Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Dodge 6.7 fuel filter

If you have a Dodge with a 6.7 there is now an updated fuel filter. Apparently 9 or 10 microns are not enough as the new filter is good to 2 microns. With it filtering that fine I would think the filter will plug a little sooner. It also requires changeing something but I am not sure what that was. The dealer (Dave Smith) said the part was on them.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mike, Did you get a recall on this? Jim
Old 04-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
It's currently not a recall but a Technical Service Bulletin and from what I gather it takes filtration from 7 to 5 microns and adds additional water separation.

14-003-09 REV - Heavy Duty Filtration - MOPAR Retrofit or Add On Parts Available

You can find more details here: http://6.7cummins.com/recalls-tsbs/
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I get my Filters, Oil and Fuel from Geno's garage. They informed me two months ago, I opted to have it installed the unit was two piece and from now on its a insert cartriage and it should help. I have faith in the People at Geno's they are some how are connected to the cummins Manufacture. The products are mostly Fleetgaurd. Prices are a little cheaper than the Dodge Dealers.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I just received a Recall # J35 Reprogram ECM - Regeneration Strategy.
" The ECM software programon your truck Vin # xxxxxxx may cause illumination of the Malfunction Indicator light (MIL) when no problem exists or under certain conditions allow heavy sooting of the turbo charger, exhaust gas recirculation valve and diesel particulate filter. Heavy sooting could damage emissions components and result in increased amissions."

I get it done tomorrow at 0900hrs.
I'll let you know what happened.
I didnt get anything on the fuel filter, but I will ask them about it though. do you have the recall number and post it before I go tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I just received a Recall # J35 Reprogram ECM - Regeneration Strategy.
" The ECM software programon your truck Vin # xxxxxxx may cause illumination of the Malfunction Indicator light (MIL) when no problem exists or under certain conditions allow heavy sooting of the turbo charger, exhaust gas recirculation valve and diesel particulate filter. Heavy sooting could damage emissions components and result in increased amissions."

I get it done tomorrow at 0900hrs.
I'll let you know what happened.
I didnt get anything on the fuel filter, but I will ask them about it though. do you have the recall number and post it before I go tomorrow.

The recall number I got in the mail today is J35 It is an ECM flash. I sure wish the dealer had checked my truck for this when they installet the running boards for the box and changed out the fuel filter.

Other than the new recommended filer, the dealer tried to sell me a $450 filtration system that is frame mounted. It was a filter in one canister and a water seperator in another. I figgured that I could probably find it for about half of what they wanted.

The 2 micron number I quoted in my first post was in error. I believe the 2 micron filtering was the big bucks one they tried to sell me.

The recall notice also points out that failure to take care of it may be looked on as vehicle neglect and lack of maintenance for waranty purposes.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mike did you notice that on that recall notice there was a setion stating that your local DMV might require a certificate saying the work was preformed, I asked the dealer about this and they said they would give me one, I'm going to today I'll keep you posted.
Don

On Edit:
got it all checked out and received my proof of correction for Calif DMV.
I asked the diesel mechanic about the fuel filter, he said if communs thought it needed a better filter they would have installed it on the vehicle the only change that was made on the fuel filter was they went to a drop, in rather than a spin on much less money he said.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:31 AM   #8
Sgrob47
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7031
What my dealer told me about the fuel filter was, Dodge went with new filter type which required installing new filter housing. Of course the new housing wasn't free.
Sgrob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sgrob47

What my dealer told me about the fuel filter was, Dodge went with new filter type which required installing new filter housing. Of course the new housing wasn't free.
thats right on the 09 Ram is when they came out with the new filter incert. and they are much less money than the early model filters.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Dave Smith Motors didn't charge me for the housing, only for the new filter and to change it. I sure wish they would have checked it for the new ECM flash while they had the truck.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

Dave Smith Motors didn't charge me for the housing, only for the new filter and to change it. I sure wish they would have checked it for the new ECM flash while they had the truck.
I agree the dealer should check every vehicle for up dates, if the dealer didn't check it there slipping on service.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
I recently ordered (from Gino's)and installed the new filter and housing for my 6.7L Cummins. It was simple to do. Just remove the old filter by screwing off the canister as if you were changing the filter unit and screw on the new one with the changable drop-in filter (5 microns). The original was a 7 micron I believe. The easiest method is to remove the driver's side wheel well (only a few screws and simple to remove and reinstall)to gain access to the fuel filter.

The factory unit was expensive to replace and called for the one piece housing and filter which contained the drain valve. The new one allows you to replace only the filter element but not the housing (cheaper). Just unplug the wiring harness, drain off a small amount of fuel to relieve the pressure, and unscrew the plastic canister. Remove the old filter element and replace with a new one (cheaper than replacing the whole OEM unit). Plug in the wiring harness and prime the system as indicated in the owners manual. I ordered an extra filter element with the new kit.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote