Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
recycled teenager

M.O.C. #8207
TrailerSaver with Mor/Ryde Pin box & RE Suspension

I recently purchased my first 5th wheel, a 2005 Montana 3400RL in Chicago. At the time, I didn't have a towing vehicle, so I hired a local driver to haul it home to Detroit. His truck was a 2005 Silverado 3500HD SRW equipped with a solid Reese hitch.

The (300) mile ride home was very uncomfortable due to the bouncing and fore and aft jerking. For me, traveling around the country this way is totally unacceptable. So I decided to purchase a TrailerSaver Air Suspension Hitch that I had seen in a recent RV show.

I now have a 2008 Siverado 3500HD, crew cab, long bed 4 x 4, SRW with a Duramax diesel engine and a TrailerSaver hitch. I have not hauled the trailer yet, because it would be difficult to remove the trailer from the storage area due to the snow banks created when plowing.

Would purchasing either a Mor/Ryde Pin Box or Rubber Equalizer Suspension system (or both) noticeably improve my ride? Would this be an over kill? Has anyone gone this route themselves?

recycled teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Doug, First, welcome to "THE BEST DARNED FORUM ON THE WWW". Second, I have the Mor-Ryde pin box, but just a Husky 16k slider hitch. After adding the pin box, MOST of the chucking is gone. I'm told that the trailair hitch and Mor-Ryde is a great combo. Hitch takes care of up and down motion while pin box takes care of chucking. Should be a great ride. Of course, everyone has their own idea of a great ride, but I think you are well on your way to liking it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have the Mor-Ryde pin box and would not travel without it. The trips we have taken to Alaska in 2007 and out West in 2006 for a total of about 17,000 miles towing the Monty with this setup were great. A very nice ride for us in a F350 long bed with a fixed 16K Reese hitch. You will like the Mor-Ryde. Hope to see you on the road!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
recycled teenager, If you have the Trailer Saver air ride hitch you don't need a Trailair pin box. Go with the Mor/Ryde pin box. The Mor/Ryde Rubber suspension is great. I had the same set up on my last 5th. The Trailer Saver is the best hitch on the market. I also had Mor/Ryde install the Disk Brake system. If I had to change anything I would go with the Mor/Ryde independ suspension. I wish I had the extra money for the Trailer Saver hitch. However I also pull a Gooseneck equipment trailer and went with the B&W turn over ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. I also went with the Trailair pin box, haven't towed but a 130 miles but it seems to work. I can remove the 5th wheel hitch in 10 minutes and the Truck bed is clean. I had the Trailer Saver in two Chevy 3500 and also on the Chevy Kodiak 4500 its a awesome hitch. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Theoretically what you are trying to do sounds like the ultimate - the trailersaver serving to buffer the up and down motion - and a Mor-Ryde pin plate serving the fore and aft chucking -

However - I think if it were me I would just try out what you have first and let that expensive trailersaver hitch show you what it can do before you invest more money. You may already have a great ride!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Brad is right on this statement.

However - I think if it were me I would just try out what you have first and let that expensive trailersaver hitch show you what it can do before you invest more money. You may already have a great ride!

I have the TRAILER SAVER and would not be with out it. I know a lot will disagree as this same subject has been discussed before.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
There are lots of us towing out there without the better hitches and pinboxes and we do just fine. I would think that it becomes a matter of how much you want to spend and how much comfort you need. I have 90k on my Silverado and over half of it was with the Montana behind with just the Reese hitch. Our next unit will probably have the Moreryd pin box.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Repeat of many many many posts:

If we knew then, what we know now!

AIR HITCH! PERIOD.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Recyled Teenager,
1st, love that name. We made our 1st journey this weekend and with the basic 20k reese hitch. I use my Dodge dually everyday as a daily rider and the trk rode great/ even better, pulling a load than, solo.I've heard this alot about Duallys. So for now, my 5th airborne will take a back seat to other projects like- forward 2nd air(Alabama gets a little warm). Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I agree with the comments about giving it a try before investing in anything else. One of the causes of the rough ride you experienced could very well be the fact that your new trailer was unloaded. Get a bunch of stuff in the "basement" to load up the pin and you will improve the ride immediately. After that, hit the archives for lots of good ideas and combinations of cures before doing any add-ons.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with Dave and Victoria on this. Not all combinations have a bad ride. Load is part of it. Another is balance, meaning that neither too much weight nor too little weight is on the pin. Another has to do with the relationship of tow vehicle to trailer, meaning wheelbase on the truck related to distance between truck rear axle and trailer axles, or even just the latter. And, of course, the road surface is a major factor.

The ride with our combination is very acceptable. Not perfect, but not at all uncomfortable. The only combination of tv and trailer that had excessive herky jerky was our 1999 F350 supercab shortbed and a 2001 Montana 2880RL. That same truck with our 2003 Montana 3295RK was fine. And the 3295RK with our 2005 F250 crew cab shortbed was fine. And that Ford with our 3400RL was fine as is our Dodge with the 3400RL. Only that one combination was bad. You just don't know until you try it. Then, if it's bad, spend the money for the pinbox or hitch that eats those movements. We do not have a need. But if we had the bad ride I'd sure be getting a solution.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote