Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Mexico anyone? (worth reading)

This is worth reading if you are thinking of going to Mexico.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_4755.html

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We run down to Progreso every few months. We park on the US side, walk over, get what we want, and don't hang around. They have had troops at the border for a couple years now.

Once when we were still on the US side, a Ford Superduty crashed the gates going back to Mexico. He never slowed down. Heard it was part of a ring stealing the diesel trucks in TX, and taking them to Mexico. They had caught some, but this guy got away.

From all reports we get, Progreso is still pretty quiet. Of course, that is subject to change.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I sure have no reason to go down into a hornets nest, to much to see here in the USA and Canada.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Here is an article that I copied from one of the news wires on this subject, and it sounds like it is getting pretty bad down there. One might think twice before going down there right now.

Two of Mexico's deadliest drug cartels have reached a combined force of 100,000 foot soldiers, wreaking havoc across the country and threatening U.S. border states, the U.S. Defense Department told The Washington Times.

The cartels rival the Mexican army in size and have both Mexico and the U.S. in crisis mode as they deal with what they fear is a coming insurgency along the border.

"It's moving to crisis proportions," an unidentified defense official told The Times. The official also said the cartels have reached a size where they are on par with Mexico's army of 130,000.

About 7,000 people have died in the last year — more than 1,000 in January alone — at the hands of Mexico's increasingly violent drug cartels. Murders often involve beheadings or bodies dissolved in vats of acid.

The two most dangerous cartels are the Sinaloa cartel, nicknamed the "Federation" or "Golden Triangle" by law enforcement agencies, and "Los Zetas" (the Gulf Cartel). They have been growing and are reportedly discussing a truce or merger to better withstand government forces, The Times reported.

Mexico is now only behind Pakistan and Iran as a U.S. national security concern, coming in ahead of Afghanistan and Iraq, the defense official told The Times.

Related StoriesHundreds Arrested in Cross-Country Campaign Against Drug Cartel
Mexican Drug Cartels Armed to the Hilt, Threatening National Security
The country's attorney general, Eduardo Medina Mora, called last week for more U.S. prosecutions of people who sell weapons illegally to the cartels, as well as more efforts to stop drug profits from flowing south.

Mexico has spent $6.5 billion over the last two years, on top of its normal public security budget, on the fight against drugs, but that falls short of the $10 billion Mexican drug gangs bring in annually, he said.

While violence in Tijuana is down sharply from last year, killings have spiked in the largest border city, Ciudad Juarez. The city of 1.3 million across from El Paso, Texas, is now the most worrisome of a number of hotspots, Medina Mora said.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Someone remind me of why I would now go to Mexico. Too much violence and I wouldn't risk my safety for anything that Mexico has that the USA doesn't have.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
artice3 in today's AZ Republic stats that Mexican authorities have confiscated over 400 planes used by the drug cartels. This is larger than the entire Mexican Air Force! As for me, I'm staying on good old USA soil!!!!!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SAndreasen

As for me, I'm staying on good old USA soil!!!!!
Same here.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'll be going down in a few weeks. If I don't post anymore, well, y'all will know what happened. Oh well, you only live once.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
We had enough of Mexico when we got stuck in Hurricane Wilma in 2005.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I have as much desire to go to Mexico as I do to have a root canal done without Novocaine!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
My wife and I have always said why would anyone want to go to another country when there is so much to see and do right here in America! I have thought that when we see everything here then maybe and just maybe we will travel abroad. BUT, not until then.

PS can't wait to see that large ball of yarn.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
A number of years ago, I put up a manufacturing plant in Juarez. I never felt unsafe. I am sure glad that I am not involved with that operation any longer. However, my company just aquired a plant in Acuna, Mexico. It's across from Del Rio, Texas. It appears to still be a safe area. I'll let you know after my trip there next week.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

A number of years ago, I put up a manufacturing plant in Juarez. I never felt unsafe. I am sure glad that I am not involved with that operation any longer. However, my company just aquired a plant in Acuna, Mexico. It's across from Del Rio, Texas. It appears to still be a safe area. I'll let you know after my trip there next week.
I think it's a easy way for Americam industustral greed to make more money, and have no regulations on wages or EPA, all those jobs used to be in the USA now there not. I'll spend my money here and help our econamy, not the Mexican gouvenrment. there is to much unrest down there right now for me and the safety of my family.