Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Length of 5th Wheel at State/National Parks

Good morning all,

We are planning our great rv adventure back east this summer. In researching state parks and for that matter the national parks I see the length limits are 35 ft. The 3500 according to Keystone is roughly 38 ft. Has anyone had any trouble with this? Or should we just stick to private campgrounds with this big of a rig. I'm gonna get the tape measure out when I get back into town tommorow.

Thanks
Mike

msieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Our friends have the same length as you and we have camped in two NYS campgrounds,lake erie and Keuka lake in the fingerlakes both places were more than long enough to park your trailer. I think there only concern is when you are hooked up to your TV that you might stick out into the drive.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It is hard to know. Sometimes, State and National Parks (also COE parks) are quite roomy despite the measurements they give. There is sometimes room to overhang at the back. A lot of parks have been upgraded to take larger rigs, but a lot have not. Almost certainly, there will be more overall roominess in a State or National Park than most private campgrounds. Probably best thing is to call the individual park and hope that someone there has the experience to know what will fit, or simply ask about a specific park here on this Forum.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
The most appropriate answer is probably, it depends. I agree re. calling to check. Some also will not allow our rigs w/slides, as their older sites can be narrow w/o enough clearance. Newer sites can have plenty of room and utilities.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
As was said before, CHECK FIRST. We have found many state/Fed. parks to be too small. I even had one, we hade to back around, through trees to get out, no fun!! Guide books help out some of the time, with site size information. If you call the park directly, they'll often tell you if your rig will fit.
Have a great trip,
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Also the access roads are sometimes limiting factor. There may be very sharp curves and or something on the side of the road that might interfere with your getting in or out of the park.

We were in the Burlington CG in the California Redwood SP a few years back and had a very spacious site but we almost didn't get to it because there was a large redwood on each side of the road across from each other! I had to back two or three times to make it between them.

Just take a look at each place you want to go and see for yourself. You'll quickly learn what will work and what won't.

Good luck and enjoy.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We went to Lake Bob Sadlin state park in TX and Beavers Bend state park in OK last summer. Our 3075RL is 34'-8" according to the web site (have not measured it). You could get another 2'-4' into most of the sites. The real problem was the narrow curvy roads. Plenty of room between sites in both.
You can see how narrow the road is in the picture. And of course, the site we picked we could not let the awing out. but the trees were so thick, it was all shaded anyway.

This picture was changed to a link because it exceeds MOC guidelines of no bigger than 640x480 and no bigger than 90k filesize. Thank you. HOTR
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../100_0377Y.jpg
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As others said, some places it's a problem, others it isn't. It seems older parks are more the problem. And even some of them have a few sites we fit into. You just have to check into it before you get there or get there and be prepared to go elsewhere.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Mike, Forget the tape measure (unless you are checking your unit for exact length). I step off my unit and TV and when hooked up together, and write those 3 numbers down and keep them in the TV. When you get to one of those parks that you could not call, and no one is around to help or answer your questions, find a place to park temporarily. Go in on foot and walk off the spot you like. Also look up and make sure your height can get in and to the spot. Is there enough room to pull in and back in with your TV? Is there room for your slides to come out, and is there room for your awning? If you are comfortable then pull in. If not then plan "B" find another park/CG

Hope this helps
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We once camped above Steamboat Springs, Co. After we got the slides out (actually had Aspens between the slides), we found out our 3400 was parked in a spot for a 16' trailer. It took three people with radios to guide us back out when we left. We had a great time and wouldn't trade our memories from that trip for anything. As said, it all depends.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No matter where you are going you need to call ahead and check for proper fit.Many of the State and National Parks are upgrading..but some of these Montana and truck combo's are....lonnnnng.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Ok great thanks for all the replies. I think we are gonna start making phone calls. Give me something to do sitting in motel rooms on my overnights. Do the publications like Woodalls contain any info?

Mike
Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am currently attending another Life on Wheels conference and one of today's classes was on state and federal parks. The size limitation they state means that all sites will accept the stated length. They often have some that will accept a larger rig, but all are guaranteed to accept the stated length. However, the suggestion was to call if you can, but don't be afraid to pull in with a larger rig. This was from a 15 year instructor. I'm not sure I could do that but he says you can always find a larger space.............
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, if you have a computer with you, you can usually find length restrictions on the websites for the state and federal park campgrounds. National Parks, too.

I haven't looked at Woodall's in awhile but Trailer Life often lists the restrictions. I don't think they have it for all of those parks, though. And to tell the truth I've found enough anomalies in their length restriction listings I don't rely on them.

Phil, good information. I was unaware of that. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #15
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
Thanks for the great responses. I think the best way to plan this trip is to just call and see what they say. There are plenty of private campgrounds to stay at. However, I'm more keen to the parks. We just don't need many of the extras. Although some can be real nice at times.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 AM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike -
Another source is as you go into a state, get their campground guides. I know Colorado does a nice job with their state parks and listing lengths. And the national forest offices also have info on their specific forests if you're going to boondock or use their rustic campgrounds. These are a great deal. Usually you will pay about $10 at a rustic site for the priveledge of a fire ring, gravel site and pit toilet. If you want to boondock, you can pull offroad in most forests/grasslands (subject to regulations) and camp for free. We've found some very nice free campsites out west. Not as easy in the midwest. Plus, in the summertime it gets pretty cool at night in the mountains making the need for A/C a non-issue.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote