Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Dbeard

M.O.C. #12118
converters

I have an 06 3400 RL with a Iota converter model DLS-55 and need a replacement. Any suggestions on what kind and model to get?
Thanks
Don

Dbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I called Iota and they sent me a replacment at no charge. Mine was 2 years old. They were very nice to deal with.They sent me the new one and asked me to send the old one back. They even sent a prepaid postage sticker. Good luck.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
DBeard,
Good luck. It might not be a bad idea to contact Iota or whoever produced the converter. Who knows they might just surprise you and replace an old one. Doubt it but what could it hurt! When my 2002 model goes out I may give them a call! Best of luck............ And get a model that has the "smart" stuff built in or attached. And if you were struggling with your electrical load you might want a slightly larger model. Let us know what you end up doing. As you know CW or any good RV Parts place should have them in stock. If you're not in a big rush then look online. You can often get substantial savings by shopping online. Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
It depends on how the converter is installed. The size and mounting points may dictate going back to Iota. If there is mounting space Xantrex has had a very good reputation.
I believe that Ozz has a few pictures of his converter displayed in one of the series of improvements he has made to his trailer
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Don,
No matter which you get I suggest you ensure it has the "Smart Charge Module". That is what Iota calls it.
I currently have the Inteli-Powers with their Charge Wizard.
Both the Smart Charge and Charge Wizard "charges the batter BETTER" with three states of charge instead of two.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dbeard

I have an 06 3400 RL with a Iota converter model DLS-55 and need a replacement. Any suggestions on what kind and model to get?
Thanks
Don
Don, how do you know it is defective?
Reason asked, it does have a fuse in it that blows with a reverse polarity issue. Have you seen it: eyes on?
I can dig up the picture, but you have to pull the electrical panels unless someone installed an acess panel.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
My converter AC breaker trips sometimes and it's not obvious until the DC powered lights dim. I'm still not sure why the Brkr trips,, although I suspect we do not have good ventilation as mentioned in an earlier reply.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CBTraveler

My converter AC breaker trips sometimes and it's not obvious until the DC powered lights dim. I'm still not sure why the Brkr trips,, although I suspect we do not have good ventilation as mentioned in an earlier reply.
I would do a specific gravity test (little suction deal with little balls in it) on the battery when fully charged to see if one or more cells are bad.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
On our 06 3400 the converter was located above pantry ceiling, behind the electrical panel in the bathroom. Keystone put a vent cover in the pantry ceiling. Because of poor air flow, the converter would get hot and then our breaker would trip. My solution was to put a 12 volt muffin fan in behind the vent, pulling the hot air out into the pantry.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Mine came with a 3 stage XADC-80 Xantrex and it seems to be working well for over 2 years. Anyone have an opinion on the Xantrex brand?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mike, I think it is one of the best, if not the best. But, they all make many different models and some makers build units to be competitive, thus they have high end and medium units, the quality of these are much different.
...Sounds like a politician...
Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Trace Inverters was sold to Xantrex, then to Schider, they either sold to the Chinese, or is Chinese, but they are said to be a great company, making reliable equipment.
I bought a Magnum Inverter, which is owned by Schnider... as I recall, anymore I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday..