Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For You History Buffs

I received the following in an email with no credits.

This is a "must see" for any WWII history buff or veteran.... Or anyone who is interested in history itself. It is interesting to see the other signers of the document, from New Zealand & Australia to Europe & Russia.

This is an actual film made of the surrender ceremony of the Japs to McArthur in Tokyo Bay in September 1945. Actual voice of the General. Never been shown to the general public before. We always saw the "stills" but never the film itself.

Historical Footage: Japanese Surrender Signing Aboard Battleship Missouri on Sunday Sept. 2, 1945.

This is an important piece of history.

Japanese Surrender

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
This has been shown on the History and Military channels as well as others I believe. It may not have been shown in its entirety but the most important parts were shown.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, I saw it on the History Channel. But now I can watch it anytime with this link.

It would be something to hear from any of the Sailors, Marines or Soldiers who were there, or even any of the pilots overhead who flew over after the signing to hear their orders and personal experiences. To be an otherwise insignificant presence, but without whose participation could not imagine the importance of such an historic moment for lots of us decades later.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
That is very moving and a very historic part of our history. Thanks for sharing, and I will save it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Wayne,
I have seen parts of this surrender before but never the entire ceremony. Thanks for sending it along.

Semper Paratus
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Thanks, Wayne. Things like this need to have a more promonent place in history lessons now being taught in our schools.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There are some textbooks where Pearl Harbor has been removed and the only thing mentioned about the Pacific War is when we bombed Japan. Some of the Japanese textbooks are that way also. Thanks goodness the History and Military channels are telling the truth but most of our young people do not watch those channels. It will not be long until there is no one left to tell the real story.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Today, like book-ends protecting the beginning and ending, the USS Arizona and the USS Missouri are at thier berths in Pearl Harbor. I was in Hawaii when the USS Missouri was first towed into Pearl Harbor in June, 1998. She was a sight to see. Old and rusted then, today she has been cleaned and polished and is proudly keeping watch over the Arizona.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote