Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Return to Factory

Looks like my 2011 Mountaineer is going to have to go back to the factory to have the front cap replaced due to defective mold and some areas that appear to have been repaired not so well. I stopped at my dealer on the way back from Florida since factory said the dealer would have to look at it and request it be returned for repair. Dealer agreed and is going to contact Keystone. Has anyone had to take their unit to the factory and how does it work? My dealer is 125 miles away and factory is about 350 miles away. I offered to go right to the factory from Florida, about 300 miles out of my way coming back from Florida and was told dealer would have to look at it first which was about 100 miles out of my way home and now it looks like it will be going back to the factory. How will it go back, me take it or will they have it picked up and if I have to haul it will they reimburse for fuel for having to pull it 700 miles round trip.

jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Assuming that it is still under warranty, I see no reason that you would have to transport it there. Others may differ, but I would emphasize to the dealer that it is their responsibility.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Well I hope so since I offered to go 300 miles out of my way back from Florida on my nickel and they said NO that the dealer would have to see it first to see if they could repair it and I asked if they thought the dealer could really get a flat spot in the rounded part of the cap out that is 8" x 20" and they said no but you still have to go to dealer first. So I went 100+ miles out of my way just so the dealer could say yep it will have to go back.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Keystone picked up ours and had it transpoted 1,250 miles to their Oregon plant at no expence to us.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If you have the time the trip to the factory is an experience I do not think you will regret. Factory tours, and all that great Elkhart County food and other fun stuff to explore. You will be treated well by the service center. Camping at Camp Keystone is another great experience, and mmmm, free! To my knowledge they don't reimburse for fuel.

Good luck with your repairs.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I agree with Carol (Mrs.CountryGuy) to consider taking your rig to Goshen. There are full hookups at the Center in Goshen. Considering your agenda or time you want to dedicate to righting this, I am of the belief that working with the folks really helps. Deciding who is wrong, who carrys the water, etc, may not always satisfy the ultimate solution you want. Once you go thru the dealer door, and then ultimately to the Keystone Service Center, I truly beleive the Service Center will rectify your issues. It's a decision you must make based on what you feel is right for you. I'm retired. I would go to the Center to resolve the issue. Good Luck on your decision.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I would recommend going with your unit to the service center. While there if you have some other annoying things they would probably fix those as well. Take the opportunity to enjoy some hoosier hospitality and visit the huge I repeat huge flea market at Shipshawana, take in a factory tour and see how the montana's are built (very educational)and some good Amish cooking.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
bubbabc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9722
My front cap on my 2010 326 Mountaineer developed a crack at the top on the road side. I took it back to my dealer "Beckleys Camping Center" in Thurmont Maryland for repair. They did a fantastic job and guarenteed their work for a year. I was afraid the crack would reappear but was told this seldom happens.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jliveit

Looks like my 2011 Mountaineer is going to have to go back to the factory to have the front cap replaced due to defective mold and some areas that appear to have been repaired not so well. I stopped at my dealer on the way back from Florida since factory said the dealer would have to look at it and request it be returned for repair. Dealer agreed and is going to contact Keystone. Has anyone had to take their unit to the factory and how does it work? My dealer is 125 miles away and factory is about 350 miles away. I offered to go right to the factory from Florida, about 300 miles out of my way coming back from Florida and was told dealer would have to look at it first which was about 100 miles out of my way home and now it looks like it will be going back to the factory. How will it go back, me take it or will they have it picked up and if I have to haul it will they reimburse for fuel for having to pull it 700 miles round trip.
bubbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
I have no problem hauling it to the factory, just a little upset that back in December (5 months old ) and in Florida for the winter that I tried to get them to let me send pictures of the 4 areas of the front cap one of which was the defective mold (flat spot 8"x 20" that gets worse as the temperature increases to make arrangements to go right to the factory on my way back the end of March and they said No, will have to let dealer see first. So now I have gone 125 miles out of my way and by the time I take it round trip to the factory will be another 700 miles and at current $4 a gallon for fuel will turn into quite an exspence. When unit was on order I had called trying to find what kind of wood & stain they used and they could not even tell me as I was trying to make somethings for the inside before it arrived. So far my customer service experience has not be very good.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jliveit,
Sorry you're having this problem but glad to hear you'll get it taken care of. You might at least ask Keystone to reimburse you for the cost of the fuel. Unfortunately you don't always get everything you ask for or think you deserve. At least it is getting fixed. Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Couldn't you have taken it to a dealer in Florida? We bought ours in Arizona and when we were having some warranty issues they had us take it to a dealer in Michigan
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I would think that Keystone should be willing to work with you on the fuel issue. If they have to pay someone to pick it up and return it, I would think would cost much more (drive, truck, fuel, food, insurance, etc) than just your fuel. If nothing else maybe you could get them to at least split the cost. Just some idle thoughts. Good luck and hope everything turns out OK.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
I think that you can take it to any Keystone dealer to have them look at it. We bought ours in Iowa and live in Montana and when we had a warranty problem with the refrigerator we just took it to the Keystone dealer in Montana and they took care of the problem right away.
restez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Keystone does encourage dealers to service any and all Montana products BUT they are not required to do so. This is a subject that has come up at many if not all Rallies where a Montana representative has been present. It is too bad that some dealers simply refuse to deal with folks who did not buy their unit from that particular dealer.

But you should always try to get service from the nearest dealer. You just never know. Travel safely, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote