Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
An Observation

Not being from this part of the country, these turnpikes and thruways are all new to us. I must say if I was a local, I might try and find away around them, costly. It cost me almost $45.00 to travel from eastern NY to Buffalo area on I90. HOWEVER, I really like the service plazas, not only for fuel, but restrooms and places to eat or just relax. The key is to pick up a thruway map and plan your stops to eat at places you want to associate with, or not. I90 seems to be in good repair and except for just a few miles of construction was unabaded. Not paying until you exit is a plus also. In Maine or Mass, I can't remember which one, you had to stop every few miles and pay, quarter here, dollar there, pain in the keester. Anyway, does anyone else have any opinions about this type of travel?????

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hi Phil.
I talked to someone traveling that same route when I took it, and they stated that they stayed on parallel roads with more stop and go, but still a relaxing and less expensive ride. We stayed on the Tpk and paid the price. I also like the ability to pay at exit. Here in Texas it $1.00 every so many miles and the toll booth spans the Tpk. Seems like you just get comfortable and you have to slow down and pay again.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We avoid turnpikes, SOMETIMES. And, sometimes they are just easier. I have heard fee stories that turn into pocket robbing nightmares, and we will avoid those if at all possible.

We don't like the pay by the mile ones, ran one around Chicago, MOCers tell me to expect the traffic ticket any day now. SIGHHH. Not that we intended to run it, but it was P*%$ A$$ signage that messed us up. Those pay by the mile are probably OK if you live in the area, but are HORRIBLE for travelers like us. Our experiences so far with the pay by the mile ones have not been favorable, and my take on it is, they are NOT tourist friendly.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If you get a chance, read Steve's (sreigle) bottom line on his signature. Not sure if it applies to turnpikes, but maybe...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We choose to travel turnpikes and interstates most of the time. It may cost but there is the convenience factor. If there is a sight we want to see we get off, see it, and get back on. We just got the EZpass and that makes it a bit less expensive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich is right. I mention Steve's quote from Charles Kuralt, but if you are interested in getting for point A to point B, the interstates/tollways are the best option. Less wear and tear on your brakes - having to stop at stoplights and intersections - and better fuel mileage.

However, if you are truly interested in a leisurely sightseeing drive - which many are, then the the above is not a good option.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
If you are going to travel the toll roads a lot we suggest getting the I-Pass or I-Zoom. This cuts your tolls considerably as well as speeds up going through the toll plazas. We usually travel on the "red roads" (red roads on the map)and avoid interstates unless we need to get from point A to point B in a specific amount of time.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We avoided the toll here in NY by going on US20 alternate--H. John Kohl led us the right way--it was a lot of stop and go getting thru Buffalo but after that beautiful contry side. We are finding that the county and state roads around here (Byron, NY) are all good and smooth and little traffic.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Yep I know the feeling, when I was running a Big Truck it cost then a $167.00 to go from Chicargo to Jersey. And don't forget the GW Bridge in NY, which when built the toll would be temporary? However we always use the Interstates and use toll roads, its just more efficent and in most cases safer than running cross country. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We just spent 6 days at a resort 68 miles from Tulsa. The first day we took the toll, after that we wanted to see the country side. Ok's toll from Miami to Tulsa was very blah, but rte69 was a neat drive and very scenic.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I usually just set the GPS to avoid toll roads and see the sights. Sometimes we will do short sections of toll road to avoid long, out of the way loops of "free" roads.

Some of the toll roads in OK are in worse shape than the regular highways.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Worse toll we ever saw == A few years back to make "travel" money Len drove tractor/trailer for local nursery on weekends. I usually went with him. We ran from Mass down to Va. Once we took a load of plants to Nantucket Island crossing over at Hyannis, MA. on the ferry. Toll was $642.00 EACH WAY. And that was on April 30. May 1 the toll increased. To cross over on the ferry with a tractor/trailer, reservations had to be made weeks in advance. They charge by the length. When we got there almost not allowed to board. The rig was 3 inches longer than registed for. They had us packed on there like sardines.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I cant say too much about toll roads because I dont have too much experance in using them, just when we went from Calif to W Vergina, the ones in Calif I avoid like the plage,
My views are they're over priced for the amount of time a person gets to use it. example: the Hwy 91 Toll area is about 10 or maybe 14 miles long, when it first opened years ago the fees were 1.50 during peak time, and as low as .75 cents at off hours, then they needed more money so they started to charge a fee for paperwork $5.00 per month then they raise it again, now dont forget it's all automated with a transponder no person is involved in paperwork, next was raising the price for the toll road I have see it higer than $5.00 one way. I returned my transponder and got my deposit back, and stay away and just use the 91 freeway instead. Somtimes its faster than the toll road. most of the fees are collected by a private company and the State gets a percentage of the toll and the company gets the rest. I believe my tax dollars and Government money help build this toll road.
Hate them.