Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Bluetooth adapter for OnStar?

We have 2007.5 Sierra with OnStar. It doesn't have Bluetooth link for hands-free cellphone use. Our other vehicle, a newer GM, has Bluetooth in the OnStar. It works pretty well and the OnStar works, too. Has anybody heard of an add-on module that adds Bluetooth and accesses all of the vehicle controls (off-hook, radio silencer, etc.)without breaking the OnStar. So far, I've learned that Delphi now makes such a thing (they make the OnStar), but plans to OEM it exclusively through GM parts. I know how cheap that will be...

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
My rig, 05 Silverado, has onstar, and mik/speakers that allow for handsfree usage. I don't know about the bluetooth feature, nor why I would need it since I can use it with the built in feature of Onstar. Good luck.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
My '05 GMC Sierra has OnStar. I can buy prepaid minutes for it through OnStar, can dial by voice or can program it with numbers. Probably cheaper in the long run than the OEM device will be.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think that was one of the reasons I didn't go GM they told me I could not use my Verizon on there system without having to pay for that service, I didn't want to have two diferant phone companies.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
on my 2001, when I used the onstar prior to all digital ( it is analog), all calls were through verizon with it. I know that i could add the minutes through my family share plan, just like a regular cell line. however, still had to pay the onstar monthly fee.
I figured that is what i had the cellphones for, and did no need a separate number. I could buy the wilson wireless repeater and have it paid for. Keep the onstar active for crash response and emergencies.
Since all has gone digital, my 2001 analog onstar is useless. Waiting to purchase 2012 silverado HD dually and get the new system in another year.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
We use the Bluetooth feature of the newer Onstar to route the cell phone throught the mic and speakers of the vehicle. The cell plan minutes are WAAAYYY cheaper than the Onstar minutes and my clients know the cell number. If I had the Bluetooth in the Sierra, then I could save money and be more responsive, as well as not breaking the new Ontario hands-free laws when driving the Sierra (not often right now, admittedly).
Old 02-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Dave, take a look here. I didn't read up on it, as we have the Bluetooth in the new Silverado. I would probably not have ordered it, as I had never used it, but wouldn't be without it now.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Will, Thanks for the link to the lockpick. I'll be ordering one of these.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Yes, thanks for the link. Does anybody know what "lockpicks" do/not do as compared to the 2009 OnStar Bluetooth functions? I think I understand that they simply enable functions that GM has disabled for particular models.
On that note, I hear that Cadillac integrates "everything" to the driver selection buttons, while "lesser" models don't, e.g., pedal/steering wheel extensions, mirrors. Sounds like a good lockpick application, too.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Yes, thanks for the link. Does anybody know what "lockpicks" do/not do as compared to the 2009 OnStar Bluetooth functions? I think I understand that they simply enable functions that GM has disabled for particular models.
On that note, I hear that Cadillac integrates "everything" to the driver selection buttons, while "lesser" models don't, e.g., pedal/steering wheel extensions, mirrors. Sounds like a good lockpick application, too.
I went back and read a little on the lockpick; not sure I've figured it all out yet. Like you say, there are some features I would love to add, like the seat adjustment memory. Of course, I'm just not up to date on all the tech stuff on the vehicles. I still have a couple steering wheel control buttons I'm not sure of yet. The salesman paired our Blackberry phones to the Bluetooth. I finally figured out how to get mine to automatically link without having to authorize it each time. So much better now.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote