Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Where's the valves on duallys?

Wednesday I pulled into Belle Tire and asked if they could check my tire pressure for me. Of course they agreed as I was outside watching to make sure they did actually check it the guy tells me he has to pull it inside. I agree and still to make sure he does actually check them I follow him. He starts to put it up in the air on that thingy. I really thought this was weird, when I have my oil changed they of course were down in the hole and no need to raise it. Then he brings the truck down and proceeds to start taking off the hubs. I was like "what are you doing"?. Then he shows me that he can't get to the valves without taking off the wheels. The inside wheel is not accessable either. I of course told him to forget it as I was in a hurry.

Sorry for the long post, but is my Dodge like a freak? How do you other duallys check your tire pressure?

Oh, and get this. The guy tells me that there's no need to really check the pressure on the back tires because there so durable, they hardly never need air.

Was I blown off or what?

P.S. Were at a horse show in Ohio and my daughter kicked some butt today. She won 3 classes today against all professionals. And her green horse (not yet broke) was double clear in his jumper class. First time!!!! She has been working so hard.(sorry for the brag)

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Congratulations to your daughter!!!

Don't know about duallys but I think you can get valve extension put on so you don't have to remove the wheel. Not sure about it. Read it somewhere.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Congratulations to your daughter and to you for being so supportive and transportive (my new word -- for taking you kid where ever they want to go).

We had valve extended put on the tires and I believe that Bruce purchased a tire gauge with an long handle to check the pressure on the inside tires.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
You will need to get a dual wheel valve extension kit of some sort. Here is a link for a sample kit. http://www.realwheels.com/valveextensions.html
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Sue,
First; congratulations to your daughter.

Second; Regarding the dual rear wheels and the problem with the valve stems. I don't have a Dodge but on my Ford the stems on the outside wheels are "backward". That is they point toward the inside. The inside wheel stem points out but is hard to get to. A tire shop should have a pressure checker that is designed to get into these hard to reach spots. I have NEVER seen a place where they had to take the wheel off to check the pressure! Did you have your daughter with you? Could be he was trying to impress you and she with his vast knowledge of tiredom! Did they charge you for this process?

As several posters have indicated you can get valve stem extenders. If you do get these I'd suggest the solid type or at least the flexible steel type. They won't be as easily damaged as the rubber type. I use the flexible steel. The steel ones are a bit more expensive but certainly worth the extra security.

Since you do a lot of trailer hauling I'd suggest you even look into getting the automatic tire pressure system. There are several different types and they are not cheap but you tow some expensive animals around --- not to mention the precious human cargo! I can't remember the names of the various products but a Google search would turn them up in a heartbeat. On the Escapees Forum there is are a couple of good threads that discuss in detail the various products and their costs.

Good luck, HamRad.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
I also add congratulations to your daughter.

I agree with HamRad. The valve stems on my GMC were hard to get to
prior to adding the flexsteel extensions. Before the extensions, I
built a rig, out of a dual facing inflator, for my 12v compressor. It can be placed on both the stem facing inward and the one facing outward. There is no reason for anyone to remove the tires to check pressure or air them up.

travel safe
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
The only reason that they would have to take of the outer wheel is if the tire had been put on wrong at some time and the wheel holes didn't line up. Not sure if that applies to pickups. Never looked at mine to see if that is possible but I know on the big ones it is possible. Just an idea
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Yes this applies to pickups as well. If someone who previously worked on the wheels did not install them properly, ie: lineing up the inner and outer wheel holes. You will not be able to check the inner tires without removing the outers and aligning the wheels properly.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Sue,
Again, congrats to your daughter, that must have been a great day for her. Regarding the tire pressure issue, you'll see on my signature that we have a tire pressure monitor system. The transmitters replace the valve cap and you can get as many as 16 on the RV version. The monitor itself plugs in to a 12V outlet on the dash and can show you which tire is loosing air. It also can track you trailer tires. We got ours at www.rvcams.com. (Be careful, the website without the S in it is something altogether different!) The monitor with 8 transmitters was just over $500, each additional transmitter is about $50. We went to this system after having several blow-outs on our TT and not knowing it until another driver pointed it out. We felt it was well worth the investment.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
When we owned a one ton Dodge, I put valve extenders on it and it allowed easy access to inflate the inner dual wheel. However, I had several flat tires on the inner dually because of the flexing created from the valve extender on the rubber stem. I bought steel stems and put them on all the tires so that when the tires were rotated, the inner dually still had a steel stem. This corrected the problem of the inner dually going flat. If you purchase your tires from Costco, you get free tire rotation and tire repair. The problem I had with that was while they were tending to my truck, I was inside spending way too much money. It might be their evil plan!
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:29 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
If you cannot brag on your kids then who can you brag on. Great news tell her congrads from us all.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:11 AM   #12
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
I called the dealership this morning to see about valve extentions, they told me that they don't do that , so now should I go to an auto part store????

Also, someone mentioned here that they had problems with flats after putting them on. I have to do something because unless I get an oil change I can't get my tires checked because no one can get to the stems.

A little brag
Home from the horse show, my daughter was Champion on her one jumper "For Sure" and her other jumper "For Real" as I stated before was clean both rounds first time ever, not just his first day, but every class he went in except one. She fell off him in the one class, she was intending to go left and he went right, and boommmmm, down she went. She's okay now , then on her other horse "Fortunate", her hunter, she was 4 1/2 points away from Champion on him. All in all she won 7 classes.

I think we're ready for Florida
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's great, Sue! Keep us posted!
Sorry, can't help with the valve extensions but I have seen them in magazines so they are available.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote