Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I always try to keep my camper under 106 MPH.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #22
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Dennis,
I have been running the G614 on my 6 lug rims for a couple of years now, and for my last camper for 5 years. No problems at all except a couple of leaking valve stems. I run mine at 90 psi. According to the GY loading chart this is well within specs.

If your rim is like mine, it has a maximum load rating, but not a max pressure rating stamped on the rim. I was concerned about the pressure rating of the rim at first, because every rim I've ever seen that is rated at 3580 lbs is rated at 80 psi. But, after checking with two reliable tire shops, and a GY rep, none of them were concerned about it and and all said they had never seen a rim come apart due to excessive pressure (in RV service). In fact they all felt it could take the full 110 psi if it were not overloaded.

As far as underinflation, I think the 20% is from the lowest loaded value, not the max pressure. If it were calculated from the max pressure, that would put the underinflation pressure squarely in the middle of the load chart. I have not seen any edge wear problems with mine.

I ran the tires at 100psi for awhile, but I can tell a difference in the "ride" of the camper. No, I'm not riding in the camper, but I can tell more things are banged around. So, I lowered it to 90 psi and get a good smooth "ride".

I bought the G614s before I was aware of the Sailuns because, like you, I wanted a reliable tire. It looks like the Sailuns have a pretty good track record based on others on this forum. Next time I buy, I 'll probably consider those also, depending on price.

One bit of advice - get high pressure valve stems installed, and use the metal ones.

I have approx 20K - 25K miles on G614s running them at 90 psi without problems.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote