Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Electricians and Electrical Gurus input needed

First of all, this has nothing to do with RV's. Most of the MOC hopefully remembers last years dock project that was detailed, and I am pleased to report that the final phase of the project is soon to commence. Part of the project is electrical, so I am soliciting advice, opinions and experience from my on-line knowledge base, of which the MOC is a primary component. Last year a few MOCers followed the progress of the project and next is the installation of a floating boat lift and the associated electrical and water pedestal. I have decided on a Hatteras pedestal which will provide 30 amp and 20 amp connections along with a fresh water hookup. The questions are as follows:
1) I know the 30 amp feed will require 10 guage wire, but does it physically have to be grounded to a grounding rod or will the ground through the breaker box suffice?
2) Ditto the above question with regards to the 20 amp feed which will be 12 guage wire.
3) I am also curious for the breaker installation whether I should use ground fault breakers at the main box. The pedestal has GFCI breakers on it, so is the additional expense necessary in the main breaker or will the pedestal breakers suffice?

Obviously, if and when all is finished, additional photos will be posted as an addition to the original slide show that was previously posted showing the dock construction from beginning to it's current state. For those like me who are stickhouse bound, suffering cabin fever and want a refreshing break, here is a link to last year's slideshow:
Dock Construction Slideshow
We are planning on the addition of a couple of picnic tables with umbrellas, already added a couple of benches and a Chiminea. The final details will be adding wood ballusters to the handrails on the ramp and steps. Obviously, we cannot wait for this year since the total project will be complete and we will be able to fully enjoy our new island paradise! The other benefit, is with all this construction over and done with, there will be more time for camping and in particular the three rallies that we have on the Calendar for this year!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bingo,
I'll PM you.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Bingo - If Jim doesn't answer your questions let me know.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Well Bingo after being up to your stick house and seeing the project as it came along I have every bit of confidence that it will be of the safest and up most quality when you have it completed. As far as having a touch of cabin fever; if you just take the boat out for a spin with the canopy down, I’m sure that would do for a fix that would last you the rest of the winter season!

Has there been very much ice around your dock?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hey Bill,
The only problem with a short spin in the boat, is having the daggone thing re-winterized afterwards to the tune of about $200. I think I can wait for April with that in mind. During the cold snap, we had about a half-inch thick layer around the dock. The layer extended all the way across the river to the other side. The first time I have ever seen it frozen clear across in the twenty years we have been in this area!!
bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I would not trust the ground circut from the electrical supply circut. Being you are around water and a ground is a safety. I would put in a couple ground rods. The cost is minimal and not a lot of labor for the insurance of the extra safety from the extra grounding.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote