Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Igniter for Range

Our igniter for the stove quit working. Has anyone had this problem? If so, have you changed out the igniter or is this something that should be done in the shop?

deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Mine stopped working, found that the wire connected to it under the stove top had come lose.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Raise the cover, remove the stove top grates lift up the stove top and make sure the (all) igniter wires are still connected.

This is not an in shop fix. To remove the igniter switch pull on the igniter knob until it comes off. There are screw fasteners to remove the igniter, then disconnect any wires and take this unit to your dealer. You'll also need to know the make and model of the range to get the correct replacement part. The make and model can be found on a plate or label in the bottom or sides of the cavity under the stove top.

In the meantime, you can use matches or a lighter to manually ignite the burner flames (like in the olden days).

Your model of stove might be different than mine but hopefully you can ascertain how to do this on your stove.

Good luck,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

In the meantime, you can use matches or a lighter to manually ignite the burner flames (like in the olden days).
Like we used to do when the earths crust was still cooling, and dinosaurs ruled!

But I prefer to refer to these things as, "Using the time honored, traditional method.", to accomplish a task.

My piezo-electric starter has also quit working. Guess that I'll actually have to get up and go check it out, instead of hanging around on MOC forums!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I don't even know if mine works - I can't stand the sound of it so I use a stick lighter. That thing is LOUD!
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Like others have said, take the top off and check that the wire for the sparker has not come off. On ours it is a little friction fit plug and socket arrangement, and the wire did shake off.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Another design curiosity.

My stove says, right on the label, it is an RV stove, therefore it is made specifically for RVs by Maytag.

Yet the ignition engineers design the igniter so it connects in an upward fashion using only a friction connector that is subject to gravity and the shaking of a rig in travel so the wire can drop right out. Brilliant!

And one STILL needs to keep a lighter around to get the oven (pilot) started. Fortunately we can keep ours closeby in the flip down drawer in front of our sink a couple of cabinets away.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

On mine, the wire connector for the piezo-electric starter was mysteriously disconnected from the knob assembly. Plugged it back in, and voila!, she works just fine again. I guess time will tell if it stays connected or not. If it does come apart again, I think that a little squeeze of the pliers on the slip-on connector will solve it.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Update:
After calling Maytag (3)times, I finally got ahold of a very smart lady "Joe". The first two didn't know their job or what I was talking about. "Joe" knew what I was talking about and talked to her supervisor and stretched our one year warranty by a couple of months. She sent a new igniter and I got it last week and installed it. It works. Thanks to the Maytag people and especially "Joe".She is the kind of employee that every employer needs. Have a Great Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Excellent! Another one for the archives. I hope it was easy to install.