Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
seanjackmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11166
Adjisting Pinbox height??

When my monty is hooked up tp my truck I notice it seems as if the monty is angles upwards towards the truck bed. Almost as if the its traveling up hill. Its not a problem pulling but I noticed when backing into my driveway up a curb my spare tire hits due to the angle the trailer is at. So I would like to know if I can adjust my pinbox to help the monty sit more level in turn raising the back end. Hope that makes sense. Also I just traded in for a 2011 f 350. My old truck was a 250. So the box will be even higher, by an inch or two creating a steeper angle in the trailer.
Im still new to 5th wheels so sorry if this question is stupid.
STM

seanjackmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You just need to be aware of the bed rail clearance. 6" is typically the minimum acceptable clearance most feel is needed. If you have more than 6" clearance now, you could lower the hitch (assuming it can be lowered) until you are down to 6" clearance. If you are already at 6" or less, I would not lower it any more as you could easily hit the side rails on uneven terrain.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Keep this in mind: The more your trailer sits high in the front, the more weight is added to the two rear tires. IDEALLY, the trailer sits level while on the truck. A good way of measuring is to measure the frame to ground both in the rear and in the front. If too much difference you may need to be careful how you load your trailer. Less weight in rear and more in front. Once you have the trailer loaded and are ready to go somewhere you can stop and have EACH axle weighed to see what the difference is. Don't think this or any other question is stupid. We were all where you are at one point.......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Greetings Guys, just want to mention that in lieu of raising the pinbox, you may be able to lower your hitch. I was able to lower my hitch pretty easy compared to raising the pinbox. Again, proper clearance between the unit and the bedrail is a must. Good luck and good luck with the new truck.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The ideal towing angle is having the trailer dead level. That being said, make sure you have the 6 inch bed clearance as stated. I adjusted my pinbox to get the trailer level but adjusting either the pinbox or hitch will work.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If the new F350 is an SRW 4x4 "offroad", it probably has 4" spacers on the rear axles. You can change those to 2" spacers to drop the rear by that much. I had that done on my '07 F350 FX4.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I had to lower my truck 2 inches also to get level while maintaining bedrail clearance. The spring hanger lowering kit was around $200.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
seanjackmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11166
Thanks for all the replies. I will explore all the different options you all mentioned. I still have a good month before camping season here in Mi. Im loving the new 6.7 so far. Although I have not had much opportunity to tow with it. It seem so much quiter then then 6.4 and more powerful. Cant wait to put some good miles on it.
STM
Old 03-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
I have that minor nose high problem also. what kind of business ids the best place to have the truck lowered the 2 inches you guys are talking about.
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bill maietta

I have that minor nose high problem also. what kind of business ids the best place to have the truck lowered the 2 inches you guys are talking about.
The Ford dealer is probably the best. They did mine. Ford actually has a TSB (technical service bulletin) stating something to the effect that some F350 may be too high for some 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers. And the TSB outlines what is necessary to replace the spacers. On mine it just needed the new spacers and shorter U bolts. But there are some other things they looked at. Service manager looked at it and said if anything, it should run smoother with the 2" blocks as it straightened out the drive line some.
This TSB goes all the way back to 1999. Originally they would do it under warranty, but now you have to pay for it. I did convince them to do mine free. I told the salesman that I was buying the truck specifically to tow a 5th wheel camper. Then after I completed the purchase, I found out about the TSB and requested the modification for free. After a few calm discussions beginning with the salesman, his boss, the general manager, and being turned down each time, I insisted on speaking with the dealership owner after each level. The GM finally agreed to do it for free when he finally saw I would not give in to his last offer of half price. Of course half price to him meant half retail price, which would mean the costs of my half would have been more than his half.
My towing probably would have been OK without the mod, but the 5er would have been a little nose high. And now it is easier to get things into and out of the bed which is also nice.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I had mine done at a local truck performance dealer called Travelier.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #12
seanjackmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11166
More food for thought. Thanks guys. I havent had my new trailer on the new truck. However Im going from a 2010 250 to a 2011 350 I cant imagine it will be any different. Im starting to wonder if I just had my lower the pressure in my air bags the truck would squat enough to sit level still but too much it will through the alignment up of the drive shaft.
thank again love this sight
Old 03-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #13
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Most 350 SRW trucks have 18" or 20" wheels and your 250 most likely had 16" wheels. My 350 DRW has 16" wheels and is the same height as my 250 was.The bigger wheels and tires, the higher the truck will be.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
seanjackmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11166
So finally put enough miles on my 350 to tow according to ford. My fears we realized. My trailer looks as if its 15 degrees off level. I was pulling out of the truck stop after getting a cat weight and bottomed out the trailer on a slight decline. Im pretty worried this issue could get worse. Has anyone filpped the axle or added taller blocks? What is the cost involved in this? Im already strapped after the truck and trailer and dont want to tell the wife I have to put another couple grand into this hobby!!!! Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone I really love this site. No offense to the others (rvnet) but everyone here is friendly and not ever combative.
STM
Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The axles are already under the springs on the Montanas. And mine is so high already, I would not want it any higher.
How much bed rail clearance do you have?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
These new trucks are awesome. But I was telling my Dad when we were looking at them that they sit too darn high to tow fivers. A big, bad, high sitting truck looks great. But don't these manufacturer's know people buy duallies to tow trailers?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #17
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
seanjackmc-
How high in inches is the surface of your hitch? Just curious because my truck sits a bit higher than stock and my trailer is only slightly "nose high". Doesn't seem like it will be a problem but I'm still weighing options. I believe the hitch surface on mine is about 54". That is with the Superrails and my 16k Superglide hitch so it may sit a bit higher than others?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
seanjackmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11166
Ill have to check tonight and let you know. Looking at your pic the ass of your trailer does look lower then the front but pictures can lie. I talked to someone at the dealer today and quoted my 400 bucks to flip the axles. He said it can be done. He also said it will give me another 4 inches or so which would make a big difference to me. I have about 6in of bed rail clearance to lowering the hitch is not an option for me. Im really happy with the way my truck tows the trailer just made me cringe when I was pulling out of a truck stop and saw the rear scraping on the pavement.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about. Generally flipping the axles means taking from over the springs and putting them under the springs. I believe yours are already under the springs
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
seanjackmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11166
So if my dealer is wrong what are my options. I cant imagine Im the first person to tow this trailer or any montana with a 2011 f350 srw. Do I live with the potential to scrape bottom or do I lower the truck. Is it possible to just add blocks and longer u joints to gain the extra clearance. Seems like a pretty poor design when you cant tow a montana with a 4wd tv because you are worried about clearance. I had to remove the spare tire just to get it up the curb to my driveway. Id be amazed if there were zero adjustments that could be made. Im not concerned with the trailer being any higher, leveling it wont increase the actual height compared to how it is on the truck. The front of the trailer will always be the highest due the hitch and relationship to the height of the truck bed. Ill call keystone tomorrow and my actual montana dealer and get some advice from the. Seem pretty crappy place who sell and service the montana wouldnt know the axles are already below the spring.