Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
toilet filling up with wate

I have a 2007 3400 ,I drain my black tank and flush it out,a little while later i went into the bathrom . The toilet was full and overflowing.I first though I had left the flush water on,but I check and it was off. So then went back out and open the black tank and drain it and then clean up the mess. Well it happen again , WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK THE WATER VALVE,IT HASN'T DONE IT AGAIN

Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Some thoughts:

I assume you have the black tank valve open when you are flushing your black tank.

Do you leave a hose connected to the black tank when not in use. If you do - the water can be turned on w/o you knowing or perhaps a shut off valve is not working properly. I had this happen to me and now the only time I have a hose on the black tank flush is when I'm doing it.

There has to be something wrong?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The water can come from 3 places only, the backflush hose, the fresh water system or a washer. Since you say the backflush was off, I would disconnect it, it has to be the fresh water system or a washer draining into the black tank. That would indicate to me that the flush valve on the toilet is at fault, assuming a washer is not involved. If the black tank filled at the same time, check the entire flushing system since the water went through the fresh water valve and then through the bottom gate. You don't mention if you have a washer and if it drains to the black tank.

Edit; You also don't mention if you close the grey tank off from the black tank.

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had the same situation where the valve for the hose we had connected to the black tank flush was not fully closed. I discovered it in the middle of the night when I sat down, in the dark, only to get my private parts wet. That sure woke me up in a hurry! Turned on the light and discovered a bowl full of brown water within an eyelash of overflowing. Pulled the dump handle, then investigated and found the valve almost closed but not quite. Now I have a short hose always connected to the flush. It now has a shutoff on the end, along with a quick connect. My regular black tank flush hose has quick connects and shutoffs on both ends. That gives me three chances to shut off the flow of water. I don't think we'll have that problem again.

This may not be your problem but as Steves said it's something to check.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
EW!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Vickir... My sentiments exactly!

Have you ever heard something really disgusting that makes you laugh even though it should not be funny. Steve, you take the ticket on this one. Your description was way too accurate, imaginable and possible! I'll never take my black tank and its plumbing for granted again! Thanks for sharing.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Our toilet also overflowed. The problem was the black tank flush valve. I had put a Y on the water supply with a short hose going to the black tank flush. The valve was almost turned off but not quite. I now do not leave the short hose attached but have a quick disconnect for attaching and removing. It won't happen again.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
way too graphic, Steve! I agree with Vicki!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As Steve's problem with the fresh water supply to the toilet Mine didn't shut off all the way either, almost causing a over flow on the bowl the ball valve was closed all the way too, but this was in the day and I was luckey enugh to catch the valve error, I did get a new toilet from Tedford through Camping world the cost to fix it in parts was more than the cost of a new toilet, so they did let me upgrade the new toilet but I payed the differance in cost though.
this is my oppion on Tedford products they are good on warintee work but are using a lower grade product in the flushing mechinism.