Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
rcreamo123

M.O.C. #8112
Water leak from seperated hot water line

We bought our 2008 3500RL Montana last year and used it twice. This year we took it for a weekend shakedown and had a hot water line let go at the junction in the rear of the RV. Lucky there was another Montana (Full Timer) parked behind us and he came over to help. We ended up taking the rear 2 panels down under the RV. When he felt the line he indicated the nut had come off and simply put it back he also checked the cold water line and told me it was on by only 1 thread. The rest of the weekend went fine after we went around and checked all the connections.

Hopefully the insulation will dry out before mold sets in.

Has anyone else ever had these problem? Is this common and should I continously check all the fittings to make sure they are tight? Todd said it was probably just not tightened when they manufactured the RV and not from using or pulling it.

rcreamo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Monty owners have had to recheck fitting, electrical connections, suspension nuts and bolt torque, screw heads and the like. There are numerous problems with many different fasteners on not just Montanas, but SOBs too. It could be factory problem forgetting to tighten things down correctly or things working loose. In your case I think someone forgot to tighten them down in the first place since it is difficult for plumbing to work loose if fastened properly.

I have tried to give my Monty a once over to check every nut, bolt, screw, fasteners, fitting, connection and I always seem to find a new one that might need a little something but most times its just fine. I would say this is too common and unfortunate. But, shame on me, I just fix it and continue RVing, no complaints, just tolerate it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
rcreamo123

M.O.C. #8112
Thank you Art & Margie for your input. I guess I will try and follow your lead and check everything. Since we are new the 5'er we need to learn a few things. Plan on retiring in 6 mos. 18 days..as of today. Next June 1st we should be headed to the Grand Canyon for a week or so.

Sounds like we basically have the same RV, excluding the Generators. Electric Fire place is nice on cool morings.

Have any problems pulling up hills with the F-250? I went up a mountian last year and really slowed down by the time I got to the top.
rcreamo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I would say all these problems are due to lax quality control at the plants. We complain about cars and trucks but we do not have all these problems with those products. I would like to see a see a signed factory quality inspection sheet when I purchase so when problems arise you have someone to put the blame on.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Before our Monty we owned two travel trailers manufactured by Sunline. When we purchased each trailer, we received a document from the factory with each and every system checked and initialed by someone at the factory. We had a couple of small problems but nothing major. We were very pleased with both trailers. Sadly, Sunline is no longer in business.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote