Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
oicu812

M.O.C. #7436
Ford Tow Command brake controller

Not a monty problem but, has anyone had problems with the Ford factory brake controller?
On way to FL while towing in the rain controller beeped and got message "check trailer" just for a couple of seconds. Continued traveling and same message showed several times but I had trailer brakes and then got message "trailer fault", still had brakes, but later "trailer fault" showed every few seconds and applying brakes into rest area, trailer brakes activated on-off-on-off-on-off. Shutdown, checked wiring and plug, all OK. Restarted truck and everything was find for about half an hour then trouble started again.
The longer I go the worse it gets. Shutdown, restart, again normal for a while. Second day was dry but had same problem. Looks like controller problem to me.

oicu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
It might help to know what year is your truck. There are a number of people on this forum with Fords that have had the same problem and could offer suggestions. I have had only one problem such as yours with my 2005 truck and that was traced to the install the dealer did in the bed of the truck for the elect. hookup. I now use the standard trailer hook up under the rear bumper and have had no problems.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I had the trailer fault light come on when I applied the brakes, with no trailer hooked up. I figured the computer was smarter than I am so it had to be in the trailer plug in wiring. I had put a an additional plug in the bed of the truck that was plugged into the existing wiring harnass at the rear plug. I pulled the plug apart and it was full of water, I had tied it up with the female part on the bottom, water got in and could not get out. I dried it out, turned it over and havent had any problems since.
I suspect that you have a similar problem, water in one of your connections shorting it out.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I would have some one apply the brakes manually and wiggle the brake wires where ever you can see them, also short tugs on the wires entering and exiting the axles. If nothing shows, then I'd remove the right rear brake drum, check the wires there,then continue pulling drums to make sure the magnet wires aren't chaffed. With the roads broken up as badly as they are ,the right rear wheel seems be the one that shorts out. Good luck, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
This past August, I had a similar escalating problem with the brake controller on my 2007 F350. Initially, I got just a single "trailer fault" signal that went away quickly. A few hours later, I again got a brief "trailer fault" signal while towing our rig. Over the next few days, the fault signal began appearing more and more frequently and I began to lose trailer brake function--beginning with the "working-not working-working" cycle that I think you are describing. When we got my rig and truck to an RV dealer, I had them check all the trailer brake drums as well as the wiring harness system in the truck. The only problem we found was the widely reported problem of the wire to the magnet on the right rear wheel beginning to fray. Although the insulation didn't appear to be worn all the way thru yet, I had the tech tape it up and then tie it back so it was out of the way. When we put everything back together, no more "trailer fault" signals and no problems with the trailer brakes.

So if you don't find any problem with your trailer wiring, do check the trailer brake wiring, starting with the right rear wheel.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know what year your Ford is, but there is a known TSB for the 2008 and up models (and perhaps earlier) dealing with water intrusion into the rear plug. Allegedly the dealer can dump the failure code and more closely determine what triggers the messages.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I had the identical problem and turned out to be a bad connection in the trailer connector plug. There was a little corrosion from sitting. I sprayed it out with Electrical Contact cleaner and followed with WD40 to prevent it from coming back. so far so good. Also had a problem with the TBC and it was the pressure sensor for the brakes.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What David said.. Check the wiring in the trailer. We had the same issue..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I had the same problem on my 05 3400 and it was the wire connections where they split by the axles to go over curb side wheels. I replaced the connections and had no further problems
steves is offline   Reply With Quote