Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
iconmae
Established Member

M.O.C. #9736
how to weigh total truck and rv

When we were returning from a trip, we had the thought to check our total weight at a truck scale but we weren't sure how it worked. We thought that it may be an electronic number flashed but that didn't happen so we moved on without ever talking to anyone at the scales.

What do we have to do to be weighed and what experiences has anyone had? Do the scale operators have a problem with that?

Thanks

Connie

iconmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The scales I used talked me onto the scales (truck and trailer). I then pulled off and paided the $8.oo for weight. Next I went back to the trailer parking area, [s]dropped[/s] unhooked the trailer and weighed just the truck. I paid $1.oo more for the reweigh within 24 hours.

If you need the formulas for figuring all the weights let us know.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It depends on the scale and the operator. Most times you must check in with the scale operator to discuss what you want weighed and what it will cost and they will give you instructions on what to do. The scale numbers show up where the operator sits and that's how they make their money. But again, other scales may differ.

There are scales that work other ways, for example, truckers know the procedure and how to do it themselves.

The best thing to do, is check with the place and see what they allow. Some scales do not even allow "RVers" so check first, THEN drive onto the scales after getting approval.

I have heard of H. John Kohl's procedure which is quite common but I have not done that. I use a scale up the street from where I live, at a moving company. They used their scales to measure moving trucks before and after loads are picked up to weigh a customers goods in order to determine cost of moving them. This particular place allow RVers' rigs, but I am required to go check in with the operator to discuss the weights I want (for example, each axle, gross weights or combined weights). They then direct me to the scales, I drive to each position we agreed to, count to 3 (the operator notes the weight), then move to the next position. After the last measurement, I park and get the results from the operator on a piece of paper. This costs me $10 for the whole thing. If I want each certified weight, then it's $10 for each weight measurement. Since I don't need certified weights, I just do all the weights on a scratch piece of paper provided by the operator for $10.

Your scale may differ.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

In Oregon, when the truck scales are "closed" anyone can pull in and weigh to their hearts content. The display is outside in front of the scale so you can easily see it. If it's not too busy, you can jockey around and weigh each side, single wheels, etc. ....for free!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

In Oregon, when the truck scales are "closed" anyone can pull in and weigh to their hearts content.
We often are in Oregon. We've wondered if we could weigh on their scales when they were closed, but were never sure about it. Next time we go through we'll weigh and say to ourselves, "Thanks KTmaniac!" Great info.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
All Government scales here in Alberta are there to be used with no fee and you can weigh anytime as long as you are not interupting trucks that may be lined up or are waiting to be weighed. These scales are in Kgs so can be confusing at times to convert to pounds. We use this service all the time when we travel and is easy to weigh one axle at a time or even each wheel if you have the time and the scales are not busy.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

In Oregon, when the truck scales are "closed" anyone can pull in and weigh to their hearts content. The display is outside in front of the scale so you can easily see it. If it's not too busy, you can jockey around and weigh each side, single wheels, etc. ....for free!

KT,
That's one of the things we like about going through Oregon. They even have scales that have been closed "forever" that we stop at regularly. The only thing I ever wonder about is when they were last calibrated.
Jack
Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
At the 2009 Fall Rally in Goshen, Indiana, there was a man named Walter from Recreation Vehicle Safety Education Foundation (mouthful!) who weighed each individual wheel of both the tow vehicle and the trailer. Then after setting up camp, you drove back to get the tow vehicle weighed again. The service isn't cheap ($49) when compared to public scales, but gives a much more detailed report of your weights. For example, weighing just the axles could indicate you are withing specs, but weighing at the wheel could show you are over loaded on that wheel and under on the opposite side - something that seems to be common in Montana trailers, from what Walter said. I got the impression he travels from gathering to gathering to provide this service. If desired, you can contact him at:

Walter Cannon
staff@rvsafety.com
321-453-7673
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I weigh at the closed ones in Washington also. In BC just before you cross the border at the truck crossing on the Canada side there is one just for checking your weight. I use it often.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
RVSEF is at most major rallies. I was surprised to see them at our small rally. They had been at the rally before us and we were the in between time till the next one. We have seen them at other rallies we attend. They do a in depth weighing the way it should be done to get all the proper numbers and get the picture of your weight conditions... It can be a eye opening experience. The service center now weighs units when they are in for service and go over the numbers with you. That can also be a throat clutcher..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote