Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
What to leave in Monty when home

I guess it all depends on how much you travel and for how long, but was curious to know what do you have duplicates of and what do you bring back and forth from house to Monty? Do you leave electricity on in trailer and keep refrigerator going with such things as ketchup, mayo, mustard relish etc.? Do you have 2 sets of clothes, underwear and pj's. Towel, washclothes, dishtowels etc.? We have doubles on many things, but there is always a running list of things to bring with us. When we come home and do laundry many items go back in Monty. We don't go for really long periods, but plan to in the near future.

Nita

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:08 AM   #2
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Sorry can't resist......Everything....it is home!
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We have all the kitchen dishes, pots, pans, silver ware, some canned foods, bed linen, blankets, bath towels,wash cloths, toiletries, bbq, and tools stocked in our Montana. We also keep the water tank and propane tanks filled in case we need to use the Montana during long periods of power outages in the stick house. The refridgerator is empty and we remove our clothes when we get back from a trip. We do keep the electric hooked up while we have it parked at home.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Same as Tom and Gina. I have everything duplicated because you just never know. I kind of take after my Mom that way. She was always a planner. She keeps her motorhome fully stocked because of earthquakes in Ca. I have always done the same thing. Now that we live in Montana it is because of the power outages. It is like a little apartment ready to move into. I also keep the power on at all times. I don't know why but I just do. That way when we get ready to take off there isn't that much stress about getting ready or forgetting something, and if I need to I can always borrow from there.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We, too have double of everything! As Kathi said "You just never know" We are constantly says Where shall we go? or Let's go! Oh camping is so much FUN!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
We too have duplicates of almost everything, and like Kathi, sometimes " borrow " from the Montana. We try not to make a habit of it and replace the borrowed item as soon as possible. You never know when the urge to escape the stick house may strike, and we like to be ready. I keep the power hooked up, and the furnace set at 45, so if I have to go to the doghouse , it doesn't take long to warm up. The water lines are full of pink juice, and the tanks are all empty, but this can be remedied in short order.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Like Kathi, we are duplicated on almost everything. We do borrow from time to time but I have a stock list we go over before taking off. Since this is our 3rd RV we have stocked the RV through the years with everything that is needed. We don't always leave the frig on unless we run out of room in the stick house. Last time out we forgot mustard! Nothing is perfect. We don't leave food in the Monty if we aren't going out again soon because we worry about critters.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
During the months of use for us, we keep everything fully stocked other than consumables for the next outing. The elec. is hooked up, the fridge is on, a bag of cubes in the freezer. Sometimes even beer stocked in the aux. 12v cooler. Many times we don't get groceries until we get there.
The hard part is putting things back in after a trip such as clothes and especially food storage containers, etc. Those always manage to get put away in the stick house and if we don't catch it, we end up buying more.
Help! We're getting buried in food containers...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here duplicates of most everything including clothing..been doing that for years.When we pull out for a camping trip all we need to put on board are the perishables
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #10
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Like everybody else, duplicates of everything, except perishables. Seems we are better stocked for daily needs in our Tana, then the stickhouse. Keep telling the DW, we are going to have to a 4500 0r 5500 TV if we put anything else in the Tana. I believe by the end of next year we are going to be fulltiming at the rate we are gone.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have appliances, pots and pans, dishes, towels, sheets, some toiletries, etc. that stay in the Montana year round, and we keep her plugged in during the winter with a small space heater to keep the moisture out. During travel season we keep canned and packaged food in the pantry. The refrig usually isn't stocked; I just keep a list of things that are essential and see that they get in the Monty along with our clothes when we load for a trip.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also stocked my coach with its own set of everything. The only thing that comes out is the food, the rest of it stays in there during winter storage.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 AM   #13
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Since we're living in the rig for the next year, everything is there that will fit. Usually, we keep everthing we need in the rig except clothes and food. We used to have to store the rig in a storage yard, so that meant no electricity. In the new stick house we'll have a garage for the rig and will have full hook-ups inside. Even then I doubt we'll keep food in the fridge. Just doesn't take that long to get ready.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #14
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
What is in the RV is all we have, No stick house
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:39 AM   #15
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Everything that's not refreigerated or perishable except the DishNet receiver (which we use in the bedroom at home). We may pack those cold/perishable things light and go grocery shopping when we get there or we may take everything we need, depending on where we're going and for how long. We've decided to leave on the spur of the moment before and were actually on the road in less than 30 minutes (hookup and all). Of course a planned trip gets the fridge turned on a few days before departure.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Being fulltimers, everything we own is either in the rig or in the truck except for my bicycle and few tools in our shed on our leased RV lot.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We go for 6 to 7 months at a time. Then our Cambridge is Garaged and rarely used until the big trip comes again. That said we have almost duplicated anything hardware as well as bedding and the like. Clothes come out to be washed and dry cleaned until we are ready again. Also, dish reciever, computer, cameras and books come out. It takes us about three days tounload and store at the end of our tours and about a day to load ready to go. For those short trips in the winter we can be ready to go in a couple of hours. Unload is about the same.
Happy camping
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #18
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
The only thing I take from the house is a couple extra pairs of jeans. When I purchased my Monty I bought new everything for the trailer. Financially...it adds up really fast. However, I don't regret it when I just have to hook up and drive off. I also know from experience it can cost almost $4000 if you buy high end stuff for your home away from home. Do whats right for you. I also leave the unit plugged in to electric while home at the farm.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have two of everything. We take the food out most winters. We have clothing that stay in Monty. Also all dishes and kitchen tools stay in Monty. We could get our Monty ready for a trip in hours.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Our Monty is stocked with all of its own "stuff". Everything from the kitchen to the bedroom. This works good for us. During most of the year I leave it plugged in on a pad we have right next to the garage. Now it is in hibernation, battery out, winterized and most definitely no food products in it.

Last year we picked up one of those plug-in smart charger for the converter. After being powered up for 9 months the battery water levels were just fine. So they do maintain the battery pretty well.

Except for the winter here we maintain the Monty in a ready to go condition all the time.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote