Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Question on Wireless Backup Camera

I am having an issue with my Voyager backup camera that was purchased with our new Big Sky. The picture will be fine and all of a sudden it will get rolling streaks and almost like the vertical hold is going out. Then, it will be fine. This is continual - 3 to 5 seconds fine, then the rollng and streaks. Also, it seems to go dark after coming out of shade, not sure if that is the camera adjusting sluggish to changing light. Curious if anyone else has had issues. We do love having the camera, though.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
HI Ron...We ordered our Montana 3465SA with the backup camera. It seemed to work fine for a while, then we got a lot of what I will call "interference". Called our dealer who managed to send a whole camera system to me-including receiver, transmitter and camera and all of the wiring. They actually sent 2 transmitters-so I assume that it's a frequent problem. Anyway, I traced my problems down to the transmitter. After replacing it, the second transmitter worked fine-for a while. But it eventually died and after taking it apart, I found some water build up in the transmitter itself. I then replaced the transmitter again, but this time I ran a bead of silicone around the transmitter where it meets the front of the Montana-no problems since.
So, your transmitter may be defective and you may need to get a new one. Once you get a replacement, I strongly suggest running that bead of silicone. The 2 face tape that holds the transmitter doesn't seem to hold the water back. Good luck.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, Ray. I will pass along to my dealer.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hate two face tape for this reason. It does not work under extreme conditions - heat, cold dry, wet - or if it has to hold any weight AND should not be relied on for uses in external areas. I don't even like using it indoors. The glue can dry out over time and I have found the thing I used it with sitting on the floor some time later.

Ray has the right idea to back it up with silicon, but make sure it's exterior grade silicone sealant/adhesive (note the adhesive part) or you'll just have the same problem again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote