Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Montana Facebook Group

I certainly wouldn’t want to compete with this forum or take anyone away. I thoroughly enjoy it very much. However, if anyone uses face book; Salle Wilson aka… (vabluebird) has started a group on face book for Montana owners. You can view it here.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I and many other MOCers are already Facebook members. Although I have been a member of Facebook for sometime I have not been at all active. I also have many family members and other friends that are members. I am constantly getting emails to become So & So's friend and even though I do become their friend I rarely, if ever, send a message.
I find it a chore, an enjoyable chore, just trying to keep up with this MOC forum. I don't feel I have the time nor the ambition in participating in Facebook.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I just joined the group on facebook, although I think this is the forum you want to be on to get the knowledge that you learn from others
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Question:
If I am already on facebook and have a group of friends (actually grandkids and family) would everyone on the Montana facebook site have to view our family plans and comments? Just wondering if my friends are automatically your friends, too. I would like to become a member of the Montana facebook site if the friends are only Montana friends. You really wouldn't be interested in what my grandkids are doing, but I would love to hear about your travels and other stuff.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Facebook is like another page with other priorities. I feel that Forums like the MOC provide very valuable, specific knowledge and practical applications that members can access and share. Facebook? IMHO, I don't think some of our other friends would appreciate us talking about RV challenges and success.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have been on FB for ohhhh, 10 months or so. There are indeed a number of MOCers on FB, some of us are active, others are not. Some of the active ones find it fun to share some travel stories or photos on FB and all friends and family can see at once. Seems that some use to augment their web pages or blog.

Groups have seperate pages where you can post stuff just to the group. I find it useful for my family history stuff to belong to several groups on FB, some dealing with research facilities here in Michigan, others with family history in general.

So far, my family does not seem to object to my posts on FB about my RV friends and activities.

Al rarely checks FB, I am checking a few times a day, I enjoy the different format on FB.

But, FB is NO substitute for the MOC and the info exchanged and shared here, that is for sure.

FB is just another tool for me to stay in touch with MOC and family.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since I have a Verizon air card with a ceiling on upload/download limits and Face Book and others like U-Tube, etc., which are heavy on graphics, I don't think Face Book is a good option for regular viewing. For her part, Dianna feels that email and Picassa are adequate for building slide shows and controlling who gets what information. For Face Book fans I think it is great.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'll let you do your own search on the key words, "facebook security." (without the quotes)

One of the things that identity thieves are known to do is to social engineer information from people. I'm on facebook, only because my children asked me to. But, it is a plethora of social engineering.

"Social engineering is the act of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information." Now lets look at your circle of friends. Not one of them may know a "whole" story about you, but over time you have told each of them just a little bit about your self and maybe your past. So the social engineer gets into your circle of friends and just asks simple questions. As he/she gets information from each, he/she is able to start piecing the information together to come up with an overall piece of social information that only you know in its entirety. That is about as simple as I can put it. Social engineering is the gathering of information to use in a manner that the owner of the information is not willing to really let out into the public.

Well, facebook is a social network. Numerous friends are associated with each other. As one posts a little tidbit of information it is giving the social engineer the ability to piece the information together and possibly use it to steal an identity.

Example: you and I know John and Joan Doe. We know that the have a child and that the child broke his arm last summer. The social engineer has also found out from one of us that John and Joan's child broke their arm. He uses that piece of information in a conversation with you which indicated he knows John and Joan, but he really does not. You or I are comfortable that this person knows John and Joan. During the course of conversation he asks simple questions. None of which by themselves are incriminating. He then uses this information with other friends of John and Joan's, and over time gathers enough information to try and steal an identity.

All I'm trying to say here is that you be very, very careful what you post on facebook, or the internet. It could raise it's ugly head and bite.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen and I are both on face book because family and friends are.. We see no problem with a MOC facebook circle of friends as it is a entirely different thing..Wayman's comments should be considered. The same thing can happen here on the MOC or any forum.... Once you log on to the internet anyone can find you and trace you. Anyone can say they have a Montana and join
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have to agree with Wayne. Here on the MOC we put very little personal information within our posts. Not the same with Facebook. I have seen people place phone #, and complete street addresses. A week or so later that same individual tells all his friends and family that they will be in Florida for the month of January or Texas or Arizona. Or just away for the evening. Hey if your going to tell everyone on Facebook you are not going to be home why even bother locking your doors when you leave.
Think about it! It's been proven that thieves watch obituaries for a funeral date and time. They read the social pages for that up coming wedding. DON'T believe they don't read Facebook for the same type info.
NO the above has nothing to due with identity theft but my type thieves ain't quite as eddykated as Wayne's.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm also on FB and enjoy the social side. But have been on very little lately because of other commitments. I am interested in the MOC group and will check it out.

As other said, on FB as elsewhere you just have to be careful what you divulge. Also, check out the settings. You can control what you see and what others see from you. And when you start seeing a lot of posts with graphics or whatever, move the cursor to the right and you can block that application. This doesn't solve Stiles' problem but it helps control the flow on FB.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
While I try to be careful about posting personal information on the internet unless I know it is a secured site, I refuse to go through life thinking that everyone is the bad guy and miss the good guys in the process. I enjoy facebook and will continue to use it on a daily basis.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ah Helen..well said.... Awareness yes..lock yourself up in a dark room...not.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just Google your name, you will be surprised at what comes up. If you have ever posted on a computer your out there in cyber space. Life is fun enjoy as much as you can while you can. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
It is all about how much information you want to share. I am thrilled about a face book group. You can add me "PhilRoder.KFOR" on facebook.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote