Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Road service ...DISSAPPOINTING!!!

May I make a few suggestions after having owned a towing co. for 30+ years. When we started serving M/Cs we were allowed to charge locally fair prices. As time passed we were bid out by low bidders. We were of the opinion that professionalism, courtesy and response trumped price......we were wrong but glad to be releived to be free of soon to be notorious situations and lack of integrity. We kept serving local new car dealers and Police, Sheriff, Highway patrol, and numerous small local shops and garages. Our reputation and integrity is sound. Cos. serving M/Cs become critisized because they are caused , by low income to hire unskilled drivers instead of pros....to rush from customer to customer , losing the time to be courteous. There is a lack of integrity among M/Cs and the cos. they choose.

1. You probably have towing ins. on your policy. Lowest priced ins. avail. Your ins co. will probably let you call a tow co. of your choosing if you ask.
2. I think maybe a list of Prow Tow Cos. provided by members of this forum, you know the good one in your area, would be a good addition .
3. Do you really want a third party to choose the lowest bidder to handle your (probably) second largest investment?
4. As a group we can bring pressure on the M/Cs to raise their standards. Wouldn't that be nice.
5. My opinion.... the loss of standards in America is our greatest down fall. "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing".

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great post!
You are dead on in your assessment. Part of the blame is on the consumer for seeking the lowest bidder, I remember the owner of a local restaurant telling me that he did not expect me to be the lowest bidder, but he wanted good quality service and speedy response. I had his account for 15 years after that.
Most business are not like that, but this guy is a success in his business and knows how the deal works...
I can tell by your post that you would be a great service provider, at least we can take pride in our business knowing we served our customers well.
I stopped at a real nice bar that had recently changed ownership. They had spot lights above the bar counter where you sat, the nice flat screen TV's were high behind the bar area, you were blinded by the lights, couldn't watch the TV's. I asked the general manager to come over and see the bar from a customers viewpoint, he wouldn't even come over to look. That attitude will carry over in his food, staff selection and the lack of caring will tank that business. If you don't listen to the customer, you are doomed for failure.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Welcome to the Wal-Mart syndrome!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow!
We have belonged to the AAA club for well over 20 years and have received nothing but very efficient and courteous service! And we have used their services all over the Western and Mid Western parts of our country. Haven't been in the Esst or South yet but I suspect we would get good service there too. Never have we been exposed to "unskilled drivers instead of pros.." type workers.

As long as we receive the type of service we have thus far received we will continue to give them our business. When we get discourteous and inefficient service we will give our business to some other company. Travel safely, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Wow!
We have belonged to the AAA club for well over 20 years and have received nothing but very efficient and courteous service! And we have used their services all over the Western and Mid Western parts of our country. Haven't been in the Esst or South yet but I suspect we would get good service there too. Never have we been exposed to "unskilled drivers instead of pros.." type workers.

As long as we receive the type of service we have thus far received we will continue to give them our business. When we get discourteous and inefficient service we will give our business to some other company. Travel safely, Dennis.
When AAA approached us to see if we wanted to serve them, they made this remark "you will probably not be interested in working with us because you do not operate an auto repair shop/body shop. We only pay $18.oo per tow. All of our reps. have auto repair shops and are able to make their profit there because we reccommend them as a AAA repair facility and have no influence on pricing". As I said earlier "evil flourishes when good men do nothing". We were successful because and became the busiest co. in our locale simply because of our rep. and integrity.... do you have towing Ins on your auto policy? If so why pay AAA more for what you already have?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

When AAA approached us to see if we wanted to serve them, they made this remark "you will probably not be interested in working with us because you do not operate an auto repair shop/body shop. We only pay $18.oo per tow. All of our reps. have auto repair shops and are able to make their profit there because we reccommend them as a AAA repair facility and have no influence on pricing".

Larry this sounds ridiculous. I cannot imagine AAA making such an offer and or making such statements. My guess is that you got an unethical salesperson (imagine that)! Eighteen dollars would probably not be enough to pay for the phone call! I do not know for certain but I'd guess that many of the folks we have dealt with do not have an auto repair or body shop. I'm just guessing here but we've never had the need for such services nor have any of the operators recommended such a facility.

As I said earlier "evil flourishes when good men do nothing". We were successful because and became the busiest co. in our locale simply because of our rep. and integrity....

Nice quote (which I agree with) but we are talking about a tow company. I'm glad you are/were successful because of your "rep. and integrity...." but I suspect you also provided a needed service.

do you have towing Ins on your auto policy? If so why pay AAA more for what you already have?

We have used them with our RV...... Probably about 10 service calls with our RV..... And I was referring to the service provided in relation to our RV. I'm sorry to be so dense but what do you mean by your statement/question ..... "why pay AAA more for what you already have?"? It would be much more expensive for us to pay out of pocket for the services provided by AAA than it is to pay the annual fee.

To me the tone of your posts indicate that like many of us you got out of the business not a minute too soon. Good luck and travel safely, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't carry towing on my auto insurance. The service and the towing range is severely limited and restricted on the auto insurance rider. Coach-Net offers much more flexibility and a longer range than those insurance riders. I have had Coach-Net go beyond the letter of the contract in getting my needs addressed.

My experience with Coach-Net has been neither shoddy nor unprofessional. Courtesy along with follow-up after the service has been their hallmark. I see your point. I am sure it applies in many cases, however, it does not line up with my experience.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I apologize for causing a stir, just trying let you see it through a towmans eyes. I'm sure that most of you are probably happy with your ser. Pleasant travels.