Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
new vehicle

just bought a new 3650rk at 14160lbs dry. Would like some input on the truck I would need. I am currently looking at the new Ford 2005 f-350 supercab but don't know wether to go with single or dual rear axle. Please help

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:13 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
As you can see I have a GMC 2500HD. It pulls the 3670RL without any problems. Most of the Montana's weigh the same 14,100lbs. You are going to get a real mix of answers of this one. There are other threads on the same subject which you can access via the search.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 05:24 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Happy New Year and Welcome to the MOC Family.

I am partial to Chevy but I don't honestly feel that anyone of the big 3 is any better than the other. However I am not now nor will I ever be convinced that a DRW adds a significant amount of additional stability over a SRW. That and the fact that the extra width of a DRW makes parking a bit more difficult. With the crew cab the truck is already lengthy you really don't need that extra width. Plus it is a lot cheaper to replace 4 tires than it would be to replace 6.
I probably know as many folks that at time of trade in went from DRW to SRW as I do SRW to DRW. BUT I also know a few that went from SRW to DRW and back again to SRW.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, your 3670 does not weigh 14,160 dry. Based on the Montana brochure, that's the GVWR, which is the max the rig is rated to weigh with full tanks and all your gear, food, etc. If you look on an inside kitchen (usually) cabinet door you should find a sticker that shows UVW (unloaded vehicle weight). That is supposed to be the shipping weight from the factory (does not include propane bottles or battery). I think you'll find it's closer to 11,000 lbs. When loaded for a vacation it will likely be around 12,500 lbs. More if you're fulltiming or load it very heavily.

For example, our 3295RK has a GVWR more than the 3670 at 14,300. (Montana GVWR for 2004 range from 11,820 to 14,340 (non-Big Sky models) with UVW from 8,760 to 11,460). Our UVW per the sticker is 10,760. When weekending/vacationing it weighed, ready for a trip, at 12,500 +/- a couple hundred pounds. For fulltiming, last time we weighed it, it was at 13,980.

In any case, it's a good idea to buy the truck based on the max weight, which is the GVWR you quoted. I'm partial to Fords as the magazines show they are king of the hill but you have to understand that that does not mean other brands are no good. It simply means that at this point in time the Fords out tow everything else (talking acceleration, hill climbing, etc., with test trailers up to 15k, per hardcopy and online magazines). Give it another year and it might be one of the other brands. That's just the way it works. All three can do an excellent job for you. So, in your shoes, I would choose the brand based on my own personal preferences, then look to which engine/transmission/axle/cab/bed configuration meets my needs.

You are considering the new F350. You can get that truck with tow ratings to 19,200 lbs and GCWR (max for truck plus trailer weight) of up to 26,000 lbs (tow boss package with 4.30 axle), in the dually. In the single rear wheel F350 the max is 17,000 tow rating and 23,500 GCWR. In other words, either the dually or the single rear wheel will meet your needs.

I have never seen a need for a dually, for us, at least. If you also tow livestock trailers where there will be a sudden shift in weight, then a dually would be my choice. Otherwise, my personal opinion is that this comes down to personal preference. If you are more comfortable with a dually, go for it. If not, then don't. As an FYI, we are towing 13,980 lbs with a 2005 F250 with 6.0L PSD diesel, 3.73 axle, torqshift automatic, crew cab, shortbed. I have not towed with this rig yet (bought it after we got to our holiday "home") but will this next Tuesday. Previously we towed this 14k rig with an '03 F350 supercab shortbed with the same engine, transmission, and axle. It was truly awesome at towing this rig, bringing many smiles to my face (Vicki tells me I grin all the way to the top of the mountains). Both of our diesels were pure stock, no performance enhancements needed. We previously towed it with a '99 F350, supercab, shortbed, with the V10. It also did a great job although the diesel is awesome. I probably should note that the new F250 has considerably higher ratings than our '03 F350. That's because of the new frontend, much stronger frame (based on the F550), new front and rear springs, and who knows what else. To top it off, we think it rides even nicer. This and the prior truck are both 4x4 with the new one being Off Road as well.

Sorry to be so windy on this, guess that's my nature. Bottom line is to go dually or SRW per your own preferences. Get the diesel or the V10. Either will do an excellent job for you. If you decide to go Dodge or GM, again get the diesel or the V10 (only available in used vehicles now) if Dodge, or the diesel or 8.1L V8 gasser for GM. If you go shortbed, like we did, be sure to get a manual slider for your hitch or get an automatic slider like the Pullrite Superglide (excellent but pricey but still on my wish list).

We've seen a couple of places where duallys were banned. Very few but they are out there. It's tough to find a drive through carwash that can accommodate a dually. Plus the parking issue. But some folks prefer the dually and figure these are minor nuisances.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have a 3650 RK, and the dry weight is not 14k, that is the total weight, GVWR. Dry weight is actually about 12K. I use a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 4 x 4 with the Cummins 5.9L HO 600. Tha Max tow rating for this truckis 16K, which is over the max of the 3650 RK. My truck has no problem at all hauling my unit. I have the single rear wheels. I hear with a dually, you get less for and aft movement, but as I said, I have no problems, nice and steady on inclines, etc, I love it. I have heard good things about the new fords, and the 350 should do fine. I would definatly recommend a 1 Ton pickup with that unit, despite the dealer, at least my dealer, telling me a 3/4 ton is fine.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

just bought a new 3650rk at 14160lbs dry. Would like some input on the truck I would need. I am currently looking at the new Ford 2005 f-350 supercab but don't know wether to go with single or dual rear axle. Please help

Garin 1, as you have been told in other strings that brand loyality will dictate the conversations to your question. I will say that without a doubt, the new Ford has the others hands down. However, next year, it could be Dodge or GM. You just have to buy what you like and live with your decision. Me, I stand by my Ford.

Have a great Day...
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Well said, I happen to find that for the 2004 model year, Dodge had the best towing capicity and touque, but that changes year to year. Ford has it this year, and next year, who knows. Every truck out there is good, and for every person that loves Dodge, Ford, or Chevy, I can find someone that has has bad luck and hates them.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
My past unit was the 3670RL and I pulled it with a ford SRW - no problems!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:07 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Garin1,
As others have said.... it's pretty much a personal choice.... regarding the dual vs. single rear wheel. Our first truck was a Ford SD 250 PSD with the single rear wheels. When we went with the larger truck.... Ford SD 450 PSD ... it came with the dual rear wheels. We cannot tell the difference in towing. The single rear wheels seemed as stable as the dual rear wheels. Psychology there is a difference. I no longer worry about having a blowout on the rear wheels. With the single rear wheels I was always worrying about that.

We did have a blowout but it was on the trailer. We had no problem at all bringing the rig to a quick and safe stop. But we may have had the same experience with the single rear wheels. That I don't know.

We did notice just a bit of the "tail wagging the dog" effect with the single rear wheels when we had to stop "short". Not had that with the duals. But that could simply be due to the heavier truck too.

We have had no problem finding a place to park... but since we have the Crew Cab with the long bed the truck is long! We just find a couple of spaces out of the way and take up 2 of them. But we do find it annoying not to be able to go thru drive thrus and car washes!

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up getting.

By the way... you may want to get a copy of the latest Trailer Life Magazine. It has a Tow Rating special segment on all the new vehicle tow capabilities. Some very interesting reading. Well worth the price..

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:54 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sreigle: Steve, you are right about the dry weight of the 3670RL. It was 11740lbs. After we transferred all our stuff from the last unit. (We are not fulltimers) our weight was 13,900 lbs which is 280 lbs. under the gwvr. My hitch weight is 2860 lbs. The weight of the rear axle is 6420 lbs. which is why I upgraded the tires to 265's from the 245's. I will stay with the SRW because it is all the truck I will ever need.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:42 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, Bill and Ann, you are really loaded, just like we are!

We've now towed for over a thousand miles with the new F250 and think it's absolutely tops at towing. My only "problem" is our pinweight is 3120 lbs and it squats the rear of the truck just enough that I can see it is squatting. As for driving with it that way, in windy situations (we had driving rains and wind three of the four towing days) and being passed by a semi I could just very slightly tell the front end is a bit light because of the squat in the rear.

We have one more day of traveling before we settle in the Savannah area for a couple of months. Today is a laundry/cleaning day so we're sitting tight today. I'll raise the hitch in the truck to the next higher notch to shift a little of the weight of the trailer. The 3120 lbs of pinweight was measured on the prior truck. This truck sits a couple of inches lower in the bed so there's probably more pinweight on this one than there was on the F350. At least that's an educated guess. If raising the hitch doesn't make enough difference then when in Savannah I'll start looking for overloads or go with air bags. Otherwise this truck does a super job towing this 13,980 lb Montana.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:22 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: When Ann found out I still had 280 lbs. leeway she started loading more.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LOL, Bill. We have 320 lbs. to spare so if you need a place to store some things....

When we weighed the rig I think we had a full fresh water tank. Since we now run with it 1/3 to 2/3 full, we probably have a couple more hundred lbs less than the 13,980 the rig weighed in at. One of these days I need to hit the scales again.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #14
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Thanks for all the info, and the welcome aboard. I guess I am just trying to play the devil's advocate. I would like to hear the pro's and con's of both sides. I will be here in Iraq for six to eighteen more months so I have plenty of time to discuss and research the subject.

Thank you all so very much for you input
Gary
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #15
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Gary,

As you can tell by our signature line, we have a Chevy Silverado, 2500 HD, which of course is a single wheels on the rear axle. I'd love a new truck. When we were buying we were pretty much extreme novices, having only towed boat trailers and a couple of pop ups.

We still love the truck but there are a few amenities I'd like to have on it that we don't. Heated seats would be one main thing. Those leather seats are sure cold in this weather and this is my vehicle to drive full time.

If we bought another truck we would by a 3500 Single Rear Wheel. Now they didn't have that available until the 04 models, at least I think that's right.

We're very happy with our current truck and have encountered not one single problem with it. We are in total amazement of just how much of a wonderful job it does pulling our heavy Montana.

Like the other's said it's a matter of personal preference.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
FORD! FORD! FORD! But then I am completely prejudiced. I admit it. I have driven all the big three and Nissan trucks, loved them all when I had them. There wasn't a bad one in the whole batch. Trucks are more an emotional selection than a purely logical one. We try to justify our choice with logical explanations, but we buy because we like the truck.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote