Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Generators and Air Conditioners

Using a 2000 Honda generator, or any brand generator with a 13.5 A\C is certainly a problem. I hear Dometic has a "soft start" kit for their A/C units. I hear with the soft start mod. installed the units will start up consistently when attempted using a 2000 watt generator.

Has anyone performed this mod., or does anyone know anything about this. Please if you have direct experience or reasonable knowledge of this give me some comments, feedback or ideas.

Thank you,

Paulinbsjs

paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have some friends that "get away with" running their 13.5's with a soft start powered by an EU2000. However there are a few tradeoffs. The 2000 watt genset is only rated at 1600 watt continuous, so you're running it pretty hard and pretty throttle up. They cannot run much else at the same time. On hot days 90's+ and at altitudes say above 2000 ft it really strains the genset should the A/C cycle. They run the A/C at its coldest to eliminate the cycling. They also turn all else off including the converter on these days as well for the EU2000 won't run the A/C and converter at the same time with any consistency. I'd propose going with say a Yamaha 2400 watt to get that little bit more capacity and still stay with a weight range you can live with. Remember most all open framed gensets although cheaper will not make you any friends in a campground.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We just like to use too many other things besides one AC so we have the second 2000i. One might start the AC, but our other usage shuts it down in no time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Agree, the 2000i is a great genset, but running the AC on it should be considered a short time solution...IMHO. Another option for you might be getting a second 2000i and running a parallel cable. This would provide you with the needed extra current and wouldn't tax the genset so hard, but of course that's an expensive option too. If you do run at max continuous power frequently, you'll also need to change the oil often.

The owners manual states the following limitations:
Limit operation requiring maximum power to 30 minutes.
Maximum power is: 2000 VA

For continuous operation, do not exceed the rated power.
Rated power is: 1600 VA

The total power requirements (VA) of all appliances connected must
be considered. Appliance and power tool manufacturers usually list
rating information near the model number or serial number.

Remember it's probably not just your AC that will be running as your converter will also draw current. This could possibly put you over the line for your current budget on the 2000i.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's not just the obvious. Tv's, DVD s and dvr's, propane detectors etc all draw minor amounts of current even when turned off. Not a big deal unless the big things you're counting have you maxed out already.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Even if only the A/C is the only thing running in the rig, the converter is always on when there's any kind of 110v, and it run as much as 4-6 amps by itself (after all, the batteries are being charged and that takes converter power). It's hard to imagine that in your rig the ONLY thing running will be the A/C. Turn on ANY light including 12v and you run the risk of brownout and the converter is already charging the batteries and probably powering your propane or other alarm. With only 1600 watts continuous on the generator, this leaves only about 1,000 to 1,200 left over for the A/C. The A/C might run, but it might be running under low, brownout conditions. Break the bank and get another EU2000 and the cable, or get a 4,000W generator so you don't risk damaging anything. That's why I did it and it's a good thing I don't have two A/Cs yet.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Thank you to you all! My suspicions' are supported.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Think you should have titled this about Honda generators as either of my two Yamahas will carry the AC load.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, true Walt, thanks for the reminder. Since the Hondas came up with the parallel cable to connect more than one generator together, there are other brands with this capability, like Yamaha and Champion. There are probably others as well. The big point is to get a second one if the single portable can support a parallel cable to increase generator output. It's just not worth risking your Montana's electric gear with underpowered power source, no matter, what's been done by some lucky owner. Even a Yamaha that can handle an A/C could easily lose the battle if one takes too much for granted, or forgets about the power limitations and fires up more than it can handle.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our Kipor 3K will run one A/C and few other things. We do the under load test once a year. the Kipor is 30A amps at the 15.5 A/C will draw about 12/13 amps. It does load down on start up then runs OK.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #11
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Thanks Rick and Helen for the reply. I posted this for a friend just getting into RVing. We are trying to stay with a lighter unit as "old backs" are limiting our ability to maneuver heavy items. They just purchased a 25' TT that will be used for winter weekend and some longer, two weeks or so trips in the summer.
Currently the plan is to buy one 2000 unit and then later a companion if the need becomes great. Usually they will stay in parks with Hook-up so the need is questionable?
My wife and I fulltime, currently in Chico, CA and summer at Lake Almanor near Chester CA. We camp host for AL&L at PG&E campgrounds, and love every minute of it!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Unless one boondocks there is little reason to have a generator. We do have on and have had it for 7 years but we have rarely used it. We did use it at Quartzsite and a couple times at the S&B when we had a summer power outage.
I would just get the Honda 2K or comparable for emergency backup if I was buying now.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Ram189
Established Member

M.O.C. #14144
As a "boondocker"/Nascar camper I have seen a lot of people use the 2000s hooked together. Problem I have seen with them is fuel capacity. They have such a small tank you spend more time putting fuel in them or having to run an auxiliary tank for more capacity. By the time you get them all setup and all the extra stuff hooked up you could run a 3000 for the same about of time with 1/4 of the setup time. I have a Yamaha 3100 we use with our TT. It is on a wagon to roll on and off the truck.
With the new 5th wheel I am going to have to muscle it in and out of the truck but I think I will just end up using it sitting in the bed of the truck. It is about even with the rails so should not interfere with the trailer at all.
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
The Honda 2000 is not really designed to run AC, due to the large demand. If you hook up 2 of them you will have reserve capacity that you would not have if you used a 3000 watt generator. And dual 2000's are still less expensive than a single 3000. Fuel capacity is still a problem unless you get a auxiliary tank. If it is hot enough to need an AC I make sure I have shore power.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We are headed to Alaska for the summer. We have a Honda 2000 and a 2000 Companion. We also purchased the spare tank with quick disconnects and built a welded cage to secure them in the truck. Where we live in Colorado, we plan on doing a lot of our camping on National Forest or BLM land. Having two Hondas allows us to run one when we are just needing power for TV, fridge, etc. At altitude (7500 ft +), we need both to run the microwave. Each situation is different. Some people live where they seldom use AC, some have a permanent mounting location, others are brand loyal and still others are looking for the lowest price. Make the best decision for your situation and have fun.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I have a single Yamaha 2000 and in all honesty it's a bit underpowered for my needs. I'll need to pickup a second Yamaha w/ parallel kit or deal with an angry spouse (or worse no dry camping). Hair dryers, curling irons, convert/charges, microwaves can push the little guys especially with the normal "hidden" loads in the trailer. If you do go with a parallel kit for the 2000 class gens consider an external tank kit. I have one that will supply 5 gallons of gas.

Also, give a quick look at the Boliy Pro3600Si. Lots of good reviews especially on the newest models. If my back to deal with moving 70lb into the front generator compartment I'd own one.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I just have a Champion for the rare occasions I need power. I have it chained in the bed of my truck where it lives. It stays there full time since I rarely haul anything else in my truck. I have a cover for it and it does just fine there.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote