Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Exhaust system upgrade

Thinking about getting the '99 Dodge Diesel a new 4 inch exhaust system. Pros and cons welcomed. Cost is around $700-800, parts and labor. Benefit is lower EGTs. I am EGT limited on some steep grades. I won't go above 1100 degrees, and 1100 only for a short time. Had to drop into second a couple of times to keep it at 1000-1050 degrees continuous temp.

Opinions appreciated..thanks

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 AM   #2
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Did both the intake and exhust. I found that it really does help with EFT. A little more noise but ya a healthy noise.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:56 AM   #3
Champ203
Established Member

M.O.C. #4767
PJ,

Its nice to see other "older" dodges on the forum. My 99 (really a 98.5 24V) has started a new life pulling our new 5er (up until last month we pulled a 30ft TT). Truck had always been stock (222K miles). I have been a long time member of Turbo Diesel Register http://turbodieselregister.com/ and have followed many folks with upgraded trucks.

So here is what I did last month - BD exhaust brake, BD Torqloc (keeps Torque Converter locked when braking, plus I can manually lock it up in 3rd and 4th (OD)), PressureLoc (increases transmission line pressures), Edge Comp.

I have not run the Edge above level 3 to try and preserve my transmission and torque converter which are still the original ones. I am planning on upgrading the exhaust soon, but I have decided to leave the intake alone as there seems to be a lot of agreement that the stock box does a great job until you exceed 450 HP!!

I run pyro, fuel pressure and trans temp guages, I've already replaced the VP44 Injection Pump (177K). My questions for you are:

1) How many miles do you have on your truck?
2) Do you run guages, specifically a boost guage and where would be a place I could put one (already my 3 pod pilar mount is full)?
3) How do you like your BD Transmission and I'll assume Torque Converter as well?
4) Are you still using the standard lift pump set-up or have you done something else?

The bigger exhaust will drop your EGT by a couple of hundred degrees if you go turbo back and eliminate the restrictions is what I've been told.....
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Don: Re your questions....

1) How many miles do you have on your truck? About 130K

2) Do you run gages, specifically a boost Gage and where would be a place I could put one (already my 3 pod pilar mount is full)? All the "usual" three (EGT, Boost, Tranny oil temp)gages, on a pillar mount. Hadn't considered a fuel pressure guage...

3) How do you like your BD Transmission and I'll assume Torque Converter as well?

Like the BD tranny a lot. Make sure you get the 3 year warranty they offer. The "upgrade" they require to get that is only an additional filter. I can keep tranny lock on a downgrade into second gear. All stuff the the BD Torque converter does on yours operates through the PAC Exhaust brake system on mine. Have to engage the PAC exhaust brake in order to get the tranny to lock, in either third or OD...it stays locked all the way down into second as well, but if it drops from second into first, I have to speed back up to get back into third to get lockup again. Only happened once or twice on downgrades, because I got trapped behind some 18 wheeler in the right lane. I've gone down the Grapevine (S. Calif) twice with it, never touched the brakes....

4) Are you still using the standard lift pump set-up or have you done something else? Standard lift pump, however, I had to have the original replaced this past Spring while on the road. Spent a couple of unplanned days in W. Va, near Beckley. Good service, and no gouging on the price(s).

I have a simple Edge box...no controls, runs at a preset level. I'll ask my diesel guy what level it is running....whatever it is, I really don't need more, esp if I can get the EGTs down a hundred or so degrees.

I did replace the 3.55 rear end with a 3.73. In retrospect, might have been better to go with the 4.10. Both were available. While towing my 14K rig, I "cruise" at around 1900 RPM at 65 mph.. Try to keep it at or below 65, just for safety reasons. OD while on level terrain, 3rd while in hilly or mountains. ~12 - 12.5 mpg going East, around 10.5 - 11 going West, into the prevailing winds.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I added 4" exhaust and an air box to my 99 Ford PSD after installing a performance chip and guages. I also was fighting EGT and the addition of the intake and exhaust has given me a greater range. I rarely have to shift down due to EGT. I have my pyrometer before the turbo and don't exceed 1250 degrees. Have had no problems at all
thook is offline   Reply With Quote