Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Best state of residence for fulltimers

We left NJ on 2/1 to fulltime. We came to Texas and changed residency. We found everything is more expensive in Texas than NJ. What a surprise. Our car insurance went up for same coverage with State Farm about $200 a year. Our fiver and truck registration is more expensive in Texas. My Medicare supplement is more. We were shocked that our fiver insurance went from $535 a year to $1,315 for same coverage.

Leonard's health insurance from his job in NJ expires on 2/28. He could continue it from his State job for rest of his life but it is an HMO and costs more than $800 a month. We understood we could get a high deductible health savings account here for a reasonable cost. We just found out today he was denied because he saw a cardiologist two months ago. No problem found, but he is still denied. The agent will look for something else but it will be a lot more expensive.

Please, can someone give us some facts on what other options/states to look into. This time I will make lots of phone calls to agents, etc before we make any move. We have to consider everything. He is 61, so it will be 4 more years before medicare and another 10 months to his Social Security. I am 66. If he was 65 and knowing what we know now would have kept NJ residency and purchased a medicare supplement as I have. NJ does not offer individual health savings accounts.

We thought we knew what we were doing. Now we are not so sure.

All information appreciated.

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phyllen,
Can't you always "move" back to NJ? I'm not sure I understand the problem. I also do not understand the statement you made about your MediCare supplement. Isn't the MediCare thing the same whatever state you live in?

I think I'm going to get a good education when the answers come in on this issue. Only appropriate since I don't even know enough to ask the "right" questions!

Thanks,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You are correct about Medicare supplement Dennis. That part is the same in any state, but you can not get the supplement until you are 65. The problem with a HMO is that you usually have to go to a specific Dr or Clinic and most of them would be in NJ. I know many full timers that return annualy to their old home state for just that reason.. $800 a month is actually one of the cheaper rates for someone in their 60's.. I know many that are paying a whole lot more then that and I also know way too many that are without insurance and are saying prayers that they will stay healthy at least until they are 65.

As for your auto and RV Insurance, we have found South Dakota to be the best for us but that is just our opinion. Since South Dakota had so many other advantages for us we didn't dig into a whole lot of others options.

I wish you the best.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Medicare supplement cost is based in Zip Code. I pay more due to having a zip code with a high percentage of seniors.

We will be looking into alternative health insurance today for Len. We had really hoped to have him enrolled in a high deductible HSA. It will all work out, I am sure.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The cost of insurance depends on where you live within a State. I live south of Kansas City about 40 miles and pay $535 for my truck insurance. However if I had it in Kansas City it would be over $1100. If I wanted to save even more money I would go to South Dakota. I have a HSA with Blue Cross Blue Shield it cost $213 a month with a $5000 deductible. It pays 100% after that and I can go to any doctor. I am also in my 60's. I have no health issues but was also turned down the first time the agency applied with a different company. There again it may be where you are living.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phyllen

We understood we could get a high deductible health savings account here for a reasonable cost. We just found out today he was denied because he saw a cardiologist two months ago. No problem found, but he is still denied. The agent will look for something else but it will be a lot more expensive.
You might want to look into:

The Texas Health Insurance Pool. "The Health Pool is a program primarily intended for Texans who are unable to obtain insurance from licensed private insurers because of their health condition."

Look at item 7 at this URL
http://www.texashealthoptions.com/cp/disable.html
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Not sure if this is something you are looking for, but it might be helpful...

http://content.kiplinger.com/tools/retiree_map/
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Texas automotive insurance rates are dependent on the county you live in. The more rural, the lesser the rate. At least that is the way I understand it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phyllen... take a look at http://www.escapees.com/ they are a full timers organization headquartered out of livingston , Tx. They may be able to give you some advise.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Wow, this makes me realize how fortunate I am being retired military, no health insurance cost other than Medicare, and having Texas insurance for the Truck, Monty and house hold goods in storage (all replacement cost coverage) for way less than you have stated.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We are members of Escapees. We spent our first week fulltiming in Livingston. We went to one of their recommended insurance agencies for our fiver insurance. When we get back to Texas in a few weeks, we will be shopping for different fiver insurance. Also, we are now looking at South Dakota costs. We did enjoy our time at the Escapees Park and plan on lots more trips to that one and others.

It will all work out. I refuse to stress over it. Thanks everyone for your kind replies and suggestions.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I wasn't going to post anything in this thread since I'd made my views made several times in the past. We started full timing in November 2000. We had looked into what we thought would be best for us. Since the Escapees RV Club provided a legal address for their members, and provided a lot of legal coverage (no property tax, legally vote, etc.) we became members and have not regretted it.

As far as which state is best for full timers goes, that's an individual thing. Only the person(s) themselves can answer that. What's best for me may be far from best for you. Only you can decide.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Like Orv, I think there are several states, each of which is best to some and not to others. In our case, we went with South Dakota back in February 2003. Some of the reasons and pertinent points -

- We can and do legally vote by absentee ballot
- we pay no property taxes on our vehicles and rv
- we pay no state income taxes.
- we pay no sales tax on vehicle trades. However, we do pay a 3% excise tax on the **trade difference** when we trade vehicles or rv's. That amounts to a 3% sales tax on the trade difference even though it's not called that.
- we have NO vehicle inspections of any kind, not annual nor at initial registration.
- we did not have to have our vehicles in SD for initial registration.
- when I trade vehicles or rv, I handle all the details online or by mail. No need to go to SD.
- I handle registration renewals by mail or online.
- South Dakota has the third lowest insurance rates in the USA, which is a factor in our mind, also.
- Our drivers licenses are good for five years. We do have to go to any county courthouse in SD to renew our license. I understand that's now a requirement from homeland security for everyone or will be soon.
- We have an excellent mail service to forward our mail and they provide our legal residence address.

Most of those are the same in Texas and Florida and maybe some other states. As Orv said, I think you have to pick the one best for you. And you have to consider other factors, such as what is most convenient for initial setup and for renewing that drivers license. Good luck with your decision.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We agree with Steve for all the same reasons. The added bonus was we got to go to SD (in the beginning), might not have done that had we not been establishing residency. We saw a lot of things we had dreamed about and had a great time.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote