Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #21
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I might qualify that statement to read 7.3 L Powerstroke/TorqShift for Ford. I believe Ford erred when they "upgraded" from the 7.3 to the 6.0. I think many are happy with their 6.0, but I think that if you take a poll of Ford owners who have had BOTH the 7.3 and the newer 6.0, they will tell you that they wish Ford wouldn't have done that... JMHO.
The big reason Ford went from the 7.3 to the 6.0 - 6.3 whatever numbers they are was due to EPA requirements the 7.3 could not meet them so Ford did the 6.0-6.3 whatever numbers are.
Information supplied by my Ford Service Supervisor.

TT2

Old 06-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dave,

I was just this afternoon looking at some of the Ford Diesel forums. Way back to when the 6.0 was still promised for delivery.

All sorts of “spy stuff” being bounced around among enthusiasts.

There was talk of the upcoming one in more recent threads, but I didn’t pay much attention. One said, “6.4L Twin Turbo.”

We shall see.

But I’ll hang with this 6.0. So far, so good!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wow, Cool! 800 ft lbs of torque (stock) on the way???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:41 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

Your Torque shift transmission is a good tranny, but one article doesn't diminish the quality of an Allison Transmission!
Bob, I apparently need to apologize to you. My intent was not to denigrate the Allison but to point out that the TorqShift has also proven to be an excellent transmission. Allison has the reputation for quality and reliability. I would no way have any problem with having an Allison transmission. But sometimes we seem to think that if it is not an Allison then it must not be nearly as good. I was simply pointing out that we Ford owners know that's not true and that one magazine article substantiates that in my mind. No doubt we could find other articles saying the Allison is best. My point is simply that the TorqShift is proving to be an outstanding transmission also. Sorry if I gave a different impression.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #25
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I found the perfect tow vehicle. It has 12 cylinders arranged in a "V" pattern, 650 horsepower, 800 foot pounds of torque and twin turbos, TDI fuel injection, max rpm is 550, lots and lots of horsepower, AND IT IS A DIESEL!!!!!
It's the AUDI R-10 and it is the only LP! car ever powered by a diesel to win the 24 hours of LeMans. It and it's team mate wond 1st and 3rd, Today.
Only problem is there are only tgwo of them and they are valued in the millions. Enjoy!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So... that's not likely to be listed as an option on our next tv???

*On Edit~ Rick, who makes the trans for that engine?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:39 AM   #27
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dave, don't know who makes the tranny for the audi v-12, but they pulled it and did a omplete hcchange in a little over 10 minutes and still took first place. They are using Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel, as is all of Europe now. T€he car is totally awesome and will trn=anslate to the street as far as engine technology, etc goes in the very near future.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #28
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
RE; Why Mercedes, VW, and other Euro diesels... that are quiet...
I think there are two reasons. (1) The heavier truck diesels have much larger engines with more power which is the major reason they are louder than the VWs and Benz. (2) I think the marketing people think we want them loud. I can remember my earlier GMC 6.6 TD (1984) was very quiet comparied to my 2001 Duramax or current 06 Powerstroke. The later two have virtually no sound insulation under the hood. Pop the hood an a Benz E300TD; the engine compartment is virtually air tight. Most people don't even know my daily driver (Benz E300TD) is diesel it's so quiet. But, I assure you, the Benz is not going to pull the Monty or any other trailer weighing more the say 3K. Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #29
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Back when I was a 03 6.0 L ford owner job1. Before Ford shut up the people that worked there from commenting in forum. One of the members was one of fords engineers for the torgueshift development. And he stated that thought ford builds the torque shift they had Allison develop it. the design and component made to fiT fords trans cases. And this was bore out in article in Blue Oval News. So it is really a non issue as to which is best. more a issue of the person putting them together that day.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:36 AM   #30
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I owned 3 PSDs over an 11 year period and the main reason the PSDs are noisier than some of the ealier diesel engines is because of direct injection. DI diesels have more power but also are noisier. The earlier indirect injection styles ( IDI ) had a pre ignition chamber that made the engine quieter.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gyro, my understanding is the 6.4 twin turbo is a done deal for 2007 or possibly later in the year. I'm hearing the 6.0 doesn't meet the new govt standards and will be replaced by the 6.4.

As for noise, our 2003 was initially pretty quiet. It had the pilot injection that quieted things down. Ford decided the pilot injection was causing some of the early problems and when they reflashed computers they shut that off. Our 2003 became quite a bit noisier as a result. The 2005 is just as noisy outside. I think both the GM's and the newest Cummins are quieter with the new Cummins being the quietest, from what I've heard from them.

In Moab we were next to a guy who is a retired Ford engineer who worked on design for the cooling systems for the 6.0. He has a 6.0 and had no concerns. I have to share his feelings. At the rate we're racking up the miles I'll probably consider trading in a couple of years, though. 57k miles and the truck will be 20 months old tomorrow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:59 AM   #32
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

Well, I'll be watching that upcoming engine. If I can pull like I do with this 6.0, I can imagine that new one will be a killer! (Probably add lots to the cost of the truck, too, of course.) But I'm one who doesn't mind paying for what I get.

I thought the 6.0's were cool, per gummint specs, though. That's a surprise. I hadn't been paying attention. Plus, I figured LSD would quell any problems that were still around. Go figure....

I'm closing in on 40K after about 19 months with this 2005. I suspect we'll be ready to upgrade around that time, too!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote