Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Debbie Warren

M.O.C. #10405
front jacks

has anyone had any problems with front jacks fuses blowing?

Debbie Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Debbie is it the one in the truck or the one in the trailer near the leg motor. if it is the truck the battery in the trailer need to have a better charge or a bad ground on the motor thats what I think might be the problem
Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We blew a fuse once shortly after we got the trailer but haven't had a problem since. If you are wanting to know where it is, ours is an in line fuse near the batteries in the front compartment. Orange wire.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
With the trailer on the truck, lower the legs from the full up position a half an inch. Now, mark the drivers side leg with a piece of black electricians tape. Now, when you raise the legs, don't go past the tape and you won't put a strain on the motor which tends to blow the fuse.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Also, don't "rock" the retract/extend switch. If extending, don't start retracting until the motor completely stops and vice versa. Changing directions too fast has popped more than one fuse.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Debbie Warren

M.O.C. #10405
The front legs on the camper fuse is what I am talking about.
Debbie Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- Sounds like experience talking there!

Debbie-- Do the legs slide relatively easy or do they kind move hard(up or down)? If they move hard, check out John Kohl's postings on the lubricating of the legs and the gears. If they are binding(sp) that could also be causing the fuses to blow! Keep us informed on what turns up!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
steveeagle1

M.O.C. #10423
Send a message via MSN to steveeagle1 Send a message via Yahoo to steveeagle1
This is Steve Debs other half. We are having problems with the front jacks on the camper. We have a 37' 2007. The front jack fuse blows almost every time we lift the trailer up on or off the truck. It had a 30amp fuse in it and have recently went to a 40amp and have not blown it since. The jacks slide up and down freely and have lubed them on a regular bassis. I have had several shops look at them and then it wont blow. We dont travel all the time but atleast several times a year. We are looking forward to maybe meeting up with some other Montana owners and going a few places. Deb and I are planing a trip to the Grand Canyon next summer not this summer around the end of June first of July 2011. If any one would be interested in meeting us. We will be going for about 2 weeks.

Steve and Debbie
steveeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
We had the same problem while on an extended trip. Called Keystone and they shipped a cable with a second 30 amp fuse to the dealer in Grand Mesa, Colorado who installed it in parallel when we arrived there. The Keystone rep said the 30 amp fuse was not enough for the startup of the legs. Since the "update" (all taken care of by Keystone, naturally as they just always do take care of their own) we have had no problems since and that was three years and 20,000 miles ago.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
Rick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8298
Hi All.
When I first picked up my 09 3400rl at the dealers I was given a tour of the unit and then showen how every thing worked.
that was fine and dandy.
So now it becomes my turn to try this out well I blow the fuse on the landing gear right away while putting the unit on the truck.
I dealer said hang on a minute I will fix that for you,
and he left. When he came back he had a pink wire and a little circuit breaker he put this in where the fuse was and I haven't had a problem since with that anyway.

I did have a problem with a ground wire coming off and had to raise them manually Had that fixed at RV world just out side of Flagstaff Arizona wire pulled out of mar connector on rig.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote