Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
rehorner
Established Member

M.O.C. #2287
Send a message via AIM to rehorner
GMC fuel filler neck

Hello All,

I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison. When I'm towing on an interstate (around here, mostly the Massachusetts Turnpike) and pull into a service area, I usually go in the back to the truck area. My problem is refueling. The fuel pumps for the trucks seem to have a collar around the end of the pump nozzle that prevents insertion into my truck's filler neck.

There is usually a diesel pump out front by the gasoline pumps, but with the trailer, it's really difficult to maneuver around all the cars and there isn't enough space for my rig anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem or am I missing something? Am I not supposed to be using the fuel pumps for the trucks? Is this a Massachusetts thing? I asked my local GMC dealer if there is some sort of larger diameter fuel filler neck. They said "No", but also never heard of this problem.

Bob and Pam

rehorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have had the same problem, that you described, here in California. I think that the filler nozzels for the diesel trucks are larger so they can deliver the large amounts of fuel faster for the big trucks. I have pulled into some truck stops that have special lanes for pickup and motor homes, they have the smaller nozzels in thoes lanes. If I do not see a special lane I go around and just take up the entire lane at the regular gas pumps for cars and trucks.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We normally fill at Flying J and use the RV lane. Some of the others have the diesel on the outside pumps and we use them. I don't use the truck pumps because of the larger nozzel.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You can use the larger nozzle at the truck pumps but you have to be careful and pump at a slow rate.
The larger nozzles are designed to give much greater flows to fill the big rigs with their 100 plus gallon tanks in a short time period. I was told that the smaller tanks on the pickups would fill to fast allowing for a greater frequency of spills.
I also heard that the new Chevys and GMCs are now coming thru with the larger opening on the fill tube. Anyone have one of the newer GMs??
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Just one more reason to buy a Dodge.....
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
If you use the large nozzles on the big truck pumps, keep in mind there is a possibility of damaging the sending unit float assembly in the tank if you cock the nozzle wide open. Ditto Gruffy on the Dodge - it is nice to be able to choose which pump to use. I always use the truck pumps when ever I have a choice and there are several vacant. It is usually much easier to enter/exit, and I do like the faster fueling rate.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I use the big truck pumps if i have too, if you are careful and don't get in a big hurry they work ok. I will continue to use the big pumps instead of trading for a Dodge. This is just a minor problem... Don't need any major ones.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
rehorner
Established Member

M.O.C. #2287
Send a message via AIM to rehorner
Thank you all for the useful information (except maybe for the one about trading down to a Dodge!). I think I'll keep a 5 gallon fuel can at the ready - I can always go and fill that at the regular diesel pump out front and schlep it over to where I'm parked to partially fill the tank.

Bob and Pam
rehorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Seems like the Dodge boys are getting picked on. Glad I got a Ram, don't like getting picked on.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
rehorner, I just hold the big nozzle barely in the fill hole on my truck and start the pump real slow and as I get the feel for how much flow I can handle, I then speed it up a little and keep it at that speed. So far I have only had minor splashes of fuel. I do keep my eye on the nozzle while I am fueling.

When I pull into a station and don't know the layout, I usually find a spot to park, then either I go find the regular pump or my wife does. If it's not handy we use the big one. When I stop I always fill up as I let my fuel get to a 1/4 tank before refueling. Good luck.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
The ford Super Duty's have a large filler neck so that you can use either pump. Lately, I feel like I need to go to the Auto Diesel Pumps. If it takes me 10 minutes to fill-up, then it seems more like I'm getting my money's worth when I have to give them $60.00 for a fill-up. These diesel prices are rediculous!!!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
What he is talking about is a ring at the tip of the nozzles at the truck island, I think this is to help keep the nozzle from jumping out of the tank and causing a spill. I noticed this mostly in Mass. but have seen it in other places. I can fill my Dodge but have a tough time getting the nozle out when I am done.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

Just one more reason to buy a Dodge.....
A good reason to buy a Ford.....
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:21 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Does this ring require a larger tank filler opening than the normal large diesel truck nozzles? Both my '03 and '05 Fords have the large opening. I can put the large nozzle in there and put it on the highest speed and never have a problem with spills. The most difficult part is the pain of watching those numbers spin around so fast, like someone tugging at my wallet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote