Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 AM   #21
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
One thing to remember when choosing a SRW over a DRW is that you will have a few hundred extra pounds of capacity to use however you want.

I like my DRW because it has yet to feel like it's bullied by a passing 18-wheeler. It could be all in my head, for all I know, though. Because, when sitting still, having even a car go by, I can feel the truck moving in the breeze. Just never felt a thing while pulling on the highway.

Plus, somewhere in the back of my head is the idea that should a tire in the back blow, I don't think I'll be scrambling to regain control.

Now, (at the risk of tempting fate,) I'm just wondering how many thousands of miles I'm going to have to pull that extra dually weight, waiting to see if my concern is valid.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:36 AM   #22
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Well I gotta tell you I would rather be in a dually but with the $10000.00 off this truck with 4500 in rebates and 5000 in discounts on this 06 leftover I figured I'd try it out and if I ain't in love with this I'll trade er' for a loaded dually in a few years.
I do feel like I walked out on a nice girlfriend but I was going to have to do a complete brake job on the dually [1500.00 and tires $800.00] so I just figured I'd trade in instead and just get a 3 year newer truck. the dually would have been 100.00 a month more cause of less rebates.

I like liveing on the edge

ps. I was going in for the 4th time on a "pully chirp"when cold- on the dually, and that had me PO'ed. I had 33k on it and needed 4th belt.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #23
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

One thing to remember when choosing a SRW over a DRW is that you will have a few hundred extra pounds of capacity to use however you want.

I like my DRW because it has yet to feel like it's bullied by a passing 18-wheeler. It could be all in my head, for all I know, though. Because, when sitting still, having even a car go by, I can feel the truck moving in the breeze. Just never felt a thing while pulling on the highway.

Plus, somewhere in the back of my head is the idea that should a tire in the back blow, I don't think I'll be scrambling to regain control.

Now, (at the risk of tempting fate,) I'm just wondering how many thousands of miles I'm going to have to pull that extra dually weight, waiting to see if my concern is valid.

Steve
From expericene you will not lose control if a back tire blows and it is the only tire on that side. It is too heavy with pin back there. Jst want to say this to clear things up.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
RVGhostRider, sounds like a story to elaborate on...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #25
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

Steve
And you won't feel bullied in a SRW either. The "moving in the breeze" when sitting still is normal but I have never experienced any movement at all when being passed on the Interstate by an eighteen wheeler.

Never had a blow-out happen but I feel the sudden weight on the good remaining dually could be pretty much the same effect as having a blow-out with an SWR. I realize the tire is rated to carry the weight but being part of a pair it isn't inflated enough to carry the weight.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:49 AM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

And you won't feel bullied in a SRW either. The "moving in the breeze" when sitting still is normal but I have never experienced any movement at all when being passed on the Interstate by an eighteen wheeler...
Aren't you a Type A, Glenn??? How would you EVER let any 18 wheeler pass you - towing, or not towing???

I know it will happen to me eventually... just have to practice relaxation breathing... Just have to remember - they are "God's children", too. My pastor would be so proud. Now if I can only DO that...

*On Edit~ Question: "How many men (women don't do this) won't pull off at a rest area to use the bathroom, until they ABSOLUTELY have to, because it bugs them too much that the people they just passed will now be in front of them?"

*On 2nd Edit~ Husbands, don't your wife read this. I can hear it now: "Ah HAH!!! So that's why..."
Old 06-17-2006, 05:00 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mpl987, congratulations on the new truck! That is a good choice and should serve you well for a long time. Your deal sounds terrific!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #28
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:

And you won't feel bullied in a SRW either. The "moving in the breeze" when sitting still is normal but I have never experienced any movement at all when being passed on the Interstate by an eighteen wheeler...
Aren't you a Type A, Glenn??? How would you EVER let any 18 wheeler pass you - towing, or not towing???

I have learned to relax and enjoy the road and SAVE THE FUEL!!
I have found the best fuel mileage is at approx 62 to 64 MPH. Even if the hiway is posted 70 you'll find me prodding along at a nice and easy 64. Most everyone passes me not just the biggies. Now if the speed limit is 55 or 60 you'll usually find me pushing 62 or 63.
Years ago I would always ride with the big boys. If they ran 85 I was right behind them. If they slowed I slowed. It's surprising how well they know where Smokie is taking pictures. I have the CB turned on and yet I didn't hear any warning but the big guy up front knew. The first trip south I made with Monty behind me I was pushing 85 MPH with 2- 18 wheelers as my forward observers. We were heading south on I81 thru most of Virginia and into Tennessee. They decided to take I26 and abandoned me. Had to back it down to 70 and felt like I was crawling. Today 70 MPH for me is unheard of. Lorraine is also more relaxed at 64 rather than 85

I know it will happen to me eventually... just have to practice relaxation breathing... Just have to remember - they are "God's children", too. My pastor would be so proud. Now if I can only DO that...

*On Edit~ Question: "How many men (women don't do this) won't pull off at a rest area to use the bathroom, until they ABSOLUTELY have to, because it bugs them too much that the people they just passed will now be in front of them?"

When ya gotta go ya gotta go and as I explained above most everyone has already passed me. Now I'm givin the next group a free pass until I get back out there.

*On 2nd Edit~ Husbands, don't your wife read this. I can hear it now: "Ah HAH!!! So that's why..."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, Glenn, the "fuel mileage" calmed me down... That would be the key motivation for me.

I have a 2002 GMC set up like yours, only LB. Would that be my optimal speed range, too?
Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #30
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Aw, shucks. Let me live out some of my continuing delusions, huh?

When I first looked at the initial 2002 dually we left Alaska in, I was thinking it’d have plenty of traction for the out-of-the-way places we had been used to camping in in tents, and a pop-up trailer.

At least BEFORE I bought the dually I was informed about the fact that duallies actually end up with less traction that SRWs…Especially on icy surfaces like the ones we dealt with in Fairbanks.

I even learned that the added weight of the DRW and the 4WD would detract from the weight of a trailer I could expect to tow, if I followed the book’s figures.

But I was left with the belief that a dually afforded a tad more “stability” on the road. Everyone who owned a dually said so. And what dually driver listens to SRW types, anyway?

As it happens, all the while I’m on the road, no matter whether I’m passing a road barn, or one’s passing me, I never feel a thing. Now that I know, if the breeze from a passing vehicle causes any rig to move a bit while I'm stopped, I guess I won’t feel odd about it.

As for a blow-out? I buy insurance to keep my mind at ease about debt, in case of problems. I try to stay at the weights that are listed in manufacturer’s documents to ease my mind in case of a pending warranty issue, or even a legal issue if I’m involved in an accident. (We know the laws don’t matter a whole lot when lawyers are involved and a litigant walks into court sporting a neck brace, or riding in a wheel chair…Even if he’s just been downhill skiing, and doing exotic dancing as a night job.)

I just feel, (and with all my tires inflated to proper high “towing pressure,”) that should one blow, there is hardly a chance I’m going to feel it. (I had driven with my 2002 dually for a while with a deflated inside tire, and never knew it…Even though I wasn’t towing at the time.) I tend to have a lead foot, and push the limits on the road. IMHO, and for my own mental well-being, a blow-out, even without towing, can cause some discontinuity/disturbance in handling. I make sure my tires are inflated properly, and then replaced when it's called for, too.

It’s all “insurance” to me.

Thanks, though. Experience doesn’t hurt to hear from. Anyone have a blow-out in BOTH a SRW and a DRW for comparison? Maybe after I have a blow-out in this rig, I’ll feel differently.

Steve

P.S.

Dave,

EXACTLY!

I even hope that our Canine-American children can hold it a while longer so I don’t have to look forward to playing leap-frog with the same vehicles, over and over!

I can cope with cars running at the speed limit. It's the ones that can't maintain a set speed of any sort that cause me to pass as soon as I can. If I've been past a bunch of those folks, my bladder tends to grow in capacity a lot!

S.
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:40 AM   #31
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Having owned both the dual and single rears over the years, I have arrived at a number of personal conclusions.

(1) If the TV is exclusively that, DRWs are the way to go most of the time. Snow/ICE traction is compromised as compared to SRW when DRWs are unloaded (not enough weight is in the bed). So, if you plan to use the TV empty often in bad weather, this is a major down side. Parking another obvious downside. However, as I said, if mainly a TV, these downsides are not really a concern.

(2) Upside for DRW is stability. Left/Right balance is generally better due to the larger width. Also, when potholes are experienced, is can be a bit easier to navigate and cruise through without falling in due to the wide track. Of course, Frost Heaves (upward bumps) have the opposite effect and the SRWs can navigate these better. DRWs are at an advantage when the wieght being carried has a high center of gravity. With the 5th wheel relatively low (say as compared to a small dump bed or stake body loaded with hay), this is not a huge concern.

(3) Upside for SRW, easier to park/drive when not towing. Can get short bed which helps reduce overall truck length in extended/crew cabs (although, I think Dodge MegaCab just changed this rule by offering DRWs in a short bed). Newer SRWs vs. DRWs offer weight ratings well within the range of all Monty's, so this is not as big an issue as it was 10 years ago.

Personally, I have chosen SRW Short Crew configuration this time around. Crew Cab was required for comfortable family transport. The extra 18" length for the Long Bed/DRWs (the new Dodge which was not yet available) was a major downside for us. Although the TV is used to tow 70-80% of the time, the length issue was still a concern. Traction during the North East winter months, was the other downside for me.

Tim

tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #32
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
"tcorbitt...Can get short bed which helps reduce overall truck length in extended/crew cabs (although, I think Dodge MegaCab just changed this rule by offering DRWs in a short bed)."

Might be true with Ford, but GM's one tons are all long beds, no sb option. So when you add the extra weight of the truck and no sb option, you only get about 350 lbs more capacity in a GM one ton srw.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:26 AM   #33
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Glenn: I think a big reason for there seemingly being more GMCs than Chevys is perceived styling. It definitely was for me and a friend of mine too. We're both dyed in the wool BowTie fans, but opted for the Jimmy because of front-end looks. There are no mechanical diferences between the trucks that should account for anything like the 2" height difference mentioned, other than if they were optioned differently.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:

My response is almost identical to Glenn's. I most often run 62 to 64 and get my best mileage at that speed. When fuel prices went up I slowed down. Wallet impact is what I call it.

For every 100 miles traveled (at a constant speed), 70 mph will get you there 8 minutes faster than will 64 mph. Looking at it in that perspective it is easy for me to slow down and save some cash in trade for that 8 minutes. (100/64)-(100/70)*60

I also have never in many thousands of miles felt any movement in my single rear wheel tow vehicles from passing semi's or any vehicle. To me the only valid reason to go dually is to get the additional payload for a heavy pinweight. Realize I said "to me", meaning in my opinion. I realize others feel differently and they are entitled to do so.

Dsprik, once I slowed down I also relaxed a lot more. That means I'm more comfortable with stopping more often, which, unfortunately, is something my body requires more of as I age. We like to get out and relax a bit, stretch, walk up and down the rest area, etc. We probably stop more often than most.

Cat320, unfortunately the Megacab has an ultra short bed, considerably shorter than the GM and Ford shortbeds and the other Dodge shortbeds. I suppose it could be used to tow a Montana but there has been lots of questions about suitability for towing fifthwheels. If I had a megacab I definitely would have the automatic superglide slider. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with experience towing a fifthwheel with the new megacab.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, I did slow down once, a few months ago. 55 everywhere in my Park Ave (did you know the "cut-off" switch triggers at 110 mph on that thing, and that's only at 3200 rpm on the tach??? What a waste. 5500 is red line ).

You are correct - it was relaxing. I got used to it then I knda got away from it and drifted back to my "legal 9 over". Now that I have a diesel, and I am aware that 62-64 is indeed an optimal speed, I will again change my approach from my "competitive speed" mode of thinking...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have to admit when we left Denver headed for Kansas City last Monday we were on I-70 and I was running 68 to 70 all the way. We were getting close to seeing the kids and grandkids after almost six months.... Plus we were pushing headwinds and quartering headwinds of 20 to 35 mph most of the way and our fuel mileage was already sucking big time so.... Plus we were wanting to get through KC to the east side ahead of rush hour. Lots of excuses but normally I do run 62 to 64. This time I didn't.