Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Map display Protocol

After this post some may conclude I am too anal retentive. Anyway, I was wondering what protocol folks use for filling in states and provinces on the map. For instance, we started out in a tent trailer years ago. We have been through a motorhome, a travel trailer, a montana 3295 and now camp in a Cambridge. Especially since the motorhome, we have traveled to a variety of places but different as we migrated up to the Cambridge. So, I was wondering wich set of states is it proper to fill in. Or is this a who cares deal?
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dave, everyone fills in what they want but for us, we cose to start all over with the Montana when we went full time. We only fill in a state after we have slept in it. This is what works for us.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
sounds like a good idea to me. "Any where you have slept in a Montana."
Now is that what it means?
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well those little maps are a nice custom but we do not bother with it.We know where we have been and still have retained enough memory cells to recall without having to look at a colored in map.We have a lot of Pictures, Movies, Etc..maybe some day we will get one of those maps and fill it in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We also use the map just to show what states we've spent at least one night in. I think the maps are more for showing others than they are for your own edification.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ditto what Orv said "We also use the map just to show what states we've spent at least one night in. I think the maps are more for showing others than they are for your own edification."

But I haven't taken the time to add one to my signature.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are going to fill out as we stay one night in our Montana. I know some are filling in their full camping experiences with any type of camper. Maybe two (four if Canada) maps: "Montana Camping" and "All Camping". Put side by side, they don't take up that much space...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Now I know why I needed those maps, so I can remember where we've been in our Montana. Our criteria is that if the Montana has been in that state, she's earned a colored state. We don't care if we've slept there or not. They connect better this way 'cause you can drive through the states and connect them.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Maybe if people just did what they wanted for a format, BUT... LABEL what they stand for...

Something like, "States/Provinces visited with third wife", "States/Provinces I was attacked by Stupid Bird", etc...

At least we'd know...
Old 01-30-2006, 02:49 AM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
This is another of those situations where you do what is appropriate for you. Personally, if I was going to do it, I would do it on if I had spent a night in the state no matter the unit. That said, I have spent the night in an RV in nearly 40 states in my life and Marsha in only three, so I figure why bother.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:54 AM   #11
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
At my age I need to use the states that all my trailers have been in. Might not make many more.
Now if your full timing that will make a difference.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 AM   #12
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Well those little maps are a nice custom but we do not bother with it.We know where we have been and still have retained enough memory cells to recall without having to look at a colored in map.We have a lot of Pictures, Movies, Etc..maybe some day we will get one of those maps and fill it in.
Well those little maps are not for anyone who does not want to bother with it. If you get a Montana someday and start traveling around the country you might change your mind. It is to show others like someone else said.

It is kind of like showing your picture of you and your lady. I know what I look like so I don't bother with it.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:57 AM   #13
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I don't have the map thing on my signature, but Steve does and he fills-in a state when we've spent the night there. Like so very many things with the Montana, this is a personal choice thing ... have the map or don't, fill it in the way you want to! This is all supposed to be for fun, isn't it?
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:16 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
It is fun. We had traveled so much in Calif. we decided to do a county map of the state to see if we had been in every county - we had all but two. States are the same way, you want to see what you are missing. Although not in an RV I have been in all but 10 states so I want to go to them. I may not make Hawaii but I'll make the rest.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:39 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
those maps are confusing because there are no rules,,I see maps that have Ohio colored and Kansas colored and nothing in between..so how did you get there..fly?? I would say that if you towed through the State you were there. I think we have hit every State East of the mississippi at least towing through it????
Old 01-30-2006, 05:44 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich
There doesn't have to be a rule for everything in life.
Happy trails.......................
Old 02-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Treat these maps kinda like golf - There "could" be a lot of rules and you "could" obey them all - it is really up to each of us. BTW - I agree with the last post - Why do we need rules for everything?
We have holes in our states too - just drove through them and did not overnight so we don't "claim" them.

houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Without rules chaos reins ..Don't know who said that it just came to mind. Guess I should have said guidelines. Guess I will take a mulligan. It is a little thing..makes no difference.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Label them anyway, so people know what rule you aren't following...
Old 02-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I'm sorry to say this but I find it hard to believe these little neat maps that are personal are so important to some that there must be rules or guidelines. I have had the week from hell. My 88 year old Mother had a heart attack the first of the week and she is in a skilled nursing facility now very weak. At the same time we were preparing for my granddaughter's wedding which meant family coming, company, tears and joy. Let each one do the map the way they want.
Happy trails...........................