Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
GM Trucks .....

Well I have to eat a little crow. As most know I said I wouldn't buy another GM Truck due to what GM let happen to them. But we bought the Freighliner M2 and I had rather drive it than anything we have ever owned, the ride is awesome. However we live out in the Country and we don't have trash pickup as many do. So we have to take our house whole Trash to the pickup point. Due to the economy they removed all the collection points to one location. So now I have to haul my Trash 18 miles one way. So it looks so funny hauling trash on rear deck of a Freightliner, and of course when I go to mow my Cementary pulling a two wheel trailer hauling a John Deere behind a MDT people kinda laugh. Long story short after much research, Fords, Dodges, and GM. My wonderful wife gave up her car and we bought a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 C/C. But we are still searching for a small car to tow behind the 5th wheel. I have a wonderful wife and she always is thinking of ways to make my life better. We as men are so lucky to have loving wives, and I'm so BLESSED. Life is Good.. GBY....

P.S. I wonder if I and air bags and springs to the 1/2 to I can turn it into a 3/4 ton ?????

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
After you add the air bags and springs, add two more tires to back of the 1500. You can get rid of the M2 and you won't need a small car.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Don your right, but Delaine just ordered a 2009 Chevy HHR with all options. Thats the only car we can tow with 4 down and just have to remove a fuse. Well its not possible for me to get rid of my M2, what a ride. I guess Friday we will go to Oneonta Ala and get the HHR. We had one before and it was a great little car 30+ mpg, and "Montana" has plenty of room in the rear. GBY...

P.S Think I will put a set of Michelin 19.5's on the 1/2 ton, then I know is will handle the pin weight.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Be careful adding 19.5 wheels and tires that size that your tranny can take it. I have been reading a lot lately that folks add substantially larger tires to their trucks and this can damage the tranny because of the change in wheel ratio to the gearing. I am in that process and just in the study phase for now.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

P.S. I wonder if I and air bags and springs to the 1/2 to I can turn it into a 3/4 ton ?????
Dave, adding the springs and air bags will not give you the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck. The sticker on your door will not change. You didn't say if it was a 1500HD or just a 1500, so I assume it wasn't an HD.
I wouldn't try to pull the 5er with the half ton truck.
As for changing the tires, watch the weight rating for the 19.5s, some times you only gain speed and not weight capacity. Changing to the bigger size will make your speedometer be off a little but I believe it won't hurt the tranny. MHO.

p.s. don't forget to change the spare also, you'd be suprised at the people that only buy 4 tires/wheels.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hey Guys I'm just joshing there nowway I would change anything on my little Chevy Silverado 1500. It will only tow my little two wheel trailer and haul my John Deere X540 lawn Tractor, and haul our Trash to the collection point. And we had to get the C/C so my dog "Montana" can ride in comfort. I really don't believe in adding anything such as air bags, springs, tires etc. GM is the expert on building Trucks. GBY....
Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,

When is your new coach coming in? Cant wait to see pics of the Sportchassis and coach hooked. I am still toying with the idea of a Sportchassis myself.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave its under the cover, we picked it up last Monday 10 Aug. We have been at home base since last Thursday and are still in the 5th wheel. The Sleep number bed is awesome. And everything is great no issues, had a minor issue with the washer a panel board was loose. We left Elkhart and took two days to get back to home base stoppen and seen the Grandkids in Clarksville, Tn. on the way back also. We have pictures but Delaine has been researching Trucks and Cars for the last several days. Delaine has done a wonderful job got the Silverado today and going to Ala. Friday to get her new Chevy HHR. She will be posting them next week on our Web site. We are very happy how things have turned our. The 5th wheel is awesome, Dave I Love the Traveler roof mounted Dish system, push the button and HDTV. Nice to hear from you. Hope things are going great for you. I Love the Freightliner and now will have to think of another excuse to drive the FL. GBY....
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,
I have taken the M2 on two seperate test drives this summer. Talk about one amazing truck! Glad to hear the new coach is treating you well. Will be checking the blog for updated photos next week. Happy trails...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote