Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Helping a buddy out Saturday

He 'Buried' his Jeep about 35 miles from nowhere...
I charged his battery and got him out. Had a ball, but man, the guy was way out there:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20120331Saturday33012StuckJeep?authuser=0&feat=dir ectlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Now I remember why I never go 4-wheeling alone. Having a buddy with you is price-less.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
4 wheel drive means yur gonna be further from the house when ya git stuk.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, like I've heard, there are only 2 types of 4x4 drivers - first type, one that has gotten stuck and the second type is the one that is gonna get stuck. So far, I'm a type two but I don't have any scratches on the side of my truck like you do, so I'm not trying hard enough.

What did you use for recharging his battery? Did using his winch cause the battery to go dead? I've heard suggestions that the vehicle should be running when using a winch. Was this the case? Where was the winch located on the Jeep (front?, rear?). Is that what you used to get him out?

One of these days I'm gonna mount a front receiver on my truck, then I'll have one in front and one in back. I'd like to get a winch too, hoping it could help me get out of scrapes like this. Unfortunately, what I've heard of these winches and my lack of experience, I'd probably get myself in trouble trying to use one.

Having a buddy as a caravan and a good tow rope might be what I need. And that's gonna have to be some tow rope. Does anyone know what rating should be used for a 4 ton truck? While I've seen plenty of winches capable of up to 9,000 lbs, how much margin should one have?

I'll tell you though, being able to gain the wisdom of getting oneself out of scrapes is good to know. Sure it's better not to get in them in the first place, but who just wants to stay home and see the four walls. Most beauty I see is a hike or backpack in, but being able to drive back there affords so much more. I love seeing what God put out there, to a point.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Yup, like I've heard, there are only 2 types of 4x4 drivers - first type, one that has gotten stuck and the second type is the one that is gonna get stuck. So far, I'm a type two but I don't have any scratches on the side of my truck like you do, so I'm not trying hard enough.
No scratches: no fun. 4 years ago, I wouldn't go off road, hated to get on a dusty road, now I realize how much fun I missed, wouldn't change a thing. I try and cut branches as I go, I'm never in a hurry out there, if people want to charge ahead, I let them go.
What did you use for recharging his battery? Did using his winch cause the battery to go dead? I've heard suggestions that the vehicle should be running when using a winch. Was this the case? Where was the winch located on the Jeep (front?, rear?). Is that what you used to get him out?
I just hooked up cables to his battery and let it charge off my truck as I was rigging the lift of the Jeep, my monster alternator and 2 gel-cell batteries charged his in no time just idling. I imagine his winch drained the battery, he probably didn't have the engine running, that winch draws some serious amps. Mault is not very mechanical..or electrical, but a great person. He is the 'Geocacher King' around here, I have learned tons from him. He tried to pay me, but I told him friends do not accept money from friends, for helping out.
His winch is in front, for serious rigging, you need an anchor, (boat blade type) pulleys, chain, and other accessories to do it right.
No, I got him out gracefully, raising the Jeep in front & making a ramp, digging in back, making a ramp, then ease out. More fun figuring out how to make it smooth, rather than just yanking it out. (For me.)
One of these days I'm gonna mount a front receiver on my truck, then I'll have one in front and one in back. I'd like to get a winch too, hoping it could help me get out of scrapes like this. Unfortunately, what I've heard of these winches and my lack of experience, I'd probably get myself in trouble trying to use one.

Having a buddy as a caravan and a good tow rope might be what I need. And that's gonna have to be some tow rope. Does anyone know what rating should be used for a 4 ton truck? While I've seen plenty of winches capable of up to 9,000 lbs, how much margin should one have?

Just get a good tow strap from an auto-parts store, they are rated for what you might need, I carry one in my toolbox. Winches; I would have to research that, never had one.
I'll tell you though, being able to gain the wisdom of getting oneself out of scrapes is good to know. Sure it's better not to get in them in the first place, but who just wants to stay home and see the four walls.
I would rather chance meeting the grim reaper out here, than hanging out on the porch waiting for something to happen. I believe in choking the hell out of life.
Most beauty I see is a hike or backpack in, but being able to drive back there affords so much more. I love seeing what God put out there, to a point.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When I was in high school we had a friend bury his jeep in a swamp. Went out with farm truck and a chain and pulled the body off the frame. Wasn't a good time when his dad saw the remains.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
I grew up in the oil field and a country boy soooo 4x4 was a definite for me as a young kid. My dad told me "If you don't know how to drive a 4x4 all your gonna do is get stuck worse." and I learned the hard way. Needed a bulldozer to pull me out . When Dad showed up with the dozer he laughed and said "I told ya so."
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
... And don't forget to eat dessert first!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz
No scratches: no fun. 4 years ago, I wouldn't go off road, hated to get on a dusty road, now I realize how much fun I missed, wouldn't change a thing.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Ozz All this is just like my back yard, We live outside Yuma and Jeep and Quad out in the same stuff. You are right way to much fun.
To bad I still have to Work for a living or I would be out a lot more.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
How come he couldn't put the winch cable around that big rock in front of him?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

How come he couldn't put the winch cable around that big rock in front of him?
When I drove up, his front differential was sitting on that big rock

Oh.. THAT big rock. Don't know, I do know he ran the battery down, probably ran the winch with the engine off, or the battery may be weak. I would have a super-gigantic battery, or two, if I could fit them in there with that sewing-machine motor..
He is a great guy, but not mechanically-minded in things like this.