Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Security

OK, here's the deal. I spring for the big bucks and get one of these fancy tri-pod stabilizer for the king pin. You know the 3 legged kind that you screw up on the king pin. Well it comes with a lock ?????? And I question that as the lock seem so small and inadequate that you could cut the lock shaft with a pair of wire cutters. I mean this is a pretty small shaft. AH Ha - I put the ole mind in gear and remember a long shank shaft master lock that I had in the tool box. Oh I feel so good but guess what... it will not work in the two holes provided. So are you ready for this ....the big question is I know that some of you have the same set up so what's the answer?????
As Howe Mandell would say - "DEAL OR NO DEAL?"

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I know the lock of which you speak and if I looked hard enuff I could probably find mine tucked away in a dark corner somewhere. And YES it does appear to be on the cheap side but to me the point is moot as I don't use that lock or any other lock on my tripod. Most of the time my bikes are locked, with a Master lock, to the tripods chain so if they want the tripod they'll have to deal with the bikes as well.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes that lock is a joke and I have many different kinds of locks around the house and none of them fit,,I think it is a evil plot..Glen's idea is a good one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #4
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
I think I may have the same stabilizer you have and also thought the lock that it came with was a joke. I was able to find a master lock (Home Depot) that had the right "bend" and shaft length to fit in the "factory" holes. It was a tight fit but it worked so you might look around. Not sure even with the better lock it would actually stop someone who really wanted it from getting it.
JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I guess the objective is to make stealing your rig more work than stealing the neighbor's, so most anything used is more of a deterrent than a solution. Sort of like "The Club" in cars.

I guess if I had my rig stored somwhere, I would probably have a lock of some sort on the kingpin...but, day-to-day, while "camping", we haven't seen the need to do so. Also has to do with the surroundings, the "feel" of the CG, and the length of time of planned absense. I think breaking-in and pilfering is a much more likely hazard than having the rig stolen. A real thief needs a plan and equipment to haul the rig away. Some junkie just needs an opportunity to do his deed.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the very lock you are talking about on my tripod. I know it will not keep someone from taking it if the want it. More of just visual appeal only. Same goes for the basement storage doors, those locks are not going to keep anyone out of there, more of just to keep honest folks honest.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Yeah me thinks maybe me worry too much. I don't have to store my Monty it is sitting right beside the house here. And when you go camping I would think unless people were watching you, how would they know when you were coming back - and they would need the equipment to hook up to it.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would really hate to lose our entire camper and everything in it.What a inconvenience. However we are completly insured for replacement value and we have a digital record of everything on board including the wifes 250K diamond necklace that I bought her because I didn't have anything else to do.So if someone stole our camper say every two years or so..We are covered.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Rich,

Does it feel good to say "06 3400RL" in your signature?

As Austin Powers says, Yah Baby!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickfox

Rich,

Does it feel good to say "06 3400RL" in your signature?

As Austin Powers says, Yah Baby!
It was a long time in coming and it is good to see it finally in the driveway.For Helen it can't get any better, New truck, New camper, retirement. It is good to have a happy wife.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Rich... New truck, new camper, retirement, 250K diamond necklace.
If Helen isn't happy, let me know.
I could be happy.....

Seriously though.... congratulations on being the proud owner of a brand new 5th wheel.
I see nothing but great times ahead for you both.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
About the only time I kinda wished I had a kingpin lock was when we dropped the Montana in a parking lot so we could tour Capitol Reef National Park. I briefly worried about someone stealing the rig. But only briefly.

I have one of those locks somewhere, too. If I recall, just one leg is supposed to go through the two holes close together on one side to make it a bit tougher to remove the stabilizer. I don't think the lock shank is supposed to go through all four holes. Maybe I'm misreading the problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
It does only go through two holes. I am sure a screw driver would be able to bend it enough to cause the lock to break. I have it there more for the visual effect. =)
Old 05-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #14
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
I don't get it fella's. If the trailer is sitting with pressure on the stabilizer, then how is someone going to steal the rig without getting into the cargo area to raise the front gear so the stabilizer can be removed. Before that you have to retract the rear stabilizers. If I were in an area that I thought my rig was in real danger of being taken, I think I would just go some place else. Just me?
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wacot,
My tripod has an adustable head that is raised or lowered by turing it. Also the legs of the tripod are adjustable, a person could take it if they wanted it.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #16
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
So, Rich...Where EXACTLY do you keep the rig parked?? LOL!!!

Best..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, if someone wants your rig, they will have your rig. As mentioned in a posting last year, locks are for honest people. This past weekend for the first time I had to crank up my landing jack - just got stuck. Anyone with the tool would open the propane compartment, jack it up and then pull out the tripod. Also, the locks on the basement doors are almost all keyed alike regardless of trailer brand. Rich, by now you $250k necklace is starting to get nervous. However, that's what insurance is for - things are replaceable, people aren't. Personally, I don't worry about it. If someone breaks in when I'm not there they must need the stuff more than me. If I'm there, Magnum will get them with his ten pound tongue being the killer labrador that he is.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I told Helen the necklace was 250K.She found out it was actually $2.50...I tried.We really don't keep anything of great value in the camper, as a matter of fact we have nothing of great value...but we do have pretty good insurance..Stuff is just stuff..
Old 05-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wacot, I can open that locker door with my 751 key or with a screwdriver in just a few seconds. So can you. I've opened mine with a screwdriver when the lock tab got messed up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote