Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ladybugs/Japanese beetles whatever

Living in far northern Wisconsin we thought these little monsters we a local problem. Boy were we wrong. We got to the "View" (Delaine and Lindy's) beautiful home in Linden, TN. today and they followed us. They bite, they stink when squashed and they get into everything. I have no idea where they came form or why the keep following us but I wish they would DIE. We will be spending the next day or so vacuuming them off the window sills, the curtains, the furniture, the dogs, the rig and the truck is full of them again too. I really hate to hope for a freeze but that seems to be the only thing that gets rid of them and a freeze is one thing we headed south to get away from. I love ladybugs (the old style ones) I have used them in all of my gardens over the years and they keep aphids under control and a bunch of other pests. These Japanese beetles are giving the ladybug a bad name. I think the DNRs should have open season on them... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Evidently you've not been in Florida in 'love bug' season. They are so thick in some areas it looks like black snowflakes in the air. And they'll plug up your radiator and eat the paint off your vehicle. In the summer I put screen behind the grill, ahead of the radiator. I'm not sure about other makes but on my truck there is the cooling radiator, a/c condenser, turbo after cooler, and transmission oil cooler out there in front. And if those bugs get imbedded, they're harder than hell to get out.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
What Bob says about the Love bug is true but their infestation is only in spring and fall. Usually around late April and early May and than again in late September. Mostly in northern Florida and southern Alabama and Georgia. As I type this in central Florida there are no Love bugs.

The beetle you are refering to is more of an orange color rather than the Red of the Ladybug. They are also the same size of a Ladybug and YES they do stink if you crush them. I know their name but for the life of me I can't think of it. Someone will be along with their name as we discussed these pests on the MOC before. I also do not recall seeing them down here.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Did you come through KY?

Just kidding, we have a few bugs like what you have described.
I don't like them either.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave sorry about the bugs, they will leave as soon as the temps drop some. Dave you are a real Truck Driver for sure, getting to our place isn't easy and then you have to back up thru a gate about a 1,000'. Forgot to tell you but there is a Grill on the back deck and extra tank of Propane in the out building in front of the Montana use what ever you need. Don't forget you have 1,200 acres behind you and all the way to those 60 acres of hayfield along the river. Just don't forget the Deer hunters, it will get busy in the next Month or so. Also watch the Log Trucks they are kinda busy in some areas. You are also welcome to read the local paper on Wednesday and any of the magazine's. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Look for the key under the hidden rock. With hospitality like that you may want to stay the Winter.

Texas has the Telephone bugs (Love Bugs) also. I call them telephone bugs because they are always hung up!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Dave,
When we went south last January, we had beetles that hitch-hiked along w/us. Took almost two weeks to get all of them. See this link for a picture. http://www.pestproducts.com/images/boxelder2.jpg The other day when I went to winterize the rig, those little pests were everywhere again!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Thanks Wayne, LOL, we plan on being here most of the winter. I say most because where we come from winter lasts till June at the latest but usually May. This is such a sweet place to stay. We really want to thank Delaine and Lindy for this opportunity... Dave
Old 11-04-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave & Betsy, you do have a Key to the house, also we may haven't told you but there is a Storm Shelter under the deck over looking the river. Don't think you will need it until next year but its there. I will have to call and tell you about the key for the other out building. Oh well when we come back there for Delaine's Dads surgery maybe we will have time to show and answer any questions you may have. We are really glad you two are there. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Chris, those are Box Elder bugs, they have been around for years. I remember back in the early 50s and they would hit about the same time each year. They still coat the sunny side of houses in Wisconsin. What I am talking about is Ladybug look a likes... Dave P.S. Delaine, I am PMing you now.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
Also living here in Wisconsin, I know what you're talking about...the Asian beetles! We also have hundreds of them that were all over the sunny side of the Monty and many of them got inside. I can't tell you how many I've vacuumed up. (the trick is to take the vacuum outside & empty it ASAP and as far away as possible.) I'd also be interested in how to repel them for good!!
itaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef416.asp
http://www.ipm.msu.edu/beetleFAQ.htm

Had these little devils all over my MH one year in Eastern Ontario. I used a vacuum to suck them up by the thousands. Though they stink and make a mess they do eat some harmful insects such as aphids. I haven't found a way to clean up the stain that is left by the liquid they exude when they get frightened. I found that if I was careful with the vacuum I could get them before they let loose the liquid.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dave, we have this type beetle in Western NC and we call them Asian Beetles. They are nasty and you covered their smell and bite.

Our home in the Smokey Mountains is sealed real well, however, they get in a few places but not like they used to when we first bought the home. It may not even have to freeze as long as a temp change occurs that is cooler. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Just a little trick I learned when they are crawling across the ceiling. Use a empty Pringles can to just put over them and then slide the can until you hear them fall to the bottom. A few shakes of the can seems to knock them out.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
birdie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1169
I feel better now knowing that we are not the only ones fighting the war with those little critters. Started two days ago when we were packing to leave now we are sitting in Lawrence Ks fighting them and will continue until we get to Yuma.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hey birdie in yuma they go dormat but don't die , so when you come back to the real world you will have them again , its great ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I think I got a handle on the wee beasties getting into the rig. I walked around the rig and especially in the bedroom looking for concentrations of bugs, I found them at at least one bottom corner of each slide. The bedroom slide by the step into the front closet had about a dozen of them on the floor. So outside I went with the flying insect spray and a can of ant and roach spray with residual. I found another dozen by where the side gasket and the bottom gasket come together and there was a small gap there and they just walked into the bedroom. So I sprayed both sprays into and around ALL of the bottom corners of all the slides and the top corners of the kitchen slides. I also hit the same areas inside the rig and for the moment we are relatively bug free. They still get in when the door is open but those are easily caught and flushed. A light spray on the window slides works too. Hopefully that shoud hold them back for awhile... Dave
Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Asian Beetle update. It worked, the bugs are down 90%. Today there were only a dozen in the rig and they piled up on the vinyl floor by the shower where I sprayed the and and Roach spray. It appears that that was the major infiltration point so I went back out and hit that area a bit more. To quote a phrase from Independence Day "They Can Be Killed"... Dave
Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
About those Florida Lovebugs....the only good part is that they don't bite. We live in Florida fulltime and you would think we would know better. We took a weeks vacation over in Clermont (near Disney) during the height of love bug season in Sept. The pool area and white chairs and tables were infested. I was outside (using my white plastic table) painting and they got into my turpentine and paints. What a mess. They do come off the front of the vehicles and Monty very easily with either a bounce sheet or any fabric softener sheet.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote