
jjfavret
Established Member

M.O.C. #8918
Thanks to all of you for your input. We are still up in the air as to what we want. You know, the usual, what the boss wants & what I want. Sure do like the looks of the Sanibel, but think is not in my range.
jjfavret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
Goodyear Marathons ARE Chinese tires. Almost all trailer tires are Chinese tires. If you buy truck tires to replace your trailer tires be sure to understand that trailer tires have a thicker stiffer side wall than a truck tire so you would be putting yourself at risk. Move up a load range to be safe. Don't forget to upgrade the wheels to match the higher load range tires.

Also know that the trailer axles that come from the factory do not support the weight advertised. My axles are rated for 7000 lbs each (14000 lbs total) and I never had more than 12000 lbs total (2000 lbs under rating) on the axles and one of my spindles bent from a pothole. Also the load range E 10 ply Goodyear Marathons failed at that weight.
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I certainly agree with the comments re the Chinese tires...they have to go. You will NOT be putting your self at risk with LT truck tires IF they meet the load requirements. Also, the axle ratings are not designed to support the entire GW of the trailer but the weight that is on the axles only, not including the weight carried as pin weight in the truck.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
True, there is no risk with LT tires. A lot of high end trailers come from the factory with them installed. My current SOB the Alpenlite is one that has LT tires from the factory and are listed as the replacemnets on the side of the trailer. I pick up my 3000rk tomorrw and that is the first thing I will do is dump the Marathons and get BFG's. Not sure why manufactors still mess around with ST tires when LT's are not that much more and would do big things in the customer satisfaction dept.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Goodyear G614RST, Made in the USA, Best ST trailer tire on the market, IMHO, of course.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
Ask a reputable tire shop and they will confirm what I said in my post above. Truck tires are NOT the same as trailer tires and are not made to handle continuous weight at constant highway speeds. Trailer tires have a thicker sidewall. I've done a lot of research on this subject... Please do your research before you contradict.
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote